Subject: Second MCC Church Is Target of Bomb Threat
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 14:15:31 EDT

N E W S   F L A S H
From The Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 28 May 1998

Second Metropolitan Community Church
Is Target of Bomb Threat

LOS ANGELES, CA -- For the second time in two months, a congregation of the
predominantly gay Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
(UFMCC) has been the target of a bomb threat.

Metropolitan Community Church of Bournemouth, England has received anonymous
bomb threats which are under investigation by local police.

Fundamentalist religion may have played a role in the bomb threats. According
to the Rev. Neil Thomas, senior pastor of MCC Bournemouth, a local
fundamentalist church has recently condemned the predominantly gay MCC church.
Tensions were further heightened when three members of the fundamentalist
church moved their membership to Metropolitan Community Church.

The Rev. Troy D. Perry, founder and moderator of UFMCC noted, "These threats
are still another reminder of the important work we have yet to accomplish on
behalf of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons. This marks the
second bomb threat against UFMCC congregations in the past two months. Over
the past 30 years, more than 20 of our churches have been victimized by arson
or firebombing."

"I call upon all people of goodwill to uphold the Rev. Neil Thomas and the
congregation of Metropolitan Community Church of Bournemouth with their love
and prayers during this time," Perry added. 

In April, the 3000-member Cathedral of Hope Metropolitan Community Church in
Dallas, Texas, the world's largest predominantly gay and lesbian congregation,
was the target of a bomb threat posted on the Internet. The threats are under
investigation by the U.S. FBI.

UFMCC is an international Christian denomination which offers positive,
affirming Christian spirituality to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and
transgendered persons and their enlightened friends. With an inclusive
membership of 42,000, UFMCC is composed of 300 congregations in 15 countries.
Additional information on UFMCC may be found on the Internet at
http://www.ufmcc.com

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com