Subject: Bolton Seven - Seven UK Males charged and convicted for same sex activity
From: "Paul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 23:43:08 -0800

Bolton Seven Sentencing

Posted by Paul from LGB National Pen Pals, PO Box 2000, Horwich, Bolton,
lancashire, England, BL67PG ( Two of the males I have known 12 years and
can say the last place I ever expected to see them was in a court on such
stupid charges !!)

It would be inaccurate to describe some of the males as Gay as in this case
some of the younger males where experimenting with their sexuality and now
have girl friends.

An alarming aspect of the case involved the revelation of the lengths the
Police had gone to in order to track down and arrest some of the males on
the Video Tape.

The judges' comments included a hypothetical comparison of the himself
inviting friends around to his home and then opening a door to the Lounge
to find that two individuals were having sex. 

The Judge did not accept that in private would include behind closed doors
in your own home. 

The Judge also made a moral comparison between Terry 55, and Craig, then
just short of 18, to that of a 17 year old female and 55 year old male
being in a relationship. Such a case would not be criminal between
heterosexuals.

In summing up the case the Judge stated;

"In a democratic society the will of the majority prevails, and through
their elected representatives a decision is made as to what the law on any
particular subject should be"

The Judge clearly defined that sex in private means only two people
present. During various parts of the trial the Judge concerned himself as
to whether or not the males had been in a loving and affectionate
relationship. The Judge decided that the males had not and therefore he
concluded that the sexual acts had occurred between strangers. The Judge
agreed that there were no victims in this case.

Ruth Kelly Labour M.P for Bolton West stated that she would not support a
case of this nature whether it be homosexual or heterosexual. She further
stated that the legal process and the Government are very separate systems
and that the Government has no control over the legal system.

When asked about her stance regarding her own parties Equal Opportunities
Policy she stated she could not agree to all the Labour Party Statements on
Equal Opportunities. Ruth Kelly M.P further stated that as regards a change
in the law a case is to go before Strasbourg and the Government will base
its decision on that. Ruth Kelly also pointed out that the Government is
incorporating E.U law into British Law.

The Judge accepted that Terry was of Good Character and a valuable member
of society.

During the sentencing the Judge made what were in our opinion unnecessary
insulting remarks about the younger males.

The Males were sentenced on 20-02-98 at Bolton Crown Court

Norman,32	18 months sentence for buggery
		6 months sentence for gross indecency
		Suspended for two years. 

Terry, 55	9 months sentence for gross indecency,
		Suspended for two years. Plus £500 costs.

The Five Young males were sentenced as follows;

Mark, 20	12 month's probation combined with 100 hours of  community service
for gross 		indecency.

David, 24	12 month's probation combined with 100 hours of  community
service for gross 		indecency.

Craig, 18	12 month's probation combined with 100 hours of  community
service for gross 		indecency.

Jonathan, 20	2 year's probation for gross indecency.

Gary, 21	150 hour's community service.

A suspended sentence means that if the males commit any offence during the
2 year suspension then they could still face the full prison term.

The prosecution of these males is in breach of Articles 8 and 14 of the
European Convention on Human Rights. The case is to go to appeal and
eventually to the E.U. Court at Strasbourg.