From: [email-masked] (Thomas W. Holt Jr.)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 07:48 GMT

The Invisible Minority in Our Schools: Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Youth
What Can Be Done?  Specific Recommendations.

1.  Inservice training for all staff.

2.  Parent presentations in the evenings.

3.  Classroom speakers.

4.  Include gay, lesbian, bisexual resources in school resource lists.

5.  Include gay-sensitive books in libraries.

6.  Establish anti-slur policy in each school.

7.  Include discussion of gay, lesbian, bisexual issues in the class as
    with any other minority issues.

8.  Enact anti-discrimination policies that safeguard sexual orientation in
    teacher contracts.

9.  Designate gay-sensitive staff persons at each school site to act as
    resource persons for sexual minority youth.

10.  Implement a program specifically designed to meet the needs of the
     gay, lesbian, bisexual minority such as Project 10 in  Los Angeles.

11.  Provide positive role-models, both historical (Michelangelo, Gertrude
     Stein, James Baldwin) and current (especially teachers and other on
     site-staff), as with any other minority.

Please note for those in vicinity of South Bay, San Francisco CA: The Bay
Area Network of Gay and Lesbian Educators (BANGLE); Parents, Families and
Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), and the Lesbian, Gay, Sexual
Awareness Program (LGBAP) are prepared to assist schools in the
implementation of any or all of the above recommendations or other
strategies specific to individual schools.
BANGLE: Ron Schmidt 408-298-1231.

LGBAP: P.O. Box 61011, Palo Alto CA, 94306; 408-723-7350.

PFLAG: 408-270-8182 or 415-857-1058.

Santa Cruz: PFLAG: Carla Holt, 408-395-9377
                    Triangle Speakers 408-335-2393, 849 Almar #C222, Santa
Cruz CA 95060.
-*-*-*-*-*
Jessea Greenman, SAO, ESPM, UCB
112 Giannini Hall, Berkeley CA 94720
510-642-6730; <[email-masked]>
"If the world were a logical place,
        men would ride side-saddle." Rita Mae Brown