Subject: [or-world] London Pride
From: John Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 11:01:11 +0100

Despite overcast skies, yesterday's L/G/B/T Pride March through London
was both colourful and well attended.

         Afterwards marchers dispersed:
some to communal picnics and entertainment in Hyde Park;
some gravitating to the bars of Soho;
and others making their way to Finsbury Park,
(where the cost of tickets apparently reduced attendance
to an estimated 57,000, instead of the 85,000 organisers had hoped for).

         Festival crowds heard an address by Ken Livingstone.
Speaking just one day after the conviction of David Copeland
for the three London nail bombs, Mr. Livingstone expressed his determination
to rid London of homophobia, and spoke of the possibility of establishing
a civil register for lesbian & gay couples to record their mutual commitment.

         Pictures of the Pride March
http://www.OutRage.org.uk/pride2000.htm

         Copeland's Trial
http://www.OutRage.org.uk/sohobomb.htm#Trial

         BBC:  "Livingstone pledges gay marriage"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_815000/815149.stm

London Mayor Ken Livingstone has pledged to bring in "marriage" ceremonies 
for gay men and lesbians in a speech to thousands gathered at Mardi Gras 2000.
The annual London gay pride festival heard Mr Livingstone say he hoped to 
set up a civil ceremony and a register for single sex couples.

Mr Livingstone's support for gay weddings and his pledge to use the mayor's 
£3.5bn budget to try to end anti-gay discrimination caused controversy 
during the mayoral election campaign.
He told the thousands gathered in Finsbury Park, north London: "As mayor, I 
want to make certain this city is free from homophobia.
"We are going to talk to lesbian and gay people about a civil register of 
gay couples.
"It would not have the force of law but we value all loving relationships 
as equal. I want a civil ceremony where gay couples can demonstrate their 
commitment.
"What happened in the election was that one of the main attacks on me was 
for my support of the register. The people stuck by me.
"Slowly the world will change and hopefully it's moving in the right 
direction."
It is thought by some that the new Human Rights Act, coming into force in 
October, may force clergy to perform gay marriages.
During this year's festival - attended by an estimated 57,000 people - gay 
couples have been able to have their relationships blessed by the Reverend 
Neil Thomas and clergy from Bournemouth's Metropolitan Community Church.
After appearing on stage with Australian pop star Kylie Minogue, Mr 
Livingstone gave his support to the Mardi Gras festival and said he would 
back its growth in coming years.

"Everywhere in the world great cities have events like this. The Mardi Gras 
in Sydney is probably the biggest tourist attraction on the planet," he said.
"This one is small in comparison. But I want to talk to the organisers 
about building it up and perhaps in three or four years people will be 
flying in from around the world."
The seven-hour Mardi Gras 2000 followed the earlier Pride March and Parade.
A member of the Metropolitan Police's Positive Action Team was on the 
force's recruitment stall at the festival.
He said: "We are looking for a police force that represents the diversity 
of London.
"We are targeting under-represented groups, like women, ethnic minorities, 
and gays and lesbians.
"We have got a long way to go but we have got to make people understand 
that we are sincere about what we are going for."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6137/4/_/628628/_/962532011/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Community email addresses:
  Subscribe:    [email-masked]
  Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
  List owner:   [email-masked]

URL's:
  http://www.outrage.org.uk
  http://www.onelist.com/community/or-world