Subject: Queer Action Group Formed in Capital
From: "Overt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 17:37:26 +1200

Overt adjective open, unconcealed

E-mail: [email-masked] ~ Web-site: 
http://www2.crosswinds.net/~overt 

Regan Andrew- Media Officer

76B McAlpine Avenue ~ Mt Cook ~ Wellington ~ New Zealand 

Phone +64-4-3844869 ~ E-mail: [email-masked]

MEDIA STATEMENT

May 3, 1999

QUEER ACTION GROUP FORMED IN CAPITAL:

On the 28th of April a group of concerned citizens in Wellington, New 
Zealand formed an action group called "Overt" to insure that the rights 
of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people are protected. It is an 
ongoing organisation opposed to all forms of discrimination against the 
queer community. Overt is a group dedicated to combating homophobia and 
heterocentrism wherever it may be and aims to promote a safer world for 
queer people. 

Overt was formed in response to anti-queer pamphlets being distributed 
by an anonymous Christian group around the centre of Wellington on the 
weekend of April 23rd. The pamphlets contained loaded, biased and 
un-informed pieces of propaganda. However, these "Christians" were not 
expecting the large number of vocal opponents they would encounter while 
distributing their information. They were surrounded by a large group of 
angry queers who pacifically tried to convince them that their beliefs 
and actions were destructive and morally wrong. When the people who were 
distributing the propaganda were questioned about the information 
contained in the pamphlets, it became apparent that they had undertaken 
very limited research on the topic. In response, the group of queer 
people realised that an action group was necessary in the capital to 
combat such dangerous prejudice. Overt was born several days later. 

Although Overt is not a religious group, it is not opposed to 
Christianity. Rather, Overt is opposed to the Church being used to put 
forward homophobic concepts. Overt recognises that a queer way of life 
and Christianity can co-exist and are compatible within the individual. 
Likewise, Overt does not oppose heterosexuality or heterosexuals, but 
instead protests the discrimination levelled against queer people in 
general.

Overt will challenge homophobia within society regardless of whether it 
is in the form of aggression, violence, religion, legislation, or even 
within institutions. Homophobia is the unqualified hatred of queer 
people caused by prejudice, bigotry, heterocentrism, lack of 
understanding and misinformation. It is a widespread force in our 
society which spreads fear and hatred within both its victims and 
perpetuators. Such a force has a negative affect on society as it 
eliminates the possibility for a harmonious existence for all, and as 
such, it must be eliminated. Homophobia denies basic human rights to a 
large portion of society.

One of the primary causes of homophobia is heterocentrism. However, most 
people are oblivious to the existence of such a fundamental societal 
problem. Heterocentrism is the domination of heterosexual values and 
principles upon all people through the exclusion of queer values and 
visibility. People are surrounded from birth by the concept of 
heterosexuality- most parents are heterosexual, most grandparents are 
heterosexual, most parent's friends are heterosexual and the media 
shows a disproportionate number of heterosexual people. Meanwhile, very 
few queer role models are provided. Although this may not be a conscious 
attempt to exclude queer people, they are excluded nonetheless. 

Such a situation creates hatred against queer people because of a 
general fear of the unknown. It also creates depression and self-hatred 
within queer individuals. People need to feel a form of acceptance and 
inclusion within society, otherwise, even the most talented and 
confident people can feel as if they have little worth as a member of 
society due to their isolation from it. Fighting alienation should be an 
aim of every society. Overt recognises the huge dangers of 
heterocentrism and will combat it wherever it is seen. Currently these 
dangers are very apparent with the high suicide rate amongst young 
queers, particularly in New Zealand - a nation easily classed as the 
suicide capital of the world.

Overt will battle homophobia and heterocentrism through activism, 
advocacy and visibility of and for gay, lesbian, bisexual and 
transgender people. Initially the group will be publicising the 
compatibility of homosexuality and Christianity, identifying legislative 
short-falls, creating networks with similar organisations such as the 
Lesbian Avengers and dealing with individual topics on an issue by issue 
basis. Several projects are currently being undertaken by Overt 
including involvement with the International Day of Silence on May 19th. 
Also, a pamphlet is currently being created and an Overt web site is up 
and running at http://www2.crosswinds.net/~overt. 

ENDS

Contact: Regan Andrew - Phone: (04) 3844869 E-mail: [email-masked]