Subject: PRIDE information e-mail out
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 23:31:36 +1000

PRIDE information e-mail out
----------------------------

over 500 served!

PRIDE Week 1997
PRIDE Week umbrella events
Pride interstate
Stonewall 1978
Funny Farm
Queerstage
Sydney Bisexual Youth
Martial Arts Club
OzPoz
Explorer - about being gay
Outskirts 
Harbour City Bears
HIV/AIDS CareGivers Bulletin Board
GAMMA
geekGirl
Brisbane PRIDE Festival
Judy Small
How To Lobby Politicians
Sydney Gay History Walks
New ScFi List
Reconciliation mailing list
Action for gay marriage
The Grapevine Tribune <GLBT News and Action Site>
OZ Women Studies/Gender Studies list
Gay/Lesbian Hong Kong

---> PRIDE Week 1997

More info @ http://pride.queer.org.au/sydney/
Thanks Chris!

Replacing Wednesday June 25 Film night will be a forum @ PRIDE on youth.

Entries for the Bent Heads art competition are now open. A prize is
offered for the best portrait of a queer identity. Artists are not
limited to any medium but works should be no larger than 1m x 1.5m.
Deadline is June 13. Works will be exhibited @ the Centre during PRIDE
week. For an entry form call (02) 9331 1333 or mailto:[email-masked]

---> PRIDE Week umbrella events

--> Saturday June 21
We started the Stonewall riot, so now we're starting the Stonewall Week
celebrations with the 1997 TRANY PRIDE BALL. 
10pm @ Caesars Palace, 386-388 Parramatta Rd, Petersham. $5 at the door.
Shows on the hour 11pm-2am. Dress as glam as you can! 
Info: Norrie @ (02) 9569 2366.

--> Thursday June 26 
Lesbian & Gay Anti Violence Project forum on homophobia with Professor
Greg Herek (world reknowned expert) from the University of California,
6pm @ the PRIDE Centre.
mailto:[email-masked]

---> Pride interstate

For more info on Pride events in Queensland and WA go to:
http://pride.queer.org.au/

---> Stonewall 1978

A number of people who were at the 1978 Gay Mardi Gras are talking about
putting a group entry in the 1998 Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras (21st mardi
gras, 20th anniversary of mardi gras). If you were there in 1978 and
want to find out what's going on, send an email to Craig Johnston at
mailto:[email-masked]

---> Funny Farm

@ Kinselas May 28. $10!

---> Queerstage

A new e-mail list has been set up for Queer writers, actors, artists and
performers who wish to partake of some cyber-community networking and
discussion. It is hoped that artists in the Queer world will join the
list to communicate ideas and keep in touch with other artists. To join
the list post an email to: [email-masked]
with the words: subscribe queerstage

---> Sydney Bisexual Youth

Meets regularly @ PRIDE. For more info:
mailto:[email-masked]

---> Martial Arts Club

Runs Saturdays @ PRIDE. Kung Fu 11-12, Kickboxing 12-1. Beginners
welcome. $8 per class, $12 both. Wear comfortable clothes. More info
from Penny Gulliver (day) 9130 8064 (eve) 9718 1870

---> OzPoz mailing list

Correction to contact details given before
mailto:[email-masked] 
http://www.houseoflove.com.au/ozpoz

---> Explorer - about being gay

An opportunity to look more closely at the way we live as gay men - the
questions we ask, the challenges we face, the disappointments we bear,
the celebrations we enjoy.
The course will run over six weeks. the first two sessions will be open
to casual attendance, after which the group will be closed.
Session one: Exploring our personal stories. Sunday May 18, 6-8pm @
PRIDE.
More info: mailto:[email-masked]

---> Lesbian Space first birthday!

First birthday party, Sunday May 18 from 1pm. With Creme (live music)
and other entertainment. Food provided. $10/5.
Lesbian Space is @ 43 Bedford St, Newtown.
mailto:[email-masked]

---> Outskirts 

Outskirts is a feminist, cultural studies journal published annually in
September. It is our aim to provide a space in which various media,
including graphics, photography, stories, reviews and critical essays
are brought together to discuss and contest the issues involving women
and feminisms, not just today, but throughout history. Outskirts' design
is to be adventurous with broad appeal. 
CALL FOR PAPERS
Outskirts is seeking to encourage lively and adventurous writing from a
variety of feminist perspectives. We welcome contributions from a range
of disciplines and areas of interest. These include: political and
social comment; literary and cultural criticism; film theory and
criticism; poetry and short fiction; graphics/photographs; interviews;
reviews
The closing date for the September 1997 edition is Friday 13 June.
http://www.arts.uwa.edu.au/EnglishWWW/Outskirts/outskirts.html
mailto:[email-masked]

---> Harbour City Bears

Harbour City Bears is a Sydney-based group of bears and their admirers.
Without weighing too much into the "What is a bear?" debate, we believe
a bear to be a gay man who is comfortable with being themselves, whoever
they are, whether they are tall or short, fat or thin, old or young. Not
all bears have facial and/or body hair, but most tend to do so. We are a
social club with an emphasis on social activities for gay men, but we
are open to all people.
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/1498/
mailto:[email-masked]

---> HIV/AIDS CareGivers Bulletin Board

During the past year I have received something close to 1,000 e-mail
requests to do some sort of CareGivers Support Group and another for
Family/Friends of those with HIV/AIDS on my HomePage.
I have just finished up the scripts and have the CareGivers Board
online.  The Family/Friends Board will go online just as soon as the
CareGivers Board starts being used.
My URL is: http://www.smartlink.net/~martinjh
Please use and enjoy the CareGivers Board.
Thank you,  Marty
mailto:[email-masked]

---> GAMMA

GAMMA is a self-help group for men who are married or in a long-term
heterosexual relationship and who feel emotionally and/or sexually
attracted to other men. 
GAMMA meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month at the
premises of the Gay and Lesbian Counselling Service (GLCS) at 197 Albion
Street, Surry Hills, Sydney, Australia.
GAMMA is non-denominational and makes no judgments about its members.
GAMMA does not provide a counselling service .. it is simply a group of
men who meet twice a month to discuss the issues they face in attempting
to reconcile two conflicting aspects of their personalities.
http://www.gamma.queer.org.au/

---> geekgirl

Hi Rosie!
'The world's first cyberfeminist zine' supports PRIDE!
http://www.geekgirl.com.au/
http://www.geekgirl.com.au/geekgirl/009dogs/mardi.html
Grrrls need modems - the friendly grrrls guide to the internet.
Hi, I'm geekgirl, your guide to getting on-line. I've been 'on-line'
using BBS (Bulletin Board Services) and the Internet for about six
years; I think it's so kewl - and you will, too, with some practice and
patience. The key to getting on the Internet, enjoying it and making the
most out of it is perseverance. Basically, that's how I managed to
produce and publish my e/zine geekgirl.
http://www.youth.nsw.gov.au/rob.upload/friendly/index.html

---> Brisbane PRIDE festival

We now have our own email address which is
mailto:[email-masked]
More information may be obtained from our web site
http://pride.queer.org.au/brisbane/

---> Judy Small

A contemporary singer-songwriter whose music is performed all around the
world, Judy Small is loved by audiences in Australia, New Zealand,
England, Scotland, Denmark, the USA & Canada. She sings songs of
conscience, fun and love and her performance is spiced with just the
right amount of wit, humour, anger and compassion that make a Judy Small
concert a moving and memorable event. 
http://netspace.net.au/~sdyson/

---> How To Lobby Politicians

By Aldis Ozols.
This is a brief and basic guide for people who want politicians to take
account of their views and needs. While it incorporates some information
specific to Australia, I hope it will also be of use in other democratic
systems.
Contents: Why to Lobby; Who to Lobby; Direct Lobbying; Indirect
Lobbying; When to Lobby; Some Lobbying Tactics; Members of the New South
Wales Parliament.
http://www.zeta.org.au/~aldis/lobby.html

---> Sydney Gay History Walks

For many years now, the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence have sponsored a
Gay History Walk around the streets of Sydney during the annual Gay &
Lesbian Mardi Gras Festival. More recently, the Sydney gay bush walking
club, Southern Cross Outdoors Group or SCOG as it is better known, has
organised similar (if less flambuoyant) excursions. The first two Walks
- the "Sodomite" and "Homosexual" Walks - grew out of those events. The
third, the "Gay" walk is, of course, a 'virtual' walk because many of
the events of that later period took place outside the City of Sydney
limits.
http://lemon.rainbow.net.au/fabfanny/bhay/bobhay1.html

---> New ScFi List
GeeQ is an e-mail list for discussion of Science Fiction and Fantasy
from queer perspectives.  Anyone interested in the subject matter is
welcome to join, regardless of sexual orientation.
More information can be found by sending the command INFO GEEQ to
[email-masked]
To subscribe to GeeQ, send the command SUBSCRIBE GeeQ Your Name to
[email-masked]

---> Reconciliation mailing list

The purpose of this list is to provide a self-funding, independent and
action oriented forum which combines the need for recognition with the
desire for reconciliation with Australia's First Peoples.
To subscribe send mail to "[email-masked]" with the following
command in the body of your email message: subscribe recoznet-l
This list is co-ordinated on a part-time basis by Bruce Reyburn
([email-masked]).
If you are making use of the one month free trial, we hope you find the
experience stimulating. Subscription is A$20 per year. Please contact
[email-masked] for a subscription form if you decide to stay with
us.
To send messages to the forum, address them to:
[email-masked]

---> Action for gay marriage

NZ marriage laws do not stipulate that marriage must be between two
people of the opposite sex and the Bill of Rights outlaws discrimination
on the grounds of sexuality. In view of these facts, it would seem that
there should be no legal impediment to homosexual people getting
married.
At present gay/lesbian couples are being denied the right to legally
marry, however a case is
being taken to the High Court in an attempt to have same-sex (i.e.
gay/lesbian) marriages legally recognised. This will be an important
test case to determine the strength on the grounds of sexuality of the
Bill of Rights.
If this case is not successful it will raise serious questions about the
legal force of that clause.
http://www.mediabass.co.nz/agm/agm.html
 
---> The Grapevine Tribune <GLBT News and Action Site>

From the creator of last years Pride & Prejudice Website - listed in the
Nov. '96 issue of OUT Magazine - comes  The Grapevine Tribune, a new,
Online Daily News & Activism Website functioning as ONE site with ALL
the GLBT news you need.  Our site is updated as the news comes in and we
made it the old fashioned way with ONLY 1 graphic on the entire site-for
speedy reading.
http://www.drizzle.com/~ginn

---> OZ Women Studies/Gender Studies list
The discussion group of the Research Centre for Gender Studies,
University of South Australia. To subscribe send a message to:
[email-masked]
Your subject line should be blank and your message should read:
subscribe OWS-L your full name

---> Gay/Lesbian Hong Kong

Hong Kong Ten Percent Club was established in 1986.
The Club aims at: Fighting for equality in legal protection and
recognition against social discrimination on lesbian, bisexual and gay;
Assuring the social status and esteem of lesbian, bisexual and gay;
Facilitating public understanding, respect and acceptance of lesbian,
bisexual and gay; Creating a lesbian, bisexual and gay community to
enhance mutual help and support.
To achieve these goals, we have established a number of groups ranging
from recreation to public policy to cater for diversified interest.
http://home.hkstar.com/~hkten/
mailto:mailto:[email-masked]
Gay Hong Kong! homepage. Includes upcoming events, counseling and
helplines, clubs and bars, saunas, organizations, guest houses,
publications and more.
http://sqzm14.ust.hk/hkgay/
HKQUEER is a closed (for subscribers only), unmoderated (all messages
are posted) list that is for discussion of issues of concern to Gay,
Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered, Queer, or any similarly self-labeled
individuals in or interested in Hong Kong. 
Emphasis should be placed on issues directly related to Hong Kong and
Asia, in an effort to avoid having this list merely duplicate the
information found elsewhere. 
To subscribe, send a message to [email-masked] In the body of
the message, just have one line reading: subscribe hkqueer <your name>
Homepage of a gay Aussie living in Honkers. Welcome to my virtual sofa
from Hong Kong.
http://www.hk.super.net/~ozboy/me.htm

                         	       ----0----

You have received this mail as you are on the mailing list located @
PRIDE Sydney Gay & Lesbian Community Centre which is currently used by
PRIDE and PRIDE Centre user groups. This list is now over 400 strong.
Please draw the attention of the members of your group and/or network
and any others you may be involved with to the above information. Thank
you.
Non-PRIDE items received by us may be passed on to the mailing list via
this mail out. You are welcome to send items of interest to others on
the mailing list to be distributed in our mailout. The shorter the
better. Please send it to:
mailto:[email-masked] 
The final decision on whether to include something rests with us,
however! No correspondence will be entered into!
If you would like to add someone to our ever expanding mailing list
please ask them to forward their address to:
mailto:[email-masked]
If you do not wish to receive further mail related to PRIDE's mailing
list contact us at:
mailto:[email-masked]
Feedback received that 15k is plenty big enough!

					----0----

THE PRIDE CHARTER 

|AIMS|
To provide a framework and infrastructure for the social, economic and
political development of the Lesbian and Gay communities

|OBJECTIVES|
To manage and develop a dynamic, ongoing and viable Gay and Lesbian
Community Centre
To promote and encourage the cultural development and documentation of
our diverse communities
To ensure the financial viability and accountability of PRIDE
To facilitate access to and provide resources for educational and
training opportunities
To encourage the broadest possible community participation in PRIDE
To promote, encourage and support, health and well being across our
diverse communities

		  PRIDE         Sydney Gay & Lesbian Community Centre Limited
		 -------        e-mail: [email-masked]
		  -   -         fax:    (+61 2) 9331 1199
		   - -          ph:     (+61 2) 9331 1333
		    -           post:   PO Box 7, Darlinghurst NSW 2010