Subject: UniQ Pride Week Itinerary
From: "Regan Andrew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:39:53 +1200

Pride Week(s) Itinerary 1999

Monday 19th July - Thursday 25th July

ALL WEEK

Pride flag in the Atrium

Pride Week Salient

Get visible: wear your UniQ T-shirt!

MONDAY 19th JULY

History of Pride Panel Discussion:  Meeting Rooms 1&2 12-2pm

TUESDAY 20th JULY

GLBT political forum: Memorial Theatre Foyer 1-3pm

Queer Eastside

"Randy Randerson & the Hot Dog Stands" and "The Shirleys".

Eastside Bar, Student Union Building 5-7pm

WEDNESDAY 21st JULY

UniQ stall in the quad Clubs Day:  Quad 11:30am - 2:30pm

Intersex in the New Millennia: Re-constructing a Reality:  Upper Common Room 3-4:30pm

THURSDAY 22nd JULY

Short Films - "Miss Crowe" and other Stories:  Upper Common Room 12-2

The Great Big Social Shindig Party Thang

A UniQ SGM, pizza party and fuck-a-ware party all in the same time slot: Meeting Room 2 5-8pm

FRIDAY 23rd JULY

Sarah Bickerton:  Really Inclusive? Transgender in the University Environment

Upper Common Room 12-2pm

SATURDAY 24th JULY

COME OUT & PLAY - a dance party for queers & friends.

Shows: Pollyfilla

DJ Woody

The saucy bit: the theme is FETISH

Take it how you like - rubber, PVC, lingerie, xdress, mesh, shine,
cyber, corsets, boots, B&D, S&M, heels, studs, leather, police officers,
sailor boys/girls, schoolboys/girls, feathers, fake fur ... or what ever
works for you.

STUDIONINE 10pm-early

TICKETS $10 from Vic Book Centre, Body Worship & Bojangles

($15 on the night)

after & pre-parties as Bojangles

SUNDAY 25th-THURSDAY 29th JULY

LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN

a play by OSCAR WILDE

Almost exclusively students from Victoria University, the cast plays

Wilde's fascinating and very real characters in a way new and unique
way, questioning the construction of relationships that exist between
people and the motives therein, in Wilde's time and now.

Starring Judith Wayers ("Ophelia Thinks Harder") as Lady Windermere,
Scott Anderson as Lord Windermere, Michelle Fraser as Lord Darlington
and Tanja Clarke ("Best Part of the Meal") as Mrs. Erlynne.

Directed by Blaise Orsman and Siobhann McCafferty.

Presented in association with VUWSA Drama Club and

kindly supported by Heritage Nyonya Restaurant, Body Worship and Smoke Stop

Phoenix Theatre, Dixon Street 8:30pm

Tickets $12/10 from Phoenix

============================================================

From: "Regan Andrew" <[email-masked]>
Subject: UniQ Pride Week at Victoria University
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:39:40 +1200

MEDIA RELEASE:

Pride Week at Victoria University

Pride Week is becoming a long-established and well-loved tradition for gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgender students at Victoria University. This
year's offering is scheduled for the 19th - 29th of July, and is organised
by queer students through their group UniQ Victoria.  Don't forget to tell
everyone you know!!

Many students will remember last year's Pride Week, and this year's offering
hopes to deliver similar satisfaction with some new and interesting events,
as well as old favourites. All week the Pride flag will be displayed in the
Atrium and UniQ members will be encouraged to wear their UniQ T-shirt. Also
the University newspaper - Salient - will have a queer theme throughout for
the week. It will contain heaps of articles, information and details of
events.

On Monday 19th of July there will be a History of Pride Panel Discussion
featuring Allison Kirkman, Philip Knight and Ngahuia Te Awekotuku. These
academics from several subject areas will discuss angles on and aspects of
queer pride including some fascinating histories. They will also take
questions from the floor. This expository event will take place in Meeting
Rooms 1 & 2 at 12-2pm.

A political forum will take place on Tuesday 20th at the Memorial Theatre
Foyer 1-3pm. Representatives from political parties will talk about their
policies that impact on people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or
transgender. This is an opportunity for people to ask the questions they've
always wanted to - a fantastic opportunity in an election year. Also on
Tuesday, the queer bands "Randy Randerson & the Hot Dog Stands" and "The
Shirleys" will be playing at Eastside Bar in the Student Union Building from
5-7pm.

Wednesday's events will start off at 11:30am with a UniQ stall in the quad
for Clubs Day. Here you will be able to get information about UniQ and buy
tickets to the play and party. In the Upper Common Room from 3 - 4:30pm,
Mani Bruce Mitchell from the Intersex Society of Aotearoa/New Zealand will
be doing a talk titled "Intersex in the New Millennia: Re-constructing a
Reality". The discussion will revolve around gender constructions, and how
Intersex people (those born with ambiguous genitalia) break through these.

Thursday is going to be a BIG day with two "must attend" events. Showing in
the Upper Common Room from 12 - 2 there will be a few "queer" short films.
"Miss Crowe" and other Stories by 17-year-old filmmaker Andrew Boreham are
about a drag queen's progression to living life as a woman full time. All
the films are by Wellington queer filmmakers and there will be a drag show
afterwards! To finish off the day will be the aptly named "Great Big Social
Shindig Party Thang". To summarise, this will be several events rolled into
one- a UniQ SGM, pizza party and fuck-a-ware party all in the same time
slot. This event is open to GLBT students and their friends and will be in
Meeting Room 2 from 5-8pm.

In association with Flat-out, UniQ has Sarah Bickerton from Canterbury
University coming to speak on Friday in the Upper Common Room from 12-2pm.
Sarah Bickerton is a Sociology Masters student and her talk is titled
"Really Inclusive? Transgender in the University Environment". This is a
unique opportunity not to be missed.

The big events in this year's Pride Week are notably different from previous
years. Some may remember the popular "Decadence" dance parties held in Pride
Week by UniQ. This year, a smaller dance party called "Come Out & Play" is
to be held at STUDIONINE on Saturday July 24th, from 10 p.m. till the early
hours. There will also be before and after parties at Bojangles. Suraya
Singh from UniQ says that "Come out and Play" will be a dance party for
queers & their friends. There will be a show from well-known Wellington
performer "Pollyfilla" with DJ Woody returning once more to provide his
fantastic musical skills. The theme for the party is fetish, which can be
taken in a number of ways - rubber, PVC, lingerie, xdress, mesh, shine, B&D,
S&M, leather, police officers, sailor boys/girls, fake fur ... or what ever
works for you. Tickets cost $10 and are available from the Vic Book Centre,
Body Worship & Bojangles, with door sales at $15.

For the dramatically orientated comes a combined production between UniQ and
the university Drama Club. It will be a camped-up and very glamorous
interpretation of Oscar Wilde's masterpiece "Lady Windermere's Fan" showing
at Phoenix Theatre July 25th to 29th. The cast is almost exclusively
students from Victoria University and they play Wilde's fascinating and very
real characters in a new and unique way, questioning the construction of
relationships that exist between people and the motives therein, in Wilde's
time and now. The play stars Judith Wayers ("Ophelia Thinks Harder") as Lady
Windermere, Scott Anderson as Lord Windermere, Michelle Fraser as Lord
Darlington and Tanja Clarke ("Best Part of the Meal") as Mrs. Erlynne.
Blaise Orsman and Siobhann McCafferty direct it with the kind support of
Heritage Nyonya Restaurant, Body Worship and Smoke Stop. Tickets cost $12/10
from Phoenix theatre in Dixon St with the play beginning at 8:30pm.

UniQ Pride Week events are open to students and non-students of all sexual
orientations. More information on the events planned for Pride Week at Vic
can be obtained from [email-masked], or on their web page
www.sans.vuw.ac.nz/~uniq, snail mail UniQ, C/- VUWSA, Victoria University,
PO Box 600, Wellington or phone Jacques on (04) 4758233.