Subject: Israel
From: "robert j hinde" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 12:55:05 CST

=============================================================
>From the Action Alerts column in the December 1992 issue of
Socialism and Sexuality, the quarterly newsletter of the
Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual Commission of the Democratic Socialists
of America.  You may reproduce this information freely pro-
vided you credit the source.

For information on the Commission's electronic mailing list
contact [email-masked]

Subscriptions to S+S are $8 per year payable to Chicago DSA,
1608 N. Milwaukee #403, Chicago, IL 60647.
============================================================

November 24, 1992

ISRAEL MOVES TO RESTRICT ENTRY OF HIV+ PEOPLE

Israel's Health, Immigrant Absorption, and Interior Ministries
have announced a joint plan to test immigrants and long-term
visitors to Israel for the HIV virus beginning in January.  Those
who test positive for HIV antibodies will be denied extended
visas necessary for immigration or for visits to Israel longer than
3 months in duration.  Israel will join only a handful of countries
around the world which restrict the entry of HIV+ persons.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Write to the following officials of the Israeli government and point
out that restrictions on the entry of HIV+ people violate the
fundamental human right of freedom of movement.  Also mention that
because several months usually elapse between infection with HIV and
the development of antibodies to the virus, testing of visitors and
immigrants is no guarantee that those persons admitted to Israel will
be HIV-free.  Suggest to the officials that the money spent on the
testing plan could be better used to educate Israeli citizens and
residents about ways they can protect themselves from HIV infection,
such as safer sex practices.

Yitzhak Rabin
Prime Minister
3 Kaplan
Kiryat Ben-Gurion
Jerusalem 91919
ISRAEL

Chaim Ramon
Minister of Health
2 Ben-Tabai
Jerusalem 91010
ISRAEL

Yair Tzaban
Minister of Immigrant Absorption
1 Kaplan
Kiryat Ben-Gurion
Jerusalem 91006
ISRAEL

David Efrati
Deputy Director General
Minstry of the Interior
2 Kaplan
Kiryat Ben-Gurion
Jerusalem 91061
ISRAEL

Ambassador of Israel
Embassy of Israel
3514 International Drive NW
Washington, DC  20008

202-364-5500 voice
202-364-5610 fax

Air-mail letters from the U.S. to Israel require a 50-cent stamp.
Note that Israel's ruling Labor Party is a sister party of DSA in
the Socialist International.