Subject: Nightlife in Israel
From: [email-masked] (Rex Wockner)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 16:13:06 -0700 (PDT)

Forwarded message:
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 12:24:52 EDT
From: [email-masked] (MR DOUGLAS E DUCKETT)

-- [ From: Douglas E. Duckett * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

As you requested in response to my Internet posting, I wanted to pass
on what info we had, mainly from the Society for Protection of Personal
Rights (SPPR), the main gay/lesbian group, and some from personal
observation.  The information changes frequently, and you should
contact the SPPR for updates as needed.  The address and phone are:

28 Nahmani Street
P.O. Box 37604
Tel Aviv  61375
Israel
Phone: 972-3-3-4327 or 293681
FAX 972-3-5252341

The main gay scene, such as it is, is in Tel Aviv.  My lover and I were
just there for the first two nights of the trip, when we were still jet
lagged, so we did not check out the clubs there, but according to the
SPPR, the following places are of gay interest:

In Tel Aviv:

Joker (nightclub), Kikar Atarim, daily except Sunday, 5240931, 5240374.

Midnight Circle (pub), 23 Pigoto Street and 43 Yehuda Ha-Levi, daily
except Sundays from 9:30, 5603604.

Nordau Café (café-restaurant), 145 Ben Yehuda Street, 5240134.  We did
go here, mixed but lots of gay folk.

Playroom (disco), 58 Allenby Street (Fridays only).

Sh'khitut (disco) 146 Herzl Street (Saturday nights), 6833702.

Zman Amiti (disco) 22 Eilat Road, Jaffa, 6812657.

Thermos (bathhouse), 79 Shlomo Hamelekh, 5224202.

Major cruising site, especially at night:  Gan Ha-atzma'ut 
(Independence Park) just north of the Hilton Hotel on Ha-Yarkon Street.
During the day, the beach near here is the main gay site, though mixed.
Park sees a LOT of action at night, from what we could see.

Near Tel Aviv:

Gay, nude beach just north of Kibbutz Ga'ash north of the city. 
Busiest on Saturday.  If you need more info or directions, let me know.

In Jerusalem:

Q (club), 3 Yoel Salomon Street near Ben Yehuda Street Mall.  We went
there, it's small but fun.  VERY tricky to find, shares stairwell on
second floor with a youth hostel.

Tmol Shilshom - gay friendly bookstore and coffeeshop, especially on
Wednesdays.

Hope this is of help; let me know if you need more information.

Douglas Duckett