=============================================================
>From the Action Alerts column in the December 1992 issue of
Socialism and Sexuality, the quarterly newsletter of the
Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual Commission of the Democratic Socialists
of America.  You may reproduce this information freely pro-
vided you credit the source.

For information on the Commission's electronic mailing list
contact [email-masked]

Subscriptions to S+S are $8 per year payable to Chicago DSA,
1608 N. Milwaukee #403, Chicago, IL 60647.
============================================================

November 24, 1992

TASMANIAN ACTIVISTS NEED SUPPORT FOR SODOMY DECRIMINALIZATION

The Tasmanian Gay and Lesbian Rights Group is calling on
lesbian, gay, and bisexual activists around the world to put
pressure on Australian officials to repeal Sections 122(a),
122(c), and 123 of the Tasmanian Criminal Code.  These laws
criminalize consensual sex between adult men in private,
and provide for a maximum penalty of 21 years in prison.

In 1988, Tasmanian activists circulated petitions calling
for the repeal of these laws.  In response, Tasmanian police
stepped up their enforcement of the laws and ultimately
arrested over 130 people in connection with the laws.
Later the government dropped the charges against these
people.  This was the first enforcement of the sodomy laws
in 10 years.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

The Tasmanian activists ask that you write to the following
officials of the Australian government and request that they
work for "gay law reform".  Australian activists prefer this
term to "repeal of the sodomy laws".  Point out that the laws
are rarely enforced and are discriminatory, and hence undermine
the credibility of the criminal code.  Also note that the laws
violate the fundamental human right to privacy, which should be
enjoyed by all citizens regardless of sexual orientation.

Paul Keating
Prime Minister
Parliament House
Canberra ACT
AUSTRALIA 2600

Ray Groom
Premier
Parliament House
Hobart, Tasmania
AUSTRALIA 7000

Air-mail letters from the U.S. to Australia require a 50-cent stamp.
Note that Australia's ruling Labor Party is a sister party of DSA in
the Socialist International.

Send copies of any letters you send or receive during this campaign
to the Tasmanian Gay and Lesbian Rights Group, GPO Box 1733, Hobart,
Tasmania, Australia 7000.