Subject: Minister Dyers silence to AIDS groups
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:28:26 +1100

MEDIA RELEASE
July 24, 1997

Minister Dyer's silence to AIDS groups 

The NSW Community Services Minister Mr. Ron Dyer came under fire from
HIV/AIDS groups today. The groups say that he has failed to clarify
whether people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) are entitled to services
from the Home and Community Care (HACC) program.
A report titled "Us and Them", funded by the Department, which looked
into access and equity issues in Eastern Sydney HACC services shows that
many service providers are completely unaware of this entitlement. 
In an area where 56% of the State's PLWHA live, front-line HACC services
such as Meals On Wheels, shopping and food services and personal care
and cleaning services would assist to maintain basic needs and therefore
keep many PLWHA out of the hospital system.
PLWH/A (NSW) Inc. Convenor, Phillip Metcalf, said, "in July 1994 a
clarifying statement on eligibility for people with episodic conditions
was issued by the Department. This said that `episodic conditions are
those which from time to time may cause some degree of functional
disability. Such conditions may include multiple sclerosis and in some
cases HIV/AIDS ... these people are also eligible to receive community
support services provided by the HACC program'."
"This is why the report's first recommendation is that the Minister
clarify entitlement. Most PLWHA and service providers clearly are not
aware."
Project auspice spokesperson, Botany Neighborhood Centre Coordinator,
Barbara Delcasse, noted that the Minister had been asked twice since
April for the statement. "Each time he's simply referred it back to his
Department," she said "They have failed to answer".
Metcalf added that, "PLWH/A (NSW) Inc. is concerned that this excellent
report is stalling at the first recommendation. The report provides
practical ideas which would help many PLWHA but it clearly needs
leadership and support from the top - which the Minister is not
providing at present."
The report, entitled, `Us & Them', was undertaken last year following
community concern about poverty amongst PLWHA. Its 55 pages contains
twenty recommendations covering changes to policy, information
provision, training, funding, service delivery and follow up issues.

Contact Minister Dyer at mailto:[email-masked]

For further information mailto:[email-masked] or
mailto:[email-masked]
PLWH/A (NSW) Inc. can be contacted at 9361 6011 or
mailto:[email-masked],

Copies of the report are available from Botany Neighborhood Centre.
Phone 9316 4999. 
The report can also be viewed on the Internet at the following address
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/5227/access-equity-report.htm