Subject: ScotsGay Magazine - Issue 3 (fwd)

From: "Thomas W. Holt Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 13:57:57 -0500 (GMT-0500)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 12:19:14 GMT
From: postmaster <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ScotsGay Magazine - Issue 3

END

SCOTSGAY MAGAZINE
=================

ScotsGay is a magazine for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.
Edited, printed and published in Scotland
Issue 3 - April 1995

ELECTRONIC EDITION

To subscribe: Send a mail message to

	[email-masked]

The first (not subject) line of the message should be

	subscribe scotsgay-list

(If you are subscribing for a different address from the one you are
using to send the request, you should preface your request with a line
of the form

	set address [email-masked]

instead)

To unsubscribe: Send a mail message to

	[email-masked]

The first (not subject) line of the message should be

	unsubscribe scotsgay-list

(If you are unsubscribing for a different address from the one you are
using to send the request, you should preface your request with a line
of the form

	set address [email-masked]

instead)

All Material Copyright (c) Pageprint Limited 1995. Permission is hereby
given to distribute this material provided that this copyright notice is
included and that distribution is specifically for non-profitmaking
reasons. Distribution for profit must be done only with prior written
consent of the magazine any deviation from this will be seen as an
infringement of copyright. Hardcopies are limited to one per person for
personal use only and such hard copies are subject to the same copyright
restrictions as laid out above.

The printed edition of ScotsGay is available by post at the following
rates:

	 6 issue sub (UK & EC)	 6ukp
	 6 issue sub (Overseas)	12ukp
	12 issue sub (UK & EC)	10ukp
	12 issue sub (Overseas)	22ukp

Make Cheques and POs payable to 'Pageprint Limited' or 'ScotsGay' and
send them to:
	
	Subscriptions
	ScotsGay
	Pageprint Limited
	PO Box 666
	Edinburgh
	Scotland
	EH7 5YW 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this edition:

Editorial: Poor old Peter Tatchell
News: Reports and investigations
Serial: Grandma, We Love You
Campaigning: 'Til The Law Do Us Part
Interview: She Came To Edinburgh - Mary Wings
Joan Burnie - the controversial columnist reveals all to Scotsgay
Inside Out: The essential scene guide
Venues: What and where...
Scene: All the latest tittle tattle
Boxes: The ScotsGay Meet Market
International: The worldly round-up
Music: Queercore
Film: The 9th London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival
ScotsDyke: The Evil Weed
Credits: Who we are and all that stuff

-------------------------------------------------------------

EDITORIAL
=========

Poor old Peter Tatchell.  Not a day has gone by recently that he hasn't
been plastered all over the telly or the front page of the papers.

Hes the Devil Incarnate as far as many people are concerned.  He and
Outrage have revealed that some of the famous and powerful are closet
homos - that's something which should be left to the press to do - isn't
it?

And, how come he tried to go back into the closet when he was losing
Bermondsey for the Labour Party? A touch hypocritical - eh? 

Well, he's long since apologised for that last piece of nonsense (and
Id like to take the opportunity to apologise publicly to him for
coining the 'Peter Tatchell Eats Babies' slogan which went up on a
number of pieces of street furniture in Surrey Docks as I rolled back
from the pub one evening).

Actually, what he and Outrage have really been doing recently is writing
measured personal letters to various MPs and clerics pointing out that
Coming Out is a Good Thing which cleanses the soul, etc. There's been no
threat to reveal all - although some of those who have been written to
have obviously got that impression and are running scared.

Two Scots are believed to be amongst the 20 gay MPs (now reduced to 19
since the death of  North Down MP Sir James Kilfedder) who have received
letters from Outrage. Both have large majorities. Both could come out
tomorrow and theyd still be re-elected. Both voted for an age of
consent of 16 - unlike Kilfedder who voted to keep the age at 21.

It would be unkind of anybody to out these MPs - they have a right to a
private life and their votes have always been cast in favour of lesbigay
issues. However, it would be nice if they'd come out of their own accord
and in their own time like Chris Smith. The sooner the better.
Nevertheless, Outrage has been far too kind to those gay clerics and MPs
like Kilfedder who have used their power to oppress us. They should be
outed forthwith - we owe these people nothing.

And, next time I encounter Peter Tatchell in some outdoor spot like
Hampstead Heath, I'll no doubt ruin his evening and tell him just that! 

John Hein

---------------------------------------------------------------

NEWS
====

COMMONS OFFICIALS SAY NO TO 16

A move to reduce the male gay age of consent to 16 in Scotland has been
scuppered by parliamentary officials.

An SCCL/OUTRIGHT Scotland promoted amendment to the Criminal Justice
(Scotland) Bill, which would have corrected the continuing inequality in
the age of consent for gay men, introducing an equal age of consent in
Scotland of 16 for all, has been ruled outwith the scope of the Bill by
the Clerk to the Commons Standing Committee considering it. As is usual,
the ruling has been accepted by the Standing Committee chairs, MPs Iain
Mills and Norman Hogg.

The amendment, drafted by OUTRIGHT Scotland, sought simply to alter the
age of consent for gay sex from 18 to 16, bringing it into line with
that for heterosexual and lesbian sex. Scotlands MPs voted by a margin
of 53 votes to 17 in favour of a similar amendment to equalise the age
of consent at 16 throughout Britain, the last time the issue was debated
in February 1994, but their vote was outweighed by the votes of MPs from
other parts of Britain and Northern Ireland, and the amendment was
narrowly defeated. Since then, a number of MPs who opposed equality have
indicated that they have changed their minds, whilst others have been
replaced at by-elections by MPs who support equality. Two seats formerly
occupied by recently deceased closet gay homophobes are currently
empty.

The issue was raised again this year at the second reading debate of the
Criminal Justice (Scotland) Bill, on February 27th, by Mike Watson, MP
for Glasgow Central, who said, 'I believe it is totally illogical to
have an age of consent of 16 for heterosexuals and 18 for male
homosexuals. Scots law has often been ahead of its English and Welsh
counterparts. I suggest it should take the lead again.'

Standing Committee Member Ian Davidson, MP for Glasgow Govan, was told
by the Clerks' Office that the amendment falls outwith the 'long title'
of the Bill, which defines the Bill's purposes, on the grounds that
those purposes are all associated with the investigation, prosecution
and sentencing of crimes, rather than what is or is not a crime.

Tim Hopkins, of OUTRIGHT Scotland's Law Reform Group, expressed
disappointment. 'How are Scotland's MPs supposed to propose amendments
to the criminal law in Scotland if they cannot do so in a Criminal
Justice (Scotland) Bill?'

He indicated that OUTRIGHT Scotland's campaign for an equal age of
consent would continue, 'The Government may have hoped that by reducing
the age of consent from 21 to 18 last year, they could bury the issue.
But the principle is equality, and Scotland's MPs have already voted
overwhelmingly for it. We will take every possible opportunity to get
the issue raised in Parliament again and again until we get that
equality.'

AULD NICK

Sir Nicholas Fairbairn, MP for Perth and Kinross, died earlier this year
still firmly in the closet. Although once an Honorary Vice-President of
the Scottish Minorities Group (now OUTRIGHT Scotland), he resigned when
the press found out and claimed that he hadn't realised what sort of
perverted minority was involved.

During the Age of Consent debate in the House of Commons last year, he
had to be called to order by the Speaker after starting a drunken
diatribe against homosexuals and the evils of buggery. Nevertheless, he
was and he did - one straight man who remembers being propositioned by
Fairbairn in the '60s told ScotsGay, 'It was really a shame - if hed
just accepted and been open about his bisexuality it would have taken a
lot of pressure off him and he might not have taken to the drink'.

CAMPAIGN'S ANNUAL GET-TOGETHER

The Annual General Meeting of OUTRIGHT Scotland, held in Edinburgh on
March 25th was a varied affair.

It was kicked off with a talk by Saint Kate Fearnley of the Edinburgh
Bisexual Group who spoke thought provokingly on 'Sleeping with the
enemy?'  

The new Convenor of OUTRIGHT, Martin Walker, took the opportunity to
come out as bisexual. He very nearly wasn't elected to the post as the
Returning Officer had turned up at an earlier meeting pissed and had
lost his nomination!

Several Constitutional Amendments were passed - mainly to make the
organisation more attractive to women members - and the size of the
Executive Committee (now to be called the Co-ordinating Committee to
reflect its changed role) was reduced. A comprehensive Equal
Opportunities Policy was also passed.

More controversial was the decision to sell the publishing company which
produces Gay Scotland. Current Editor Dominic D'Angelo is to buy the
company and the right to publish the magazine for five years in exchange
for clearing off debts (many of which are owed to him) of ukp16,000.
Amendments from James Halcrow sought to either delay for further
reflection with a view to seeking open tenders for the magazine, or to
prevent D'Angelo from selling on the right to publish to other people. A
further amendment would have given OUTRIGHT, in the unlikely event that
Gay Scotland circulation went over 2,000, a 12.5% royalty on each copy
over that number.

These amendments were soundly defeated (17-5) and D'Angelo walked off
with a business which is worth at least ukp10,000 a year in profit. Nice
work if you can get it!

Finally, the group considered the position of its property in Broughton
Street. It was decided that it should be retained and  made fully
accessible to people with disabilities. 

Dick Wilson

CONDOMS GALORE

Scottish AIDS Monitor have had a great response to their recently
launched Bondage Condom Pack. The pack was produced by volunteers and
features a much fancied local shy boy. The Gay Men's Project are not
giving in to demands to release the name of the model, but those close
to him might get a clue if we reveal that SAM volunteers had to shave
his broad brown back before the shoot. Those of you who haven't got your
hands on this smooth matt black pack should notice that it will be
distributed by Gay Men's Project Volunteers at their SM Fetish Night II,
at Club X, on Tuesday 18th April. A night not to be missed if you like
men in uniforms, rubber, leather, hard hats or not very much at all. If
you would like to receive the new condom pack by post, call Bruce, Colin
or Peter at SAM on 0141-353 3133.

SAM PUSHES ON

The staff at SAM's Gay Mens Project are currently trying to set up an
HIV+ Gay Men' s Action Group in Strathclyde. This move comes after a year
in which workers have noted a dearth of HIV+ gay men on decision making
committees.

'There is a failure to prioritise appropriate education and care
services for gay men, said Peter McGrath, Team Leader, and a lot of
the people who have the power to make things happen are very out of
touch with the opinions of HIV+ gay men.'

Although the HIV epidemic is still quite 'invisible' on the gay scene in
Scotland, official statistics reveal 1 in 20 gay men in Glasgow and
Edinburgh to be HIV+. The Gay Men's Project believe that since gay men
still make up the biggest group of new infections, and, since it is
apparent that gay mens needs are being ignored or at best
de-emphasised, it is necessary for them to move their campaigning up a
gear while continuing with all of their ongoing work.

SAM have stated that their plans for work on the gay scene will be
unaffected by the recent loss of funding. Fundraisers will be stepped up
and contingency funds will be utilised to ensure that services continue.

WORD POWER

The new independent bookshop Word Power in West Nicolson Street,
Edinburgh specialises in books on race and culture, feminism, green
issues and politics, and is celebrating its launch with an evening of
culture, music and fun on Saturday 22nd of April. 

Among the writers who will be reading from their work is Janice
Galloway, winner of the McVitie's prize for Scottish writer of the year.

One of the highlights of the evening will be the hilariously funny
cabaret band Vive l'hysteric from Dundee. The event takes place in the
Southside Community Centre in Nicolson Street and starts at 8pm. Tickets
are available in advance from the bookshop (ukp3.50/ukp2) or at the door
(ukp4/ukp2.50).

GOC's BIGGER SPLASH

The Gay Outdoor Club's Strathclyde Group are embarking on a new venture
by hiring a pool for their weekly swim.  The education department have
agreed to let the pool at Woodside Secondary School, Berkeley Street,
Glasgow between 8 and 9pm on Thursday nights during term time. A charge
of ukp1.50 per head will be made which is expected to be sufficient to
cover the cost of hiring the pool as well as the services of qualified
lesbian and gay lifeguards.

The pool is conveniently located close to the city centre and has a 16
foot deep end. Numbers of up to 30 are permitted for private group
hires. Swimmers of all standards are welcome - the Group aims to have
tuition for learners or those wishing to improve on their style. During
school holidays (when the pool is unavailable) the group will meet
informally in North Woodside Pool, about half a mile away near St
Georges Cross. Initial enquiries from those interested in the group to
Douglas on 0141-848 6643.

The Gay Outdoor Club is celebrating its 21st birthday this year. In
Scotland, a programme of nearly 40 events has been drawn up for 1995 -
and that doesn't include the regular Glasgow and Edinburgh swimming
nights. Amongst the highlights of the programme are Munro bashing and a
long weekend on the bleak and inaccessible island of Jura.

HIGHLANDS

Scottish AIDS Monitor in Inverness formally handed over on 1st of April
to Reach Out Highland, the first Sexual Health Charity for the Highlands
of Scotland. Funded by Highland Health Board, the new charity is based
in Inverness, and run by people living in the community. Its main aim is
to encourage and support people throughout the Highlands - whether
living there or visiting - to take responsibility for, manage, and make
informed decisions about their sexual health and well-being.

SCOTTISH PRIDE

Pride Scotland continue with preparations for their Summer weekend in
June. The march will  start from Broughton Street with the consent of
the Regional Council and Police.

FALSE ATTACK

An Edinburgh gay man who told police that his flat had been the subject
of an attack by the fascist British National Party has admitted that he
caused the damage himself to back up a fraudulent insurance claim he
intended to make.

OUTRIGHT

OUTRIGHT Scotland's new Co-ordinating Committee is: Sean Cross, Michael
Gracy, Hugo Greenhalgh, James Halcrow, John Hein, Tim Hopkins and Martin
Walker (Convenor). Tim Hopkins was co-opted at the committee's first
meeting.

LOCKED UP

Two men have been arrested following a TV appearance by OUTRIGHT
Scotland's Police Liaison Group Spokesperson Ian Dunn. They have been
charged with attacks on gay men in the Regent Road area of Edinburgh. A
Glasgow police officer apparently recognised the men and tipped off his
Edinburgh colleagues.

BORDERS

Borders Gay Switchboard closed down at 10pm on Wednesday 29th of March.
David Henderson, the Switchboard's Co-ordinator blamed lack of support
for the service and shortage of his time for the closure. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

SERIAL
======

GRANDMA, WE LOVE YOU

In the previous episode of our serial on Dave and Paul's formative years
by Tony Hiscox-Sloane, the two 18 year olds came out to each other. Now,
here's part three, so read on ...

Paul and I had decided that although we were really fond of each other,
it was best not to come out to anyone in our families just yet. Our
little secret, as it were. We would just try to grab the moment as best
we could, after all we were two fit and horny young men in our prime.

Every Easter for the last few years, since my grandfather's death, I
used to go over to Edinburgh to visit my gran and the spare bedroom had
more or less become my very own territory. Whilst I was on the phone to
her making the arrangements, I took the bull by the horns and asked if I
could bring a friend with me this time.

'Of course, Dear', Gran replied, 'but it will be a bit of a squeeze. I
will have to put the Z-bed up in your room, as you know I only have one
spare room.'

'That's OK, Gran', I said loudly, for Gran was a bit on the deaf side.

'I'll see you on the Friday evening, Dear', Gran said, as she rang off.

As I put the phone back in the cradle, the smile on my face told all. I
couldn't wait to tell Paul, I just hoped to God that he had nothing else
arranged for that weekend. Three nights on our own, the very thought of
it was giving me a hard on.

I lay back on the bed, my hard-on busting out of my jeans, and it seemed
a pity to waste it. I rolled my jeans down to my ankles, slipped my
pants down, and my cock slapped against my belly. Shutting my eyes, and
closing my fist round my excitement, I proceeded to wank myself, slowly
at first, picking up the pace as my imagination took over.

The thought of Paul giving me a good shagging really had me sore in the
groin. One minute I was pumping away, the next I was shooting all over
my chest, the tension and the relief were incredible. I had had some
good wanks in my time but that one scored a 9 on the scale of 1-10.

Roll on Easter!

OOO

Paul was delighted with the idea and, like me, he couldn't wait for the
Friday to come round. We got the 19.00hrs train to Edinburgh, arriving
at Waverley on time at 19.50hrs.

When we arrived at Gran's, the clock was just striking 20.30hrs.

'Do you two want a bite of supper?' she asked.

'Yes please', we both blurted out in unison.

'I'll get it ready and you can show Paul where to take his bag, I am
sure you could do with a freshen up, supper will be ready in 20
minutes.'

'How dare she call me a bag', I thought with a smile.

When I opened the bedroom door, the sight that greeted us started us
both off into a fit of the giggles. Gran had already made up the spare
bed and had put it right alongside the other bed, just like a double. I
was always close to Gran, and on reflection, I wonder if she knew more
about me than I realised. She had never let on, mind you, she had never
questioned me about girlfriends either.

'Supper's ready', Gran cried.

'Righty oh'.

'I hope you boys don't mind the bed like that, it's the only way you can
get two beds in that room and still be able to move about', she
apologised.

'No, that's fine Gran, just fine', I reassured her.

I looked at Paul and winked at him. A big gentle smile came across his
face, you know the kind that just melts your very inner reserve. God, I
wanted him right then. However, that would have to wait a bit longer.
Not too long though, I could feel my loins beginning to stir at the very
thought of him. I pulled my shirt outside my trousers to cover my
embarrassment, just in case Gran got sight of it.

I usually went to bed at about 11 o'clock when at Gran's, and although
we were as keen as hell to get there we just managed to hold out.

'See you in the morning, Gran', I said as I kissed her on the cheek.

'Goodnight Dear, Goodnight David', she said.

'Goodnight', David returned.

Closing the bedroom door behind us Paul whispered to me, 'God, I want you'. 

'No need to whisper', I replied. 'Remember, Gran is quite deaf, and her
bedroom has both the kitchen and a cupboard between her and us.'

I held him tightly in my arms and smiled as I felt his cock stiffen
against me.

'You randy sod', I taunted at him.

'You can talk', he replied grabbing hold of my solid dick. 

We cuddled for a while, then Paul pushed me away from him, and in a few
seconds he was stripped down to a pair of the sexiest white pants I had
ever seen, his cock running at 45% up his leg left nothing to the
imagination. I needed no instructions to join him. Once between the
sheets we kissed and caressed as never before.

'David' Paul whispered in my ear. 'I want to fuck you, what do you
think?'

'I thought you would never ask', I replied with a huge smile.

He leaned over to his trousers and pulled out a packet of condoms.

'Come prepared did you, eh'?

Quickly he rolled one down his length and positioned himself astride of
me.

'Be gentle' I pleaded.

I needn't have worried. Once the initial discomfort was over, Paul eased
his full length inside me.

'Are you OK?'

'Oh ... yes please!'

Slowly at first, Paul thrust away at me, getting faster and faster until
he found a rhythm he was happy with. I was in heaven. That was what I
had been waiting for.

His breath was getting quicker and quicker, I could tell he was near to
coming. All of a sudden he pulled out and rubbed his cock against the
cheeks of my arse, gripping me tighter and tighter then his whole body
shook as he came. That was only the start of the most pleasurable night
I had ever experienced in my short life.

Now I knew why condoms come in threes. All this and still two nights
left. We both slept contented ...

To be continued...

-------------------------------------------------------------

CAMPAIGNING
===========

'TIL THE LAW DO US PART

When planning the future with your partner whether it be the choice of
this summer's holiday destination or more permanent long term plans; a
new home or job, consider for a moment how you would feel if you were
unable to make such plans together because your partner has no rights to
stay here. Hundreds of gay and lesbian couples cannot make such plans
because one partner is foreign with no rights to remain in the UK on the
basis of their relationship.

Foreign partners in heterosexual relationships are often allowed to
remain including common - law and unmarried heterosexual couples. No
such provision exists allowing partners of Lesbians and Gay men to
remain, even where they meet the same criteria set out for
heterosexuals.

The Stonewall Immigration Group has grown from less then 10 couples to
250 couples in one year, including couples from Scotland. The aim of the
group is to provide support and advice to couples, to assist in the
submission of applications to the Home Office and to lobby for a change
in the immigration rules. 

In its first year of campaigning the group has had wide spread coverage
in the press, had the issue raised in the House of Commons, met with
senior civil servants and organised a protest outside the Home Office
with the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants includes couples
form Scotland, Wales and the rest of the UK couples affected  by this
policy.

The group exists to lobby for change, whilst offering practical and
emotional support to couples who wish to solve their situation by
challenging the practice of the Home Office. 

Mark Watson of the group commented, 'For years couples facing this
problem have entered into false marriages at substantial cost, living
ongoing lies to resolve their position - what other legislation forces
normally law abiding people to deceive the authorities simply because
they happen to love someone from another country? The group encourages
couples to make honest applications to the Home Office - we are
certainly having an effect, I understand that the Home Office has had to
allocate staff specifically to deal with these applications.'

Mark an ex-Immigration Officer himself made the news 12 months ago when
he was jailed for falsely stamping his Brazilian lover's passport. Since
his release he has been working as a full time volunteer at Stonewall.
Ander (his boyfriend) was forced to leave the UK in January 1994 but
returned to the UK after Mark's release and now awaits the decision of
the Home Office on his application.

As the debate on Gay and Lesbian equality moves on it is likely that the
current discriminatory Immigration policy will come under greater
scrutiny. A change in the law is not required to bring about change, the
regulations that the Immigration service adhere to do not require debate
in Parliament, simply the political will to bring about change.

The Stonewall Immigration Group's commitment to bringing about a change
in attitude is total. The Group will launch their document 'Compelling
Circumstances: Arguments for equality in UK immigration law' at
Westminster on 26 April, being the anniversary of Watson's imprisonment.
We hope to show that the love between couples of the same sex is just as
strong and just as durable as that between heterosexuals.

Inequality is the concern of us, whether gay or straight. Although the
numbers affected by this inequality are small the results are
devastating. During last years Age of Consent debate the Home Secretary
Michael Howard said: 'These (gay) people should be free to pursue their
lives in private without discrimination of any kind.' 

It will be interesting to see whether such sentiments are remembered at
that time.

Philip Gill / Mark Watson

For further information on the Group contact Stonewall on 0171-222 9007.
Stonewall, 2 Greycoat Place, London SW1P 1SB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERVIEWS
==========

SHE CAME TO EDINBURGH

Bestselling author Mary Wings recently visited Edinburgh as part of a UK
tour to promote her latest Emma Victor Mystery 'She Came By The Book'
and shared a few random thoughts with John Hein.

Who are you writing for?

Anybody who likes a good story.

Not particularly lesbians or gay men?

I think I do kind of do it for my friends. I feel very much as if I'm
telling a story and feel like I have somebody under my arm in some way
and sometimes it's an actual person and sometimes it's not. I wrote the
first book for my girlfriend and I was never insulted when she fell
asleep because I like to read and so the rhythm of my voice made her
drift off and I considered it as a compliment. What I'm writing now, She
Came to the Castro, I'm writing for my friend Derek who's just gone
blind. I feel like I'm blind when I write the stories and he's blind, so
we hang out together and I really write a lot for him. So, it all
depends. I certainly don't write for my parents!

Are the characters in She Came By The Book based on real life people?

Obviously Howard Blooming is Harvey Milk and Jeb Flynne is Dan White.
There are still lots of rumours about White, who was a munitions expert
- many people wonder if he really didn't commit suicide and was secreted
off somewhere...

I found many of your characters horribly realistic - not particularly
nice people.

When you're writing a suspense novel, you have to have eight suspicious
people. So they all have to have a secret. For me, I don't find them all
negative characters - one of the most negative appearing... the fashion
photographer who you think is just totally the sort of superficial,
jet-setter, lesbian who just doesn't care, is in the fashion world, is
taking pictures of skinny women and sleeping with them on assignments,
she appear to be, you know, the worst that people can think of but it
turns out that she's basically helping two people who have gone
underground from the '60s. I also like Renquist Falkenberg in a way.
He's based a bit on someone I know who gives me a fabulous hug - he hugs
everyone. I find the characters are very mixed and, for such an action
novel, very complex. But of course, people do mean things - they all
have to act very suspicious.

Would you be upset if someone referred to your book as a potboiler?

You can call it a potboiler, whatever you want to call it. If I was
hugely concerned with labels or not being considered literary enough, I
wouldnt be in this field anyway. I just love to write the stories. Im
a good story teller and if the language is interesting and good if the
writing is good, that's all that matters.

Are you going to continue to write about the USA or is there any chance
of a novel set in Scotland?

It looks like Divine Victim could be an option for a film - it could
conceivably be placed in Northumbria which would be wonderful. It would
be a very very appropriate place to put it especially with all the
collapse of the mining industry and the way the unions were busted. But
Ive no plans to write a specifically Scottish novel. I have a very big
foreign audience in Germany and Holland (and Spanish and Japanese
translations). 

I think that part of the appeal of the books is taking people to San
Francisco. One of the points which I wanted to make in the book and
which I'm sure came across is that once you get that much electoral
power - once you get that much of a kind of good population base and
some really out gay and lesbian businesses and travel bureaus it just
replicates the rest of society. So of course, there are glossy magazines
now for men who want to buy gay Gucci shoes and there's every shade of
activity - capitalist and otherwise - happening there. And one of the
things thats happening is that more of our arts organisations and
social works organisations are being funded privately; so theres much
more emphasis on non-profit boards to locate the rich people. Its not
the direction we should be going in. Arts and social organisations
should be funded by community groups, by government grants, with peer
review panels, and not by rich people who decide suddenly that this
project is worthy but that one isn't.

Your next book?

She Came to the Castro. It's about the Castro Theatre. A continuation of
the last one, definitely. One thing that people ask me a lot is 'Why is
there not a happy ending?'.  I just don't like happy endings - I prefer
very ambivalent endings. I'm also writing for the single gay person or
for the gay person with a broken heart. So much as gays and lesbians
we're defined that way because we're in a couple and the issues are that
you come out to your parents, you come out to your job - but suddenly if
you're unpartnered, if you're single and if you're dealing with dating -
where does that put you in fact?  In some kind of less defined area? I
don't think so - but it's a nice ambivalency to work with in the book.
So Emma has to date - that will be interesting for her.

How do you find that gay men react to the explicit lesbian sex scenes in
your books?

'Her hands inside me like a velvet glove' - that bit seems to get
everybody - gay or straight. For me, sexual excitement and tension is
very similar to suspense and so it's a part of the book. It's
interesting,  lesbians in San Francisco are taking over a lot of  gay
male behaviour and anonymous sex and stuff because gay men aren't doing
that as much for health reasons. There's a funny kind of crossover. I
know women who really like to read or see gay male porn because its
real. I mean, if we get lesbian porn, it's going to be Playboy and
Playmate - it's very unrealistic. The thing about gay male porn is that
it's very realistic - usually two guys who're really into each other. I
think it has more to do with authenticity than the actual genitalia
involved. I mean, how do you do it? There aren't that many huge
differences that people bring to the experience - it's so much about
emotion, sensuality and so much about power. I think people relate to
these things much more than the genital mechanism.

In our next issue, we hope to be publishing an extract from She Came By
The Book.

JOAN BURNIE

Joan Burnie, the agony aunt and columnist from the Daily Record, we've
all heard of her. Those of us who have read her column will know that
she has very strong opinions on most subjects from sex to sexuality, men
to prostitution - even dogs.

Vicky Johnson braved the winds of Anderston Quay and went to see her for
ScotsGay.

Nothing is sacred to the controversial Ms Burnie. But can she justify
herself?  It seemed that everyone wanted to find out but no-one was
brave enough to do it. Well, call me brave, call me stupid, but I had to
do it. I had to separate the woman from the journalist.

What do you think of International Womens Day?

I think it is patronising, appalling and awful. I don't think it will
achieve anything: most women journalists are against it. There are so
many talented female writers out there who give it their best all year
round and nobody bats an eyelid until this one day and women everywhere
are supposed to be grateful. This is a male dominated world - women
should be taking a stand not letting the boys patronise us yet again.

A lot of men read your articles. What do you think they think of you?

Men think I'm insulting. They also see me as threatening probably
because I'm not afraid to speak my mind. Also, because I write from a
woman's point of view, some men may misinterpret it and see it as
slanderous.

Your writing indicates that you are narrow minded. Would you agree?

Certainly not! Life is shades of grey, but in order to be a good
journalist you must only look at one side of the question. Therefore,
you have to write in black and white - you cannot sit on the fence, you
must go one way or the other.

You come across as being homophobic. Are you?

No, I am not homophobic. Again, it comes down to writing in black or
white and because I'm a heterosexual woman, I cannot write from a gay
point of view: so it can look as if I'm homophobic.

Do you think that gay people are promiscuous?

I think some gay people are promiscuous. I also think some heterosexual
people are too. It depends on the person, not the sexuality.

What do you think of gay weddings?

I don't think any different to gay weddings than I do to heterosexual
ones. If two people are so much in love that they want love blessed then
so be it. There are far worse things that two people can do to each
other than make love, but in this day and age I think marriage is
devalued.

Do you agree with Outing?

No, I don't agree with it. If someone wants to come out then good, but
there are so many problems involved in doing so, no-one should be forced
into it.

Do you think that the Press gives gay people a hard time?

There aren't enough gay people working in the media. So again, it comes
down to black and white. The main image heterosexual people get of gays
is either the butch dyke or the very camp gay man. I don't think this
gives off the right impression. I think more openly gay people should be
working in the media, it would balance things out. Saying that, there
are some icons, so to speak, but they won't come out. It would be a huge
step forward if they did.

What do you really think of AIDS Helplines?

I think any helpline is useful if it gives comfort and support to anyone
needing it whatever the cause or reason.

Do you prefer men or dogs?

I have two dogs: one male, one female. There is a degree of selfishness
in having a dog. They don't complain if you arrive home late: they're so
pleased to see you and just want a cuddle. Lovers don't! I'm very
suspicious of people who don't like dogs - they must be afraid of
touching.

So, there you have it: my chat with the infamous Joan Burnie. Did she
justify herself? Did I separate the woman from the journalist? You tell
me ...

Vicky Johnson

Thanks to the Daily Record for our front cover photo of Joan Burnie.

---------------------------------------------------------

INSIDE OUT
==========

The most comprehensive guide to Scotland's scene bringing you all the
news and gossip. You can peruse our Box adverts to see if Mr or Ms Right
has finally appeared, and  a quick glide through our venues list will
ensure that if you find them  you know where to take them or, if you
don't, you know where to go...

VENUES

Aberdeen

CLUB CABERFEIDH

9 Hadden Street. Tel: (01224) 212181. Thu-Sun 10pm-2am. The biggest and
most popular Lesbian and Gay disco in the north!

FLANNIES BAR

20 Stirling Street. Tel: (01224) 583881. Mon-Sat 11am-12pm, Sun
6.30pm-11pm. Run by the owners of Club Caberfeidh and just round the
corner! Down to earth and friendly. Pool table. Deservedly popular with
dykes.

PINK FLAMINGO

47 Upper Kirkgate. Tel: (01224) 624472. Mon-Fri 5pm-2am, Sat-Sun
1pm-2am. Plush cocktail bar frequented by the trendier crowd.

Dundee

CLUB CRUISE

60 Brown Street (part of Oscars). Tel: (01382) 221176. Sat 11pm-3am.
Noisy with soft lighting, but, despite its name, relaxed and not too
cruisy. Possibility of a new monthly Wednesday Romp - watch this space.

GAUGER BAR

75 Seagate. Tel: (01382) 226840. Mon-Sat 11am-midnight, Sun 6pm-11pm.
Warm and friendly bar, seated lounge, pool table. Something for
everyone!

Edinburgh

BLUE MOON

36 Broughton Street. Tel: 0131-557 0911. Mon-Thu 9.30am-midnight. Fri
9.30am-3am. Sat-Sun 5am-3am!!!! (Brasserie Noon-3pm & 6-11pm). Popular
lesbigay cafe.  The 'Other Side of the Moon' Brasserie is entered from
Broughton Street whilst the Barony Street entrance gives access to the
cafe.

BUSTER BROWN'S

25-27 Market Street. Tel: 0131-226 4224. Fri-Sun late-4am. Plush new gay
weekend club. At the rear entrance to Waverley Station and the foot of
the Scotsman Steps.

CAFE LUCIA

13-29 Nicolson Street. Tel: 0131-662 1112. Generally 10am-10pm but hours
vary according to performances. Mixed bar attached to the Edinburgh
Festival Theatre. Full of luvvies and their friends!

C.C. BLOOM'S

23 Greenside Place. Tel: 0131-556 9331. Noon-3am. Bar/diner serving
superb food in the Hole in the Wall restaurant (Noon-10pm). Karaoke on
Thursday and Sunday. Kwizoki Night on Tuesday at 10pm. Male strippers
Sun afternoons. Disco every night.

CITY CAFE

19 Blair Street. Tel: 0131-220 0125. Mon-Sat 11am-1pm, Sun
11am-midnight. Not as outrageously mixed as it used to be, but still
seriously conventional.

DRONDALE LIMITED

60 Broughton Street. Tel: 0131-556 1471. Open Mon-Fri 10am-7pm, Sat
12-8. Situated at the front of the Edinburgh Lesbian Gay and Bisexual
Centre. Undoubtedly the largest gay shop north of Manchester, carrying a
large selection of magazines, cards, toys, underwear, swimwear, leather
and rubberwear. Well worth a visit. Worldwide mail order service.

EDINBURGH LESBIAN GAY AND BISEXUAL CENTRE

58a and 60 Broughton Street. Owned by OUTRIGHT SCOTLAND, it houses the
Bisexual Resources Centre, Calosa Publishing Limited, Drondale Limited,
The Edge Cafe, and Pride Scotland as well as providing meeting and
noticeboard space for many lesbigay organisations.

EDGE CAFE

60 Broughton Street. 9am-1am. Licensed cafe at the rear of the Edinburgh
LG&B Centre. Recently revamped - the new vamp is called Recently.

INSINUENDOS CABARET CLUB

2 Picardy Place. Tel: 0131-556 0499. Basement Cabaret Bar in QT's -
cabaret plus disco. Sat - free cabaret at midnight, Mon - male stripper
at midnight. Karaoke some other nights - but ask.

JOY AT THE CALTON

20 Calton Road. Tel: 0131-558 3758. Sat 11pm-late. Edinburgh's Saturday
One Nighter. Reduced entry before midnight. Free membership. Wheelchair
accessible.

LEITH OYSTER BAR

10 Burgess Street, Leith. Tel: 0131-554 6294. Noon-1am. Mixed but
popular with students and Real Ale queens. Selection of real ales and
good food.

LORD NELSON BAR

Linden Hotel, 9-13 Nelson Street. Tel: 0131-557 4344. Mon-Sat Noon-2pm,
6pm-11pm. Sun 7pm-11pm. A quiet bar attached to Edinburgh's biggest gay
hotel. Superb Thai restaurant.

MAGGIE RAYES

85 Rose Street Lane North. Tel: 0131-225 7651. Noon-1am. Frenetically
friendly impromptu cabaret bar - formerly French Connections. Friday is
karaoke night! New late licence promised until 2am at weekends.
Wheelchair accessible.

NEW TOWN BAR

26B Dublin Street. Tel: 0131-538 7775. Noon-1am. Especially popular with
Bears, but has wide clientele. Real Ale. Intense, the sub-basement men
only cruise bar is open Thu-Sat 9pm-1am - women allowed as guests.

No EIGHTEEN

18 Albert Place. Tel: 0131-553 3222. Mon-Sat Noon-10pm. Scotland's only
sauna club for gay gentlemen - run by a couple of straight Dykes! 

QT'S BAR

2 Picardy Place. Tel: 0131-556 0499. Noon-2am. Bright city centre bar
with a mixed crowd of all ages. At the Centre of Edinburgh's Gay
Triangle.

ROUTE 66

6 Baxter's Place. Tel: 0131-556 5991. Mon-Fri 1.30am. Sat Noon-1.30am.
Sun 4pm-1.30am. Food served all day. Discos Fri, Sat and Sun with DJs
Christine, Claire, Craig and Patsy. Real Ale.

S.L.A.G.S. AT THE CALTON STUDIOS

20 Calton Road. Tel: 0131-558 3758. Fri 11pm-late. Another one nighter
with DJs Ross Keddie and Martin Valentine. Wheelchair accessible.

THEATRE ROYAL BAR

24 Greenside Place. Tel: 0131-557 2142. Mon-Sat 11am-midnight. Sun
6pm-11pm. Basically straight, this Real Ale bar (formerly a Gas Board
Showroom) in the middle of Edinburgh's Gay Triangle attracts an
increasing number of queers having an off-scene pint before heading for
the fleshpots nearby.

VOGUE AT CLUB M8

12 Shandwick Place. Tel: 0131-226 2266. Fri 10.30pm-4am. New and busy
one nighter at the West End of Princes Street. A free bus runs from
other lesbigay venues in the city. DJs Wild Women of Wonga (Michelle and
Gillian formerly of Joy).

WEST & WILDE BOOKSHOP

25a Dundas Street. Tel: 0131-556 0079. Tue-Sat 10am-7pm, Sun Noon-5pm.
Scotland's only lesbian and gay bookshop. Lots of books and quite a few
magazines!

WOMENS NETWORK DISCO

The Calton, 20 Calton Road. Tel: 0131-558 3758. Women-only disco on the
first Friday of the month - 10pm-3am. The venue is wheelchair
accessible.

Falkirk

DROOKIT DUCK

16 Grahams Road. Tel: 01324 613644 Mon 11am-3pm and 5pm-11.30. Tue-Thu
11am-3pm and 5pm-12.30am. Fr-Sat 11am-12.30am. Sun 7pm-midnight.
Straight bar used by a few local gays.

Glasgow

AUSTINS

183a Hope Street. Tel: 0141-332 2707. Mon-Sat Noon-midnight, Sun
12.30am-midnight. Friendly and busy basement pub. Food lunchtimes.
Entertainment every evening.

BENNETS DISCO

80-90, Glassford Street. Tel: 0141-552 5761. Tue-Sun 11pm-3am. Very
popular busy gay disco. Tuesdays straight.

CAFE DELMONICA'S

68 Virginia Street. Tel: 0141-552 4803. Mon-Sun Noon-midnight. Food
Noon-7pm. Busy semi trendy pub with backroom area (but not THAT kind of
backroom!). Cabaret Thurdays. Karaoke Wed and Sun. Happy hours 5-7 and
9-10 every night.

CCA

Centre for Contemporary Arts, 350 Sauchiehall Street. Tel: 0141-332
7521. Centre open Mon- Wed 9am-11pm Thur-Sat 9am-midnight. Bookshop
11am-7pm. Galleries 11am-6pm (admission free).  Two galleries, two
performance spaces, cafe bar and bookshop. Lesbigay friendly place
bustling with life, the universe and everything. Wheelchair accessible
apart from upstairs performance space.

CLUB X-CHANGE

25 Royal Exchange Square. Tel: 0141-204 4599. Tue-Sun 11pm-3am. Large
basement club, popular with young crowd. Wednesday nights are straight
(though still quite mixed).

COURT BAR

69 Hutcheson Street. Tel: 0141-552 2463. Mon-Sat 11am-Midnight, Sun
8.30-11pm. Small bar beside former Sheriff Court. Straight until
mid-evening.

DIVALLY'S

86 Maxwell Street. Tel: 0141-221 4657. 11am-3am. Increasingly popular
members' club containing lounge bar and cinema showing legal erotica
(gay and straight). Gayer on Mon and Tue. Glasgow's only TV staff!
Membership available at the door.

EAT OUT

8-10 West George Street. Tel: 0141-332 7060. 10am-10pm, 7 days.
Glasgow's first lesbigay cafe. Licensed. Interesting selection of
breakfasts and other food from snacks to full meals.

GHQ

8-10 West George Street. Tel: 0141-332 8005. Noon-midnight. Nice and
convenient for Queen Street Station. Large bar featuring Suave Gav -
Glasgow's most popular DJ -  when he's not working at Bennets.

SQUIRES LOUNGE

106 West Campbell Street. Tel: 0141-221 9184. Mon-Fri Noon-Midnight, Sat
12.30pm-Midnight, Sun 8pm-11pm. Long narrow intimate basement bar, DJ
Thu, Fri & Sat. Packed at the weekend. Nightly happy hours.

VICTORIA BAR

157-159 Bridgegait. Tel: 0141-552 6040. Mon-Sat Noon-midnight, Sun
12.30pm-midnight. Basically straight, but popular with real ale queens
and dykes.

THE WATERLOO

306 Argyle Street. Tel: 0141-221 7359. Mon-Sun Noon-midnight. Popular,
crowded, down to earth drinking shop. Cabaret every Thursday, Karaoke on
Sundays. Tuesdays Music and Quiz Night.

Greenock

Although Greenock doesn't have a gay bar as such, some local lesbians
and gays meet and socialise in the Princess Lounge. Some young gays also
use the Jolly Sailor to meet and play pool.

Inverness

NICO'S BAR/BISTRO

Glen Mhor Hotel, Ness Bank. Tel: 01463 234308. Wed and Fri 9-11pm. Smart
relaxed bar popular with local gays especially on Wednesday and Friday
nights (9.15pm onwards). Mixed clientele.

Kilmarnock

KAYPARK TAVERN

27/29 London Road. Tel: 01563 523623. Straight pub - the lounge is said
to be used by some local gays on Mondays.

Stirling

BARNTON BISTRO

3 1/2 Barnton Street. Tel: 01786 461698. Mon-Sat 10.15am -11pm (Meals
Noon-8pm), Sun 6.30pm-11pm. Mixed, busy and friendly - popular with
students. Good food. Real Ale.

ABERDEEN

So you think you've seen it all?  Trust me, you ain't seen nothing yet
because on the 6th of April, Aberdeen cranks the volume aaaaaaalll the
way up to 11. Yep, it's Aberdeen's very own Heat of the one and only Mr
Gay UK competition. If you're not content with all those competing
chickens, sorry, bodies, I hear that the club will be presenting their
very own local stripper (fluffy mohair undies and all) to unsuspecting
random members of the public. All good clean fun (unless you can afford
otherwise, of course!) 

Round at the Pink Flamingo, Grippy Graham (I wonder where that name
comes from) tells us that a permanent womens' disco looks on the cards,
a strange place to put a disco, I first thought, but who am I to
question such a handy man... ahem... more details after the hostage
exchange. 

What do you mean, "Strippers don't ring your bell?" You're obviously not
pushing the right buttons... In Aberdeen? Into Pain? Into freeform
oral-jazz explorations? Then come right along to the Karaoke on a
Wed-Fri-Sat! And if you've got an eye for balls, then with the Pool for
Cash competition on a Saturday - you'd have to work very hard at getting
bored in Aberdeen! Sigh... Tea, coffee, gravity boots and a variety of
snacklets are on the platter most days from 5pm - 2am and all day
Saturday and Sunday (whether you actually eat them from there is another
matter altogether though).

Gossip! Quick, over here! Yes, under the table, did you bring the hose?
Good... What are the girls at Flannies up to? I hear that quite a few
have been swapping girlfriends, stamps and novelty ash trays! All except
for Cath who never seems to get any fun eh? Don't you bother Hon! I've
got an Alabama Treble Choc Death Slab with our name on it! 

DUNDEE

As if the Dundee scene wasn't small enough! (But it's like me -
perfectly formed. Ed) The closure of the Edge has been a bit of a downer
on the  Dundee scene. Hooooowever you can still get a one night stand on
a Saturday with Club Cruise, 10.30pm-2.30am,  and if we all ask nicely,
it might expand to other nights too.

It would appear that Karen is about to dig the paint pot and B&D Sander
out of her makeup bag (Ow! Ow! Sorry don't hit me! The cheque hasn't
cleared!) Looks like the Gauger is going up for a quick nip and tuck and
believe it or not, a new look loo is on the cards as well (there it is
again, what a strange place to put things... You'd think it would leak
or something, wouldn't you? Eeew, what a curious thought... I may be
vanilla flavoured, but I'm certainly not yellow!).  Sweetie luv Karen is
off on a week's holiday to Magaluf, to escape all the upheaval, look out
all you Spanish ladies! Dyke alert!

Hot off the keyboard, we hear that Karen has been busy trying to line up
a weekly cabaret spot for the Gauger. Well, you know I'd do it in an
instant, hon, but Air Traffic Control just won't give me clearance to
put on my wig... Life, huh? Such a quiet little month in Dundee, better
watch out though...  We're out there, and although we don't bite, we're
lethal with pillows! Keep your eyes peeled for the wee fat thing with
the camera. See y'all soon!

GLASGOW

By the time we come out (giggle), Bennets should have had the stage
re-surfaced after their heat of the Mr Gay UK competition. Like everyone
else I am looking forward to the lovely bodies parading about the stage
(** Slap ** - the wife) before the one and only Sassy Stryker and her
boys.

Fancy something different?  Of course it won't hurt and yes, it is meant
to go that colour... No? Oh well, better get your butt down to Bunty's
on Friday the 28th of April for Glasgow Switchboard and Bennets benefit
night. The money from the door is going to Scotland's first Gay Pride.
So get along and support a well worth cause. Also,  Bunty's has some
class PA's this month... Optimystic-Cutback-Free Spirit-Julie Zee plus
an exclusive PA by The Nightcrawlers (and their support act, The
Pub-crawlers (lovely people, with whom I've spent many a midnight hour
explaining just exactly what "drink up and get the F*%@*$ out" means).

On the pub scene, we can exclusively reveal that Tennents have at last
agreed to  do a job on the Waterloo in the autumn. Yep, it's getting
re-furbished some time in the autumn. We're not sure just exactly when
the new loo roll will be arriving, but stay tuned - we'll keep you
posted!

I'm just such a little socialite (S-O-C-I-A-L-I-T-E, duh, *SLAP*) read,
bad cook, so the last two Saturdays, I cheated (death) and decided to
have my lunch out. Dropped in to Squires and Austins and, wayhey,  real
value for money and quality scenery to boot (if you catch my drift). 
Along with Eat Out at GHQ, Glasgow seems to be well hung with eateries
just now.  Go on! Go on! Try it...  Try it... Just a little bit... You
might like it!  (giggle, de-ja vu, huh?) 

All you lunch(box)time girls will be glad to hear that  GHQ is now open
at lunchtimes too! (My God, can't you just, like, file your nails, drink
Pepsi and harass the new office boy like the rest of us?)

Yep, they've caught up with me... I tried my best to stay on the run but
they cornered me on the way to the loo in Bennets, said if I didn't come
across with the goods, they'd post the envelope.... The Glasgow Bars
AIDS Welfare Committee (lovely, lovely people, honest! Honest!) tell me
that they are trying to line up a major Scottish television personality
for next year's Gay Ball. I hear that there's a new venue in the offing
too - Glasgow's Central Hotel none the less! Cheap accomm and dress hire
package for anyone who requires it is on the cards as well (These cards
must be pretty crowded by now, dance floor,  loo and a dress-hire/accom
package...). More details in the post (Nooooooooooooooo!)Up Austins (if
you're into that sort of thing (any pics???)) the Monday Club saw the
return of that Little Miss Dynorod herself, the very popular Oddete
Clarke. Mrs Reynolds and Mrs Morris are working on parole as we speak
and we'll maybe have her back again in the near future! 

Round at Club X, their forth cuming 5th Birthday Bash includes dates
throughout April, with appearances by Sister Bliss (28th), Norma Lewis
(29th), Loleata Holloway (30th), and the one and only super fab Hazel
Dean (16th).  At Cafe Delmonica's, the cabaret menu this month includes
Lota Lasagne (6th), Angie Gold (20th), Access All Areas (27th), and the
ever popular Barbara Bryceland (13th). Still no sign of the new lino
though...

EDINBURGH

Round at Buster Brown's we hear that a name change may be in the
planning,  Frocx a plus at the moment (but if you can think of anything
better let me know, so I can rip it off and be witty and original).
Still to come at Buster's this month are Dizire Dubfire, Legs from
Heaven (hairstyle from hell?), and one not to miss - Smokin Jo. Buster's
is now open till 4am,  but you've got to be across the door by 2am and
wigs don't count.

Over at CC Blooms, they have taken on the mantle of the Edinburgh Mr Gay
UK competition on Saturday the 8th. Other entertainments include
strippers every Sunday at 3.30pm. Karaoke on a Sunday with big K(D)arn
and on a Thursday with Colin and Ali. Now something of a difference is
CCs one and only KWIZOKI. This has to be seen to be believed.

Down on No 18, sorry (Do I come across as frustrated? Goooood), Down at
it is still getting busier. Is the place going to be big enough? That is
the burning question. A young friend of mine from Glasgow was seen
taking his bed in. I know he is fond of the place and I'm sure it was
purely for rest purposes - BUT(T)!

Round at Maggie Rayes, I hear that Raymond is about to have it cut down
to size - The bar! The Bar! What else? (I wonder... bwhuahuahua) When's
the big event?  Supposedly the dirty deed is being done (under general
anaesthetic) whilst the place is closed for refurbishment.

We are still awaiting the result of the Evening News pub of the year
contest, to see how Route 66 got on in the final. We'll keep you posted
(Nervous look).

The Workmen have been in at the old Chapps Bar, but as yet no public
announcement of an opening date and NO ONE HAS SEEN THEM LEAVE!!!! Spook
Huh? I wonder what the darling Ray and Andy could have done (be doing)
with (to) all those feisty men (and will they let me see the video
afterwards!)...

Someone was asking me the other day if I had seen Bill of Drondale fame,
and if he was still alive (or just remarkably well preserved). Bill and
the family are, indeed, alive and well and are busy attending to other
matters outside of the gay scene.

Fancy tossing 'yer caber? Fling yer thing o'er here then... The success
of last year's Gay Highland Fling in Edinburgh has meant it will
definitely go ahead this year. The same venue, with a date of Saturday
the 19th of August. Fingers and various extendable extremities crossed
for a little more summer-like weather. Crank up the volume, missus!
Should be on line for another howling, camp day out. So set the diaries
and the personal organisers and let it rip, sugar honey!

-----------------------------------------------------------

BOXES - THE SCOTSGAY MEET MARKET
================================

To reply to a Contact Ad:

By e-mail:

We can now accept replies by e-mail for Box Numbers. They should be sent
to

	[email-masked]

and will be printed out and posted on by snail mail to the box number
holders. There will be no charge for this service.  As box number
holders are unlikely to have access to e-mail, please include your name
and address so that they can get back to you! And remember to include
the box number that you're replying to clearly on each reply.

By snail mail:

Just pop your reply in an envelope with the box number written in the
TOP RIGHT corner and place the envelope with your reply inside another
envelope with two loose first class stamps.  If you are writing from
outside the UK, an International Reply Coupon (IRC) should be enclosed
for each reply instead of postage stamps. International Reply Coupons
are available from most Post Offices throughout the world. We are unable
to send on replies without postage stamps or IRCs.

Send all replies to:

ScotsGay Magazine, Pageprint Limited, PO Box 666, Edinburgh. EH7 5YW.

To place a Contact Ad:

Write to the above address enclosing your advertisement copy. Ads are
FREE of charge to the advertiser.  Or you can send them by e-mail to
[email-masked]

MEN
---

Hurt too often 20 year old

Hello! Me 20, 5'7" tall, dark hair, med build. You 18-23, VGSOH, looks
not important. Glasgow area. Genuine replies only. No idiots. Photo
please. ALA. Nights in or out.  Box SG0301

Falkirk Area

Mid 20's gay couple seek other gay guys or couples in Falkirk, Stirling
area aged under 30 for friendship, etc. Can travel, accommodate. Photo
helpful. Box SG0302

Dundee - Perth - Anywhere

Young, boyish, good looking gay lad with looks and body to match, seeks
masculine, athletic gay/bisexual guys for fun/friendship/relationship.
Can travel or accommodate. Photo and phone please. Box SG0303

Bit on the side wanted

Guy, 36, in longstanding open relationship, seeks young smooth guy 18-26
for the occasional night in. Might suit bi guy with girlfriend who needs
something different from time to time. Discretion assured if required.
Box SG0304

Glasgow Area - Anywhere

Sexy young gay male nudist seeks special other(s) for good times.
Photo/phone if possible. Detailed letter ensures reply. Box SG0305

Dundee - Tayside - Anywhere

Male 39 years, slim, good looking, seeks friends 18-40. Any race, colour
for good times, possible 1-1. Please send photo, telephone number. ALA.
Box SG0306

Central Scotland

Very straight acting/looking decent guy - quiet sporty type. GSOH. Seeks
similar inexperienced and definitely non-scene guy in 20s or 30s. Box
SG0307

Friendly Bear seeks Smooth Cub

Small friendly and extremely hairy bear, 38, would like to get his paws
on a smooth young cub. Your cave or mine! Box SG0308

Gay Convincing TV - Aberdeen

45 year old seeks TV for caring relationship. Can accommodate. Photo and
phone number please. 21 to 35 years old. Box SG0309

Glasgow VWE

Good looking guy, 6, vwe, looking for TVs who look like the real thing.
I will pamper and spoil you in return for lots of fun and sexy times.
Box SG0310

Glasgow - Scotland

Are you 21-35, lonely, needing a father figure to love, care for you and
understand you? I am desperately looking for a 'son' for a loving
disciplined relationship. Box SG0311

Glasgow

21 year old slim, student, netsurfer geek, blue eyes, 5'11", 9 stone,
seeks platonic friendship with others (pref. non-scene) for general
substance abuse (drink + tabs etc), fun and geeking. e-mail
[email-masked] or write to: Box SG0312

Edinburgh

Tall slim 34 seeks similar or younger guy interested in CP, discipline
and spanking fantasies. Send full frank letter. ALAWP. Phone number
helps. Discretion assured. Box SG0313

Central Scotland

Guy, 30, shy, genuine, non-smoker, would like to hear from sales rep or
similar who is seeking discreet friendship. Correspondence also welcome.
Box SG0314

Railway enthusiast

39 year old, typical balding, bearded, beer-bellied gricer would like to
hear from younger (18+) train spotter who fancies a travelling
companion. Varied interests. Non smoker. Box SG0315

Too old at 40?

If you're 18 and like the company of older guys, why not drop me a line?
I'm kind and understanding and discreet if need be. Box SG0316

Glasgow - Passive nephew seeks uncle

I'm 35, 6'2", hairy, clean shaven, seek older active uncle any age into
massage, panties, spanking. Need horny mature guy. Try anything once.
Box SG0317

Glasgow area

30, student, 5'7", slim, straight acting. Just coming out, looking for
friendship, possible relationship with straight acting, understanding
guy, willing to take time. 25-35 non-drinker preferred. Photo
appreciated. Box SG0318

Edinburgh

Gay guy 25, 5'9" tall, slim, good looking, seeks similar guy in the
Edinburgh area up to 25 years who is bore with the scene and the usual
meet market and wants some friendship and fun! If interested, please
reply with a photo if possible to Box SG0319

Prisoner seeks penpal

Romantic guy, true Scorpio, 6ft tall with mousy hair and green eyes,
slim build with 'tache, currently guest of Her Majesty, seeks penpal. I
have many interests: music, reading, (travel - used to be), design and
art. Box SG0323

Tayside/Dundee

38yo passive guy would like to meet younger active gay/bi guy for
discreet no strings fun. Can travel. ALAWP. Box SG0324

Looking for friendship

I'm Kevin, 23-years-old, 5'10'',good-looking, enjoys swimming, tennis,
water sport, seeks new friendship and more. Box SG0325

Edinburgh

Literate, unstuffy, cat-loving, beer drinking, garlic using queer (40)
would like to hear from student type (non-smoker) with a few to forming
an uncomplicated relationship. Box SG0326.

Edinburgh

25 year old guy, unemployed, would like to meet SMers, shoe enthusiasts,
boot lickers, exhibitionists, from 18-30 years old. Own place in Leith.
Box SG0328

Glasgow: Shy Student

I'm 18 years old, 6ft, 14st, brown hair/eyes, Love art, musicals, jazz,
classical music, computing. I seek anyone who finds me interesting.
Please enclose a photo with reply. Box SG0329

Perth

18 year old, going to University in Edinburgh next year, seeks friends
around the same age. No older guys please. Box SG0330

Relaxed hippy

42 year old guy, would like to mellow out with equally relaxed younger
guy. Your pad or mine, man! Box SG0331

Militant atheist

39 year old guy would be willing to share his prejudices with others.
Students welcome. Christians will be eaten so need not apply. Box SG0332

WOMEN
-----

Cumbernauld - Glasgow

Lesbian mum, early 30s, quiet sensitive veggie non-smoker. Likes music,
films, friendship, seeks new friends, possibly relationship. Box SG0320

BISEXUAL
--------

New experiences

Rather nervous guy (43), previously gay, beginning to explore other
possibilities, seeks understanding woman. Box SG0321

Silver Bear Seeks Cuddles

Bi gay (40s), silvery fur, seeks friendly bi woman (under 30) for bear
hugs. Existing relationships (gay or straight) do not present a problem.
Preferably in Glasgow/Edinburgh areas. Box SG0322

Mature man seeks friends in the West London area.  Either sex. Can't put
it any clearer than that! Box SG0327

COMMERCIAL
----------

Antiquity Showcase

We have the following genuine artifacts for sale: No 1 - Byzantine
Bronze Ring which is decorated with a four leaf flower pattern. Dark
green patination. c 1000AD. ukp24. No 2 - Egyptian Eye Amulet. A blue
glazed Udjat Eye Amulet with clear details. Late period. Large. Slight
chip, hence inexpensive. ukp27. No 3 - Roman British Bronze Belt
Decoration found in Yorkshire. Bargain at ukp15. For information, please
phone Andy on 01282 862351.

New Zealand Accommodation

SIGMA - South Island Gay Managed Accommodation, a network of
accommodation for gays and lesbians visiting the South Island of New
Zealand. For a free list, write to: Ron Harris, Shag Point, RD2
Palmerston, Otago, NZ or phone 00 64 3-465-1742.

Worldwide Penfriends

Regular lists. Make friends, exchange holidays, improve your languages.
For general and music lovers' lists send ukp3 to 'The Penpal List', c/o
221B Merton Road, Southfields, London. SW18 5EE.

Contacts in USA and France

Voluntary Group for holiday exchange, penpals, etc. Covering USA and
French-speaking countries. For sample bulletin send 3 International
Reply Coupons to: Recontre France/Amerique, 350 Nature Trail Lane,
Murrysville, PA 15668, USA.

Pen Friends

Lesbian, gay, bi pen pals. Members all ages all over UK. Non profit
service. Membership ukp5 per year includes updates, listing, box. SAE for
details to LGB National Pen Pals, PO Box 2000, Horwich, Lancs, England.
BL6 7PG.

Situation Vacant

Self motivated person (male or female) required by go-ahead publishing
company to sell display advertising space for Scotland's brightest and
best lesbian gay and bisexual magazine. You must have access to a
telephone. If you've got what it takes, phone 01505 335021 or write to:
ScotsGay, PO Box 666, Edinburgh. EH7 5YW

Get onto the Internet

For only a tenner a month (plus VAT), Demon Internet Services provides
full access to the Internet. Want to learn more? Phone 0131-552 0344.

Accountancy Services

Tax problems, accounting, auditing, business plans, call Marios on
0131-555 0600 (Fax: 0131-555 6652). We are members of the Chartered
Association of Certified Accountants and Registered Auditors. Personal
and confidential service.

International Gay Entrepreneurs Network

Lambda Net: the largest global network of Gay Men &  Womyn worldwide.
Seeking serious folks in EU to extend  business.  Unlimited financial
opportunity. No investments required.  e-mail: [email-masked] or
write: Dr. Gianmichael Salvato, DMSc, PhD, Cellular Dynamics Worldwide,
6131 N Sixteenth Street  Suite B-206, Phoenix, AZ 85016-1720, USA.

FRIENDS ABROAD
--------------

21 y.o. Portuguese boy, studying sciences, looks for friendship with
other boys all over the world. I like Nature, Classic Music, History and
Travelling, and, of course, Internetting. e-mail: [email-masked] or
write to: Paulo Emanuel, P.O.Box 4327, 1500 LISBON, Portugal.

Macho guys!

Easy-going, tall, Dutch leatherguy is looking for international contact
with gays to exchange experiences and entertain each other with stories
and pics. Email me on [email-masked]  or write to Jan van Kempen,
Koningsweg 86, Netherlands. 5211 BN

GWM professional, 55, 5'10, salt and pepper, stocky, good-looking:  I
would love to correspond via e-mail.  I travel a great deal, love
cooking, opera, romance, computers. Bob Rivkin, 1934 Mount Royal
Terrace, Baltimore, MD  21217-4805, USA

Cute Texas-Boy wants penpals

Eclectic Bohemian student 22 into coffee houses, brew pubs, thrift
stores, travel (if I had money), sailing, museums, jazz, grunge..
whatever. Seeks friends from around the world. Write me! Rick M. 11705
Chapel Lane  Austin, Texas, USA  78748 or e-mail
[email-masked]

Coming to Dallas?

Friendly, intelligent, hairy Texas bear enjoys meeting Europeans
visiting here. 44, 170cm, 90kg, 17cm cut, long wavy brown hair
(stretches past nips), bushy beard (stretches past hips).  e-mail:
[email-masked] or write to Gordon Peterson, 14500 Dallas Parkway,
Apt. 160, Dallas, Texas 75240. USA.

Gay penpal from Rio, Brazil

Brazilian gay from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1.78 m, 80 kgs, GWM
suntanned, active, would like to make contact with gays from all over
the world for fun or friendship. Photos appreciated. Horny letters and
photos to Caixa Postal 16.285, Largo do Machado, Rio de Janeiro, RJ,
Brazil, CEP 22.222-970. E-mail messages to [email-masked]  or
[email-masked] 

Asian wants muscle

GAM Hongkonger, 29yo, 59", 155lbs of lean muscle, 42" chest, 29" waist
seeks masculine man to share workout experience or more. Intimate
marriage life if possible, age not important, photo exchange. e-mail:
[email-masked] or write to Calvin Cheung, 15C Lung Fung Count,
353-367 Des Voeux Rd West, Hong Kong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL
=============

International News from Rex Wockner ...our regular look at what's
happening around the world...

GAY MARRIAGE IN HUNGARY

Hungary's Constitutional Court has legalized common-law gay marriage.
Common-law and formally married couples have all the same rights in
Hungary. Any couple that lives together permanently and has sex is
considered married under common law. The court said a law limiting
common-law marriages to 'those formed between adult men and women' was
unconstitutional. 

'It is arbitrary and contrary to human dignity ... that the law (on
common-law marriages) withholds recognition from couples living in an
economic and emotional union simply because they are same-sex,' the
court wrote. The justices ordered parliament to make the changes
necessary to implement common-law gay marriage by March 1, 1996. 

Paradoxically, the court also ruled that formal, civil marriages are for
heterosexual couples only. 'Despite growing acceptance of homosexuality
(and) changes in the traditional definition of a family, there is no
reason to change the law on (civil) marriages,' the justices wrote. Gay
leaders welcomed the ruling. Lajos Romsauer, president of Homeros
Lambda, said it doesn't matter that only common-law marriage was
legalized for gays because all the same rights are granted. Homeros
initiated the legal action that led to the ruling. Denmark, Norway and
Sweden are the other countries where gay couples have the same rights as
married people, under 'registered partnership' laws that are commonly
called 'gay marriage.'

ZIMBABWE GAYS URGE 'PERSISTENT' PROTESTS

The group Gays and Lesbians of Zimbabwe is requesting 'persistent
letters of protest' to the government to battle legal and social
repression of homosexuals. 'We are hoping letters protesting against our
government's policy towards homosexuals can be sent and that with the
publicity and interest being shown, they might reconsider their
position,' a group spokesman said. 

Gay sex is criminal in Zimbabwe and recently President Robert Mugabe
stated: 'Let us have no more talk ... of homosexual rights and recognize
their activities for what they are - a threat to the morality and health
of our growing nation. I believe our young people ... can discern what
these perverted movements, coming from the so-called developed nations,
really desire.' 'The government ... believes homosexuality is alien to
African culture and therefore should not exist,' the GALZ spokesman
wrote. 'Homosexuality is considered a 'western' practice and should not
be imposed upon African people. 

Given the fact that a majority of the active GALZ members are white
Zimbabweans, they consider their opinion to be justified. However, many
gay black Zimbabweans are coming out and eventually it will be realized
that homosexuality does not discriminate on the basis of race or
colour.' 

Protest letters are urged to: (1) Zimbabwe High Commission, Zimbabwe
House, 429 The Strand, London WC2 OSA, (2) Embassy of Zimbabwe, 1608 New
Hampshire Ave., Washington, DC 20009, USA, (3) N.M. Shamuyarira,
Minister of Foreign Affairs, P.O. Box 4240, Harare, Zimbabwe, and (4) D.
Dabengwa, Minister of Home Affairs, Private Bag 505D, Harare, Zimbabwe.
Carbon-copy GALZ, Private Bag A6131, Avondale, Harare, Zimbabwe.

AUSTRALIA

Sydney, Australia's famed gay Mardi Gras culminated with the 17th annual
parade up Oxford Street and the largest all-night party in the world, in
five pavilions of the Royal Showgrounds. At least half a million people
watched the parade, which followed a month-long festival of theatre,
film, comedy, exhibitions and sports events. The parade was broadcast
the next evening by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, the largest
TV network.

CANADA

What will they think of next? Suppose one of your favourite photos has
your ex-lover in it. For a mere $75, a new Canadian company will fire up
its fancy computers, remove the ex, insert your current lover, and
return your photos. If youre truly interested, phone Western Pro
Imaging in Vancouver, B.C., on 00 1 (604) 299-1439.

ISRAEL

Tel Aviv University has settled out-of-court and granted full spousal
benefits to the lover of gay chemistry professor Uzi Even, reports
Israel's Society for the Protection of Personal Rights. The benefits
include tuition exemption, use of university facilities, air tickets for
sabbaticals and a pension. More than 150 professors and 1,200 students
signed petitions supporting Even's lawsuit.

NETHERLANDS

The city of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, has put up ukp400,000 for its part
in bringing the 1998 Gay Games to the city. Twelve thousand athletes and
100,000 spectators are expected. It is the first time the games will be
outside North America. 'So far we have ... 17 sports and we are working
on between three and 13 more,' said Marc Janssens, secretary of the
organizing committee. 'It'll be bigger than the Olympics.' The budget
for the games is ukp5.5 million, the organizers said.

NORWAY

The homosexuality work group of the Lutheran Church in Norway issued a
paper urging that the church recognize same-sex partnerships and perform
gay-partnership ceremonies. Norway is one of three countries that offer
an equivalent to matrimony for gays and lesbians. The work group
rejected allowing gays and lesbians to adopt children or access
artificial insemination because, they said, children should be raised in
as 'normal' an environment as possible. Norway's gay-marriage law itself
does not allow for adoption or artificial insemination.

THAILAND

Thirty HIV-negative heroin addicts are being injected with an
experimental HIV vaccine in Thailand, reported Thai Health Minister
Arthit Urairat. The GP-120 vaccine, made by U.S.-based Genentech Inc.,
is given at three-month intervals for a year. If it works, the addicts
will become immune to HIV. Brazil also has expressed interest in the
trial study.

--------------------------------------------------------

MUSIC
=====

rock-pig, posturing, ego maniac, loud, noisy band: 
rock-n-roll

Or, 'Everything gay people aren't supposed to be'.

Queercore (kw'ear coor): a feeling of dissatisfaction and boredom with
the gay scene: a mixture of angry punk rock, experimental noise and a
variety of queer politics

1988-89: Toronto - Bruce LaBruce and GB Jones (from the band Fifth
Column) are doing fanzines and making films; San Francisco - Panzy
Division are making records on punk label Lookout, Matt from Outpunk
starts releasing singles; Boston - Screeching Weasel put out a single I
Wanna Be A Homosexual with Bruce LaBruce; Britain - Tongueman start
making records. Punk and Homocore tie the knot.

Early 1990s: Britain - Melody Maker picks up on the whole thing and
gives it the usual music press 'this week's thing' treatment; Riot Grrl
arrives on both sides of the Atlantic, playing games with sexuality.

Spring 1993: London - Sister George form.

Spring 1994: London - Queercore club Up To The Elbow gets up and
running.

My first taste of Sister George is in a tiny room above a tiny pub in a
Camden side street. They're so good I come away reeling, knowing
something important's happening. That's back in late September. A month
later, I run into them again, this time at The Bell in Kings Cross, Up
To The Elbow's new home. It's a merry drunken evening. I tell them I
want an interview. They say, okay.

Early 1994: Channel 4's 'Out On Tuesday' does a piece on Queercore/dykes
in rock music. Sister George, still just a name to many, are shown, high
on an East London rooftop, in the video 'Handlebar', a track from their
album 'Drag King'. It is reminiscent of early X-Ray Spex. Young, fresh,
rough and ready, giving the finger to the establishment - only this time
it isn't the music biz that's on the receiving end, but the gay
establishment, the Old Compton Street bores flashing their pink pounds
on overpriced cappuccino. The band has more in common with the early
punks, in terms of attitude, than anyone else.

Musically, you can hear traces of many influences. They could sound like
The Breeders if they really wanted to. The female/male vocal combination
reminds me of the Au Pairs at times. Sort of. But Sister George don't
sound like anyone I've ever heard, maybe because their backgrounds are
pretty diverse: me and Lisa (bass) swap stories of mid 1980s anarcho
punk bands. She's even heard of bands I was involved with back then.

Ellyott (vocals/guitar) missed all that stuff, was still in her native
Israel, grew up listening to classical music and later, REM. Lyndon
(vocals/guitar) is a little younger and was a fan of Crass but hadn't
heard of any of the other band names that came up, and Darryl (drums) is
still in his late teens and listens to rap music. Sister George listen
to a lot of stuff, but not the faceless techno of accepted 'gay music'.
They see it as passive, passionless. The establishment gay scene offers
them nothing. So what about straights coming to the gigs just for the
music?

Ellyott: 'It's the ultimate test, isn't it? We're a band, we want people
to be into the music. I don't want queerbashers dancing to our songs,
you know, not getting it at all....

Lyndon: 'Maybe that's what we should be aiming for.'

Sister George supporting Shabba Ranks? Well, okay, maybe that's taking
it too far. I've noticed a slightly more subtle edge in the newer songs,
both musically and lyrically. Lisa acknowledges this, 'A year or so ago,
with the Riot Grrl stuff, it was all very direct, obvious perhaps. To
get a bit more subtle doesn't mean you're going back into the closet,
you just maybe don't want to do some of the more obvious gay lyrics.
There's a lot more emotion in our songs now.'

Although perhaps some things need to be put pretty bluntly ('And does it
fuck you off/when dykes strap on?') There are political and social issues
here. Fun is a political issue! It's true. The gay community reflects
straight society, in that it's the men who run just about everything and
are expected to have all the fun.

The Queercore scene (for want of a better word) is vibrant right now.
There's plenty happening, and although it may look a London thing, what
with Sister George, fellow activists Mouthfull and Up To The Elbow being
based here, it's not; there are queerzines and people getting involved
from all over. Sister George are a focal point, though, and that does
create pressure - once you're seen as leaders of a movement, some never
want you to change. Lisa: 'There's so many bands, so many clubs now, you
have to take your own path. We didn't start Queercore, we certainly
pushed it along, and I would never step back from that. I feel the same
way as I did then, but I dont want to carry a torch for anyone.'

Ellyot: 'Having gay people say 'your music really does something to me'
is a great compliment, that's what I want, but I want to hear it from
straight people as well. Change people's lives? Yeah, totally, that's
what music does to me, that's why I do it.'

Lisa: 'We were involved with the Riot Grrl thing, a bit - we got the dog
end of it. It was very moral. I don't think it created anything much,
for young girls and women to go out and do their own thing; it was very
music biz run.

Ellyott: It paved the way for us, though. But now you have all the boys'
bands, 'the new wave of the new wave'. That was total backlash.'

Lyndon: 'The best thing about Riot Grrl was that it did inspire people.
Not so much the actual music, but the idea itself. In a way it was
artificial, with some of the blokes standing at the back, guilt ridden
but hating letting the girls dance down the front.'

Lisa: '.... but some of the best people I met from that time were
blokes.'

We talk about 'the scene', the way things are. Lyndon and Lisa came to
London from Manchester, where they say the 'boys v girls' thing doesn't 
really exist. I mentioned a dyke club I'd been to in the West End at the
weekend, and how little in common I felt I had with anyone there.

Lisa: 'I hate the scene! That's why we formed the band!' Sister George
would rather go for a decent beer and a game of pool than be seen dead
in your average gay bar. At their gigs, dykes and fags dance together.
It's sort of natural. Ellyot points out glumly that their audience is in
the main white, perhaps feeling that however many barriers you push
over, another will always appear.

Sister George gig pretty regularly, and live they're one of the best
bands I've ever seen: loud, intense, sassy - a bloody good rock and roll
band. Which is why an old cynic like me has seen them four times in two
months. I'd been out for only a couple of weeks when I first saw them,
and it was during their set that I knew that everything was going to be
okay, and also that it was going to be fun. I'd spent the summer reading
articles by heterosexuals on how cool it was to be a lesbian and if
anything, it stopped me coming out for a while. I didn't want to be
anyone's pet dyke. The 'lesbian chic' thing seems to be fading now. It's
been replaced by the AIDS red-ribbon-as-fashion-accessory, something I'd
noticed recently, and even more so since singer Diamanda Galas announced
that everyone who wore the ribbon should be forcibly injected with the
disease. Sister George like her.

Ellyott: I liked her before, when she had 'We are all HIV Positive'
tattooed across her knuckles and everyone said, 'Oh, how can you say
that!'

It bothers me, though, that Diamanda Galas could be seen to monopolise
suffering. She has suffered: her brother died, but he's not the only
one.

Ellyott: 'Most of her friends have died, her whole community's been
shattered by AIDS. She's been living with this for the last ten years,
she's been raising a hell of a lot of money, been getting arrested left,
right and centre.... but that's not to say shes beyond criticism.'

Lyndon: 'The red ribbon is now the ultimate liberal statement.

Lisa: You can wear all the ribbons you want, but there's still no real,
strong AIDS movement. It's passive. If there was a movement, some
action, to back that up, that would be fine, but it's so do-gooding it
just makes me angry. It's liberal, bourgeois, money making bollocks. It
makes me cringe.'

Ellyott: 'It was never meant that way. It used to be very rare to see
anyone wear it: if you were HIV Positive, and you saw someone wearing a
red ribbon, you'd know that that wouldn't be the sort of person who'd
try and put you in a concentration camp. If you had the virus, and were
scared to come out, you'd think, maybe, maybe you could tell them. Now
it's a naff, horrible gay sign. I know where it started, and why, but
they should've known it would end up like this. And now it's in
Hollywood. Three years ago at the Oscars, everyone was wearing them,
because of Liz Taylor.'

And then in Tom Hanks' acceptance speech for the Oscar he got for
Philadelphia, he said how ever AIDS sufferer who died was another angel
in heaven.

Ellyott: 'Oh, please! There were some horrible people who've died of
AIDS. He was just....

Being a luvvy?

Ellyott: 'Yeah, acting out a fucking part.'

Talk moves onto Go Fish, a film that got a lot of coverage because of
the 'lesbian chic' thing, although its success was well deserved. Lisa
hadn't seen it, Ellyott had and thought it was well made, a funny movie.
'It went well with the 'lipstick lesbian summer'. It coincided with
that. We got a lot of our exposure because of that. But I still don't
wear lipstick!'

Coverage of the band has died a little recently, a few gig reviews, not
much more. The band concede that that's the way it works, that until
there's a tour, or another record, the music press won't see fit to
cover them, or anyone else connected with Queercore, for their own sake,
even though there's more happening now than there was earlier in the
year when the music press picked up on it. Ellyott: 'We have to play
that game, we are part of it. But we want to play it and win!' There's
not much chance of another record for the moment - Catcall Records, (run
by Liz Naylor - it's her quote that titles this piece), which released
'Drag King', is no more.

The atmosphere has changed, though. It just doesn't seem to be such a
big deal to a lot of people anymore if you come out to them. Once people
have said it's okay to be queer, they can't ever take that back. So
surely lesbian chic changed things, a little anyway?

Ellyott agrees, sort of. 'But how long's it gonna last?'

Late November 1994: London, Winter Pride - Up To The Elbow have a stage
here for a couple of hours. I'm standing in a corridor, making notes,
feeling hungover and very suspicious. I'm getting a real feeling that
Queercore is being sidelined here. Ellyott hangs around for a while,
pissed off with the clones, the country and western dykes, the nerdy
security guards. The whole situation. Later, Sister George play to an
audience of, oh, two dozen maybe, before three o'clock on a Sunday
afternoon, in the acoustic hell of a sports hall. The sound is so
dreadful the band give up and walk off after a few songs. I couldn't
blame them. I walk around for a while, feeling like a consumer, a
shopper, not a participant, squeezing past stall after stall of silly
T-shirts. The Lesbian Avengers are here, though, and that raises my
spirits a bit. They have press cuttings and stuff to read. I get a copy
of their handbook. And then I leave. The whole event sums up why
Queercore exists; all I have in common with most of the people there is
my sexuality. And that just isn't enough.

Julie Travis

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FILM
====

This year's Ninth Lesbian and Gay Film Festival has been dedicated to
the memory of Mark Finch whose untimely death shocked the lesbian and
gay film community. The festival is an annual film bash where lesbian
and gay filmmakers mix with the general public for two weeks - some of
the films then go on tour throughout the UK.

The London part of the festival includes some twenty five features and
about fifty short features. The Scottish part of the tour is from 9th to
the 21st June at the Glasgow Film Theatre and the Edinburgh Filmhouse
and will include ten features and a small programme of shorts. Some of
the films which will not be on tour will be released on video later in
the year. BRAITHWAITE caught them in London.

I love film festivals - the opportunity to completely overdose on films,
go to a few parties, meet filmmakers. Amazing fun - especially because l
don't have to pay and everyone else is at work, hard work, but some one
has to do it.

I've rated each film out of ten.

Only The Brave
(Ana Kokkinos, 1993, 61 min)

This is an uncompromising feature which captures the sickly angst of
adolescence with a gruelling honesty. It has Alex and her best friend
Vicki (both Greek Australians). They party hard with a gang of girls and
have a passion for setting things on fire. Alex lives with her father
(her mother abandoned her years earlier). She is angry at everything in
society: high school, child abuse, family... everything really. Alex
realises that she has growing attractions to Vicki and a teacher and
there are some suggestive erotic moments with the teacher and Vicki. The
cast has some great young actors - one in particular you will recognise
as Cody from Neighbours who gets beaten up in one of the fight scenes.
The film comes to a head rather quickly and tragically: Alex is
disappointed by her friends and the teacher when one of the girls sets
fire to herself. The film is one of the better lesbian films at the
festival but is, ultimately, unsatisfying. 6/10

Fresh Kill
(Shu Lea Cheang, 1994)

The press pack for this film describes it as a 'multi-media,
multi-racial, eco-techno-thriller' and this kind of description would
make most folk run a mile but please don't! This, the directorial debut
for Shu Lea Cheang, is an audacious comedy. The film is set some time in
the future in New York when society has broken down to a degree - there
are giant multinational companies, people living in squatter camps - you
are either very rich or very poor. There is a ship which has been
travelling the world trying to unload but because it has nuclear waste
no one will accept it. All information in the society is censored and
must be paid for so only the rich or computer hackers have it... yes
they surf the 'Net in the future. This set the scene for two lesbians,
Shareen (last seen in Mississippi Masala with Densil Washington) and
Claire who are bringing up a daughter. Claire works in a trendy
restaurant which sells fish lips to rich yuppies and Shareen sells the
junk of society. Their lives go on well until the child is kidnapped by
what could be a corrupt multinational or some strange government
department - its all rather odd. The audacity of the film may be
striking, but it doesnt quite pull it off. l think it would be ideal as
a ten part series which would give you the opportunity to understand the
characters a little more. Nevertheless, l liked it. 6/10

100 Days Before The Command
(Hussein Rekenov, 1990, 70 min)

This film came highly recommended but I found it really disappointing -
in fact, l fell asleep: twice! Anyway, it tells the story of barracks
life for five young men and how they survive service in the Red Army.
There is abundant nudity where the men bathe each other - quite why, I
dont know - nevertheless, they do have excellent bodies! This not a gay
movie but apparently it went down well at the San Francisco and Berlin
film festivals but why, oh why? The solders are brutalised  by their
senior ranks and have the odd silly dream - a real waste. Why was it in
the film festival at all? 0/10

Midnight Dancers
(Mel Chionglo, 1994, 100 min) English subtitles

This is a film for all those who loved the documentary Ladyboys about
Manila gay life. There are three brothers who enter the world of the
Manila gay scene as 'Macho Dancers'. Joel has plied his trade for seven
years and is now 23 and is a little old for the game. He has a wife and
a gay lover and succeeds in balancing the relationships. Denis lives on
the street preferring life on the edge. The youngest, Sonny, has a
transvestite lover and dances for a living hence the title. The film is
shot in a semi-documentary style with no professional actors. It gives
an insight into gay life in Manila and it shows a little of sex tourism.
2/10

Highway of Heartache
(Gregory Wild, 1994, 86 min)

This is for all fans of Priscilla Queen of the Desert: it's a mix of
John Walters with Pee Wee Herman and is an hysterical musical. Wynona
Sue Turnpike is a God-fearing Southern redneck with gravity-defying
hair. Shooting her no-good wife-beating husband, she takes to the road
of mayhem and murder. She becomes a beautician and a porn star, and
manages to escape the electric chair before becoming a Country and
Western superstar - the pinnacle of her fame being songs like 'Bullets
Don't Mend Broken Hearts' and 'Ring on my Finger and a Stiff on my
Hand'. This is a cartoon camp romp with amazing wit which makes it well
worth watching. 5/10

Complaints of a Dutiful Daughter
(Deborah Hoffman, 1994, 42 min)

This is probably one of the best documentaries currently on the LGF
tour.  It tells the story of a daughter's response to her mother's
Alzheimer's Disease. As the autobiographical story of a filmmaker's
relationship with her mother it is tragic and at the same time witty.
Please watch it.   8/10

Skin Deep
(Midi Onodera, 1994, 85 min)

This is one of those films that deals with that 'transgender' thing. I
am not sure about it, really. Part of me says 'Why make life more
difficult?' (why would anyone want to shave every morning). Another says
It's OK really, whatever!!!'. The last part thinks they are taking the
piss out of men (which is fine). But, back to the film: Film director
Alex finally has the money for her first film about love, tattoos and
obsession and starts work with her lover Montana as her assistant. They
begin research by placing an advertisement in a tattoo magazine and get
a reply from Chris. Alex develops a fascination for Chris which begins
to damage the relationship with Montana and they all begin to pursue a
dangerous power game. This is a very powerful first feature about gender
prejudice. 5/10

Fun
(Rafal Zielinski, 1994, 105 min)

This was shown at last year's Edinburgh Film Festival - it's one of
those 'female buddies who kill' movies. It starts with two giggly girls
sitting on a bed discussing makeup - they only really want to have fun.
They tell each other stories. They eventually progress to killing an old
lady, are caught and sent to jail where the main action of the movie
takes place. The prison scenes are shot in moody black and white. The
girls are interviewed by a journalist and the prison psychiatrist who,
for different reasons, attempt to discover their motivation. The acting
and direction in this movie is well up to telemovie standard. There is a
slight lesbian subtext to the movie but it's not up to much. 6/10

Postcards from America
(Steve McLean, 1994)

I have not seen this film because it was being shown on the last day of
the film festival which would have been too late for publication. So
this is taken from the press release:

'This film is seen through the eyes of David, a gay man who reflects on
his life - a violent abusive childhood; his teens spent as a hustler in
New York and his disaffection with life in the era of AIDS as he takes
to the road. An excellent study of growing up gay in America.'

Eclipse
(Jeremy Podeswa, 1994, 95 min)

This is a small budget film about what happens to a city when it's about
to experience an Eclipse. A man picks up a rent boy, goes home and has
sex with his au pair, who seduces a stranger... a husband takes a boy to
an hotel room, the boy fucks an artist who fucks an old friend, who goes
to the backroom of a bar... the focus becomes increasingly gay. Each
scene is well paced and well shot. The sex scenes between the
heterosexuals are shown as boring while the gay scenes are not really
shown. It is a whimsical film - a gentle feel good movie. 5/10

Fast Trip Long Drop
(Greg Bordowitz, 1994)

This an attempt to portray living with AIDS in a somewhat satirical
manner by activist Bordowitz. Its largely autobiographical and tells of
how he tested positive, quit booze and drugs and came out to his
parents. There are bits of satire which don't really work or maybe they
don't translate to our culture. There have been many AIDS documentaries
in the last fifteen years and l must admit to be rather bored by them.
There are three things l don't like about HIV and AIDS:  first, the fact
that it is killing my friends and lovers, secondly the politic which has
created AIDS Professionals who waste our money and time and lastly, the
culture of which films like this are a major part - they largely preach
to the converted and with the possible exception of Zero Patience should
never have been made.  3/10

Not Angels But Angels
(Wiltor Godecki, 1994, 80 min)

This documentary has caused much debate. It is striking portrait of
young rent boys who ply their trade in Prague. The boys are young - from
15 to 19 - and they  talk about their tricks, rates, dreams, and how
they became prostitutes. The most offensive person in the film is a pimp
who talks straight to camera in an honest unconcerned manner about the
boys who work for him and how he finds clients. The boys tell you that
most of their clients are German and that they prefer older rich men,
and discuss their bad experiences with S/M perverts (as they call them).
Not surprisingly, most of the boys claim to be straight and are largely
homophobic. All dream of making lots of money but are really rather sad.
I don't really like this film because the filmmaker makes no comment -
he merely presents the pretty young boys with inserts of pornography and
 Bach's St Matthew Passion. I think this is really sex tourism on video
- 'Come to Prague and this is what you can fuck'! 6/10

Under Heat
(Peter Reed, 1994, 92 min)

In this steamy melodrama, Dean comes home to tell his dysfunctional
family that he has AIDS, but his news is overshadowed by the needs of
his demanding mother who believes she is dying and his older
drug-addicted brother. He is constantly distracted by a babe of  a
gardener. This is really funny Tennessee Williams Southern-style comedy.
One of the best movies in the festival, it has the best looking men with
some of the best camp twists. 9/10

World and Time Enough
(Eric Mueller, 1994)

Mark is an artist who specializes in setting up fast disposable outdoor
sculptures. He is an activist and is HIV positive. Joey is a trash
collector who is HIV negative. They have both fallen out with their
families and Joey is looking for his biological parents. This is a
tangled and off-beat story. It's said to be the companion piece to last
year's hit Go Fish but it is much better than that. 8/10

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SCOTSDYKE
=========

PEACE, HEALTH AND HAPPINESS

I saw the Queen was out in South Africa and she looked as if she was
really enjoying the trip, (I know I would). I couldn't help wondering
though whether she did buy some bush. And I dont mean the jungle or the
hedgerow, but Marijuana. Queen Victoria of course used Tincture of
Cannabis every day and I harbour my own thoughts on the reasons why she
never went out for years after her Albert's death. Perhaps she was not
only in mourning, but was simply too stoned to go anywhere, she probably
wore black all the time because it wouldnt hurt her eyes as bright
clothes would. Its a funny old world, isnt it? Because of course what
was perfectly accepted in her days has now been vilified and declared a
dangerous drug. Since 1971 even doctors cannot prescribe Cannabis any
longer. Mind you, they are still free to give their patients Heroin,
Morphine, Cocaine, Valium, Ativan, etc...

All these are of course addictive, yet Cannabis, which has no proven
addictive side-effects, has been stricken from the medical repertoire,
after thousands of years of therapeutic usage. 

Yes, that's right, even the Egyptians recognised Cannabis as a healing
herb when we had hardly a civilisation to speak of. And to bring you up
to date, there still is a place for it in modern medicine. Many
specialists these days are convinced that it is a very useful drug for
treating illnesses as diverse as Multiple Sclerosis, ME, Depression,
Bulimia, Glaucoma, Anxiety, Hyperactivity, Anorexia and even some AIDS
patients have reported a marked pain-killing effect. It can be used
successfully to control muscle spasms and all sorts of pains, from
period pains to arthritic joints (no pun intended).

But since 1971 anybody using Cannabis therapeutically has been made into
a criminal. For someone who is already experiencing the trauma of
illness the act of purchasing what is in fact an illegal drug to relieve
the symptoms of their affliction is a disgraceful state of affairs. It
is especially disheartening when a drug that is available through the
NHS and is in fact a chemically produced substitute, which mimics the
cannabinoid THC, is not prescribed for reasons of cost. How inhumane can
you get when you tell a person to suffer their pains, because there
isn't enough money in the kitty and sorry, but the plant which you could
grow so easily on your window sill has been made into an abomination of
everything this society stands for.

You see of course what is behind all of this. People are being
brainwashed into thinking that if you smoke or digest Cannabis you are
on the slippery slope to eventually becoming a heroin addict. What a
load of rubbish! It's like saying that if you smoke tobacco you'll
eventually end up at Alcoholics Anonymous. I have my suspicions that the
reason for all the misinformation might lie in the financial rewards
creamed off by the chemical industries, who get the medical professions
to prescribe their drugs and make vast profits every year. These drugs
are copyrighted and of course nobody can hold a copyright on a plant
(well not unless your name is God).

Large amounts of tax are being paid by these companies to the
governments of the day, which makes them honour-bound to bombard us with
the lies conceived by the chemical industries in glossy pamphlets and TV
ads preaching the evils of Cannabis. And with large profits available
for anybody investing money in these companies I doubt whether there is
many an MP who can afford campaigning for medicinal use of Cannabis, as
it might affect the return on his or her portfolio. Next time you have
someone at your door wanting you to vote for them ask them where they
stand on this issue. If they are against the therapeutic use of Cannabis
chances are that their portfolio contains a large share in chemical
companies! There are people all over Britain fighting to legalise
Cannabis, but I would be quite happy if the medicinal use of it would be
authorised. I would like to be able to grow a couple of these plants to
help my partner, who suffers from ME, without being made a criminal for
it.

Peace, Health and Happiness always,

Martina

-------------------------------------------------------------------

CREDITS
=======

ScotsGay is a magazine for lesbians, gays and bisexuals which is edited,
printed and published in Scotland. ISSN: 1357-0595.  Pageprint  Limited
1995.

Non profit use by the lesbigay community of material in the magazine
will normally be permitted free of charge - but contact us first for
permission. We havent had sex with most of the people who appear in the
magazine so we dont actually know what their sexuality is. 

Editor: John Hein.  Advertising Manager: Gordon Gosnell. Contributors in
this issue: Martin Powell, Richard Wilson (News), Philip Gill, Mark
Watson, Vicky Johnson, Julie Travis (Features), Adam and Gordon (Scene),
Rex Wockner (International),  Tony Hiscox-Sloan (Smut),  Braithwaite
(Films & Media), Martina (ScotsDyke).

Editorial Enquiries: Write to: ScotsGay, Pageprint Limited, PO Box 666,
Edinburgh. EH7 5YW. Telephone: 0131-557 0412. Fax: 0131-558 1262.
E-mail: [email-masked]  We welcome news, articles, photos,
cartoons, etc. - especially lesbian and bisexual material.

Advertising Enquiries:  Telephone: 0374 966402. Fax: 01505 335021

Subscribing by Internet: Scotsgay is available on the Internet. Send a
'subscribe scotsgay-list' message to [email-masked] and
the text files of future editions will be delivered to you by e-mail.

-- 

[email-masked]