Subject: Overt Cancels Protest at the Rock
From: "Overt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:35:17 +1200

MEDIA STATEMENT

19/5/199

Overt Cancels Protest at the Rock

Overt has been assured by The Rock Church that no attempts will be made by a
speaker tonight to reform Exodus International in New Zealand and that no
such attempts will be made in the foreseeable future. Because of this
announcement by Carl daCosta, Overt has decided that its planned protest
tonight is unnecessary as its aims have already been achieved. Overt is
satisfied that these assertions are true and several members will be
attending the seminar this evening to insure that they are accurate.
However, according to daCosta's testimony it does appear that the speaker
will be discussing homosexuality as a form of "sexual brokenness". Although
Overt opposes such rhetoric, the group is unable to take any effective
action against it due to a trespass warning by daCosta. The church has also
banned Overt from handing out any pamphlets regarding the compatibility of
Christianity and homosexuality on the grounds of the Church tonight. Overt
offered to let the organiser of the seminar read these pamphlets prior to
them being handed out but the offer was not accepted. However, daCosta
suggested that Overt may be able to do so in the future.

DaCosta also claims that some statements made by Overt have been incorrect.
Overt is currently checking these statements with their anonymous sources to
ensure they are true. If these statements are in anyway inaccurate, then
Overt would like to disassociate themselves with these sources and will
withdraw the allegations.

Overt has also been informed that another queer rights action group may be
holding a protest at The Rock Church tonight. Overt would also like to
distance themselves from this protest as Overt's vigil has been cancelled
and all of its members are currently being contacted to inform them of this.

ENDS

Contact: Regan Andrew <[email-masked]> or phone 04 3844869

Overt Wellington -
[email-masked]
http://www2.crosswinds.net/~overt
PO Box 12270, Thorndon, Wellington