Subject: Overt Supports National Day of Silence
From: "Overt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 15:03:11 +1200

Overt adjective open, unconcealed

E-mail: [email-masked] ~ Web-site: 
http://www2.crosswinds.net/~overt 

PO Box 12270, Thorndon, Wellington

Regan Andrew- Media Officer

Phone +64-4-3844869 ~ E-mail: [email-masked]

MEDIA STATEMENT

May 17, 1999

Overt Supports the National Day of Silence

Overt is supporting the National Day of Silence on Wednesday, May 19th to
protest attitudes, actions and policies that mean gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender people world-wide are forced to keep silent. Homophobia and
heterocentrism have resulted in hate crimes against the queer community for
far too long and they must stop.  The gruesome murder of Matthew Shepherd
who was tied to a fence and tortured for being gay last year in the USA is
one graphic reminder of the dangers of such actions and attitudes.

Currently in Wellington there is an increasing level of violence against the
queer community and Overt refuses to tolerate such behaviour.  To display
our disgust, Overt will have members in the central city area on
Wednesday wearing gags and handing out pamphlets.  This will symbolise the
silence that surrounds the queer community world-wide.  This organised,
visible silence will raise awareness of Takatapui, lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and transgender (LGBT) issues.

Please understand our reasons for not speaking on Wednesday.  People who are
silent on the National Day of Silence believe that laws and attitudes should
be inclusive of people of all sexual orientations. The Day of Silence is to
draw attention to those who have been silenced by hatred, oppression, and
prejudice. Think about the voices you are not hearing. What can you do to
end the silence?  Fight the oppression.

ENDS

Contact: Regan Andrew mailto:[email-masked], or phone 04 3844869