Cooperation to Fight Homophobia
[Symbraxi Kata tis Omofilofovias (in greek)]
At the dusk of 1995 a new gay group was founded in Thessaloniki. The "Cooperation Agsinst Homophobia" ("Symbraxi Kata tis Omofilofovias").
According to their mission statement their "organization aims to contribute to the extinction of homophobia and to improve the quality of life and relations between homosexuals, bisexuals and even heterosexuals, men and women in our society".
Even though at the dawn of its age, the "Cooperation" is very active, and following the evolution of the gay movement in the west, it is not a ghettoed group, but it has opened itself up to society, and it is cooparating with other governmental and non-governmental organizations, to more effectively persue its goals.
The group cooparate -among others- with the Thessaloniki chapter of the
"Geniki Grammatia Neas Genias", the governmental organization for youth, as well as with the
local "Committee Against Racism, Xenophobia, Antisemitism, and Intolerance", of the Council of Europe. In early sping 1996 the group together with EOK announced their cooperation in forming a panhellenic association of gay organizations.
Activities of the "Cooperation":
- providing information about homosexuality and rising homosexual visibility, by organizing public discussions, interviews in the media, and airing their own radio show once a month (Rodon Radio FM 92.5 (radio station based in Serres))
(Here are the minutes (in greek) of the open discussion about "gay marriage", the group successfully organized on March 7th 1996, with the participation of prominent academics)
- publishing the minutes of the lectures they organize, and contributing to the manual "To Alphabitari tou Ratsismou" put out by the "Committee Against Racism Xenophobia Antisemitism and Intolerance" (Chapter of Thessaloniki).
- media watch and monitoring
- maintaining a library with (greek-language) books about homosexuality, at their offices, open to public. The collection currently counts 100 titles and is still growing.
- holding parties;
- maintaining a 24 hour support-and-communication phone line:031-249591
- participated in the "10 days festival of Voluntary Work in Thessaloniki" (Oct. 11-20 1996) which was organized by the "Organization of Thessaloniki Caltural Capital of Europe"
- publishing a monthly bulletin, the "Vitamin O". "Vitamin O" comes in two versions: a four-pages' paper version (handed out free) and an electronic one, also free from their web site.
For an agenda of current and forthcoming events and activities, please refer to "Vitamin O" as well as to the activities section of their web site
EOK-Chapter of Thessaloniki: "Cooperation Against Homophobia",
51 Philippou Str., 1rst floor, GR54631, Thessaloniki, Greece.
24 hour tel. line:031-249591
Disclaimer: The info presented here is unofficial. I do not represent any of the above mentioned groups here or anywhere. Quoting passages that originate in the groups' publications, does not nesessarily mean that I adopt any opinions, explicit or implied, expressed in them.
Special thanks to Nikos and Vagelis from the "Cooperation" for their help in setting up and updating this page.
This page was last modified: March 19th, 1997.
Back to Roz Mov's main page