Curently employed as a Systems Support Sepecialist with the Computing Services Center of
the University of Otago (Dunedin, New Zealand), I specialise in *NIX/OSF, (Open)VMS (yuk!)
and UniVerse systems support along with considerable dabbling with NetWare, PCs and
Macintoshes. I've had fun getting to this position though:
- Worked as a process worker in a brewery (hic!)
- Worked as a technical assistant in a slaughterhouse laboratory
- Graduated with BSc Honours in Chemistry here at Otago
- Employed as a meteorological technician on a proposed aluminium smelter project (it was never built in the
- Gained a COP in Computer Science
- Employed as a computer operator (does anyone have them anymore?) with the CSC
- Now in current position pandering to 15,000 students, lots of general staff and far too many academics ;-)
The days of political activism have all but come to an end for me in this blessed little country. As of 1 February 1994 it
has become illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or health status (which includes HIV/AIDS). Since
the decriminalization of consenting homosexual activity for those 16 and over 1n 1986, I have been rallying to the cause
for equal rights. The battle is now almost won. By almost, I mean that we must now ensure that the new legislation
When overseas, however, I still like to fight for our rights. Last year in NYC I joined in on a Campaign for Military
Service protest and I still join in on FAX zaps and the like from my, now, Antipodean little haven.
My first and foremost love is to travel! Regular (every 1 to 2 years) trips abroad are the one and only thing that
keep me sane in these isolated isles. I've visited Australia several times, Canada twice, and in 1993 did the big
3 month "Overseas Experience" meeting and staying with many net.friends and net.personalities and the occassional
net.omnipotent in the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Oh to do it all again... SOON!!!!
Other interests include music (listening and a little playing), cycling, philately, netsurfing, walking, theatre
and of course anything to do with cute men any time of day!
Where I Can Be Reached
I will always be able to receive e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
And don't forget, any net.queerfolk are welcome to contact me if they're visiting New Zealand. Dunedin's
a long way from Auckland but it's closest to all the best bits of the country! :-)
Queer Resources Directory / QRDstaff@vector.intercon / 10 Feb 1994