Subject: Gay Aborigines to gather for second 'Corroborree'
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:29:30 +1100

Gay Aborigines to gather for second 'Corroborree'

Indigenous gays and lesbians, their friends and lovers will gather at
Sydney's PRIDE Community Centre 3-8pm, May 25 for the second social
gathering organised by this new group.

The event follows the first enormously successful 'Corroborree' held two
days before the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras parade in February, 1997.
One of the event's organisers, Rodney Junga, said "all Aboriginal gay
people, lovers and non-Aboriginal supporters are welcome, we'll have a
BBQ and some entertainment but, most importantly, we'll have lots and
lots of black faces."
Another organiser, Tony Cornish, said, "I must admit that I was very
apprehensive when the idea was first put to me, to start an Aboriginal
Gay Men's support group. I mean to say, why would an organisation or
anybody want to start a support group for gay Aboriginal men (and
women)?"
"I guess you could say that it doesn't really matter, because it has
given us the opportunity that we so desperately needed. I was especially
surprised to see at the first 'Corroborree' that there are so many of us
out there, wanting to support our new venture."
"We really need to get this family back together, and show main stream
Australia that we are people too. And that we just want to contribute
our part to that overall sense of community spirit."
Said PRIDE's HIV/AIDS Community Development Worker, Paul Canning, "we
see our support for this initiative as one of the best and most
important things to have come out of PRIDE. We will be working to
support Rodney, Tony and all the other people involved in this group."
PRIDE Executive Officer, Bronte Morris, echoed Canning's comments saying
"I am thrilled by the acces and participation which has happened in this
group, this is what this organisation is all about".
Morris noted that PRIDE has also enthusiastically supported the
reconciliation process, signing a statement from the Sydney Gay &
Lesbian community to be released during National Reconciliation Week.

Corroborree II, PRIDE Centre, 26 Hutchinson St, Surry Hills, Sunday May
25, 3pm - 8pm. Entry is by gold coin donation.

Contact [email-masked] for more information.