Subject: Amendment 2 and Youth
From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 May 1996 22:51:26 GMT

National Advocacy Coalition on Youth and Sexual Orientation
1711 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Suite 206
Washington, DC 20009
202/319-7596 (phone)
[email-masked] (email)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, May 21, 1996
Washington, DC

SUPREME COURT'S RULING ON AMENDMENT 2 GIVES GAY, LESBIAN AND BISEXUAL YOUTH A
GIFT OF HOPE

(The following statement is attributable to Rea Carey, Director, National
Advocacy Coalition on Youth and Sexual Orientation.)

We can not underestimate the impact of the Supreme Court's Amendment 2 ruling
on our nation's gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth.  With the initial passage
of Amendment 2, youth in Colorado and across the country experienced a
stinging slap in the face and the erosion of their vision for a safe and
supportive future.  While these young people will have to continue to fight
their daily battles for survival, the Supreme Court has given them one step
toward an equal playing field with their straight peers.

With policy after policy chipping away at the lives of gay, lesbian and
bisexual youth over the last year, the Supreme Court's decision provides a
gift of hope for a society in which these young people are valued and can
take their rightful place as productive citizens.  Gay, lesbian and bisexual
youth will go to sleep tonight one step closer to freedom and one step
further from state-sanctioned hatred.

[The National Advocacy Coalition on Youth and Sexual Orientation, sponsored
by the Hetrick-Martin Institute, addresses public policy issues related to
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth through the collaboration of a
broad coalition of over 100 national and community-based organizations across
the country.]

-- 
--s.s.y.glb-- This article approved by <[email-masked]> Mary L. Gray--
	* for posting to the newsgroup email: <[email-masked]>
	* for posting to the moderators email: <[email-masked]>
	* to check the FAQ go to: <http://www.youth.org/ssyglb>