Subject: Two killed in London nail bomb blast at gay bar
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:28:18 EDT

From:	[email-masked] (OW-jgh)
Reply-to:	[email-masked]
To:	[email-masked]

	There will be a march to Downing Street on Saturday, 1st May.
Assemble in Brixton at the Fridge at 12:30; march sets off at 1:00.
Groups included:  Anti-Nazi League, OutRage!, Stonewall.

        =====================================

BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk
E.A. News:  http://www.diversity.org.uk/eanews/hot1.htm

        =====================================

Two people have been killed and more than 80 injured in a nail bomb blast at
a gay pub in Soho, central London. 

Police said the bomb had been placed next to the bar in the Admiral Duncan
in Old Compton Street, exploding at around 1835 BST. 

One witness described the scene as "absolute carnage", with several people
blown out of the pub into the street. No warning was given. 

It was the third nail bomb attack in London in the past fortnight. Police
are linking the explosions and said all the devices were of the same size
and type. 

A far-right splinter group, the White Wolves, later telephoned a BBC
newsroom and claimed it was responsible for the Soho explosion. 

The previous blasts, in Brixton and Brick Lane, appeared to target ethnic
communities, and the White Wolves were one of several extreme right-wing
groups that claimed they were behind those attacks. 

Apart from the two dead, three hospitals in the centre of London reported 13
seriously hurt - including two who had lost limbs - and 68 with minor 
injuries. 

Twenty one ambulances were called up, and the injured taken to University
College, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals. 

Ken Murphy, a motorcyle paramedic with the London Ambulance Service, was
first on the scene. 

He said there were numerous casualties, including two with "traumatic
amputation of limbs". 

Scotland Yard's Deputy Assistant Commisioner Alan Fry said he was anxious to
hear from anyone acting suspiciously inside or in the vicinity of the
Admiral Duncan pub. He added: "I would appeal to the public to remain
vigilant. If you see any unattended package or bag, dial 999 and move away
as soon as possible." 

Friends or relatives worried about the injured can telephone Scotland Yard's
casualty bureau on 0171-834 7777. 

Anyone with information should contact the police, in confidence, on the
anti-terrorist branch hotline on 0800-78.93.21.

        =====================================

The latest bomb in London is the third in two weeks - and the first to kill. 

17 April -- Just before 1730 BST a nail bomb explodes in Brixton,
injuring 39 people, some seriously. Police say there was no warning. 

Victims, including two children and a police officer, are wounded by flying
shrapnel and shards of glass. Some are left with nails embedded in their
bodies. Among the victims is a 23-month-old boy who has 2cm of a nail in his
brain. Surgeons at Great Ormond Street Hospital carefully remove the nail
during a one-and-a-half-hour operation. 

24 April Police stage a reconstruction of the Brixton attack to encourage
more witnesses to come forward. Soon afterwards, shortly before 1800 BST,
six people are injured and buildings damaged by a second nail bomb, which
explodes near Brick Lane, Shoreditch, in east London, the centre of the
capital's Bangladeshi community. 

The device explodes inside a red Ford Sierra. A motorist who discovered the
device puts it in the boot of his car and is attempting to drive to a police
station when it goes off. 

Police link the incidents and say they are treating them as racist attacks. 
Two hours after the attack, a 999 call is made by someone purporting to be
from Combat 18 claiming to be behind the bomb. 

        =====================================

UK Home Secretary Jack Straw has led the condemnation of the bomb attack in
Soho: "This is a terrible outrage committed by people with no humanity. I
know that the police are devoting huge efforts to find the perpetrators. Our
hearts go out to those injured, their families and friends. This awful crime
reinforces the need for all of us to be vigilant. 

"We are dealing with people who have warped minds, right-wing extremists who
are obviously racist and homophobic. That we know. I know too that the
British people will not be intimidated by this outrage, nor will the harmony
between different minorities be disturbed by it." 

William Hague, Conservative leader: ''[It's an] appalling and barbaric act.
Our thoughts are with the victims and their families and friends and those
involved in attending to them at this time." 

Paddy Ashdown, Liberal Democrat leader: "This horrific outrage, picking on a
minority, poses a challenge to all of us. My first thoughts are with the
injured and the families of those who died. I condemn this murderous and
cowardly act that strikes at the heart of civilised and tolerant values." 

Sir Paul Condon, Metropolitan Police Commissioner: ''These are cowardly hate
devices designed to kill, main and injure - initially minority communities,
but clearly they are totally indiscriminate as to who gets killed or hurt.
They are an attack on us all and we must work together to catch these people
as soon as possible.'' 

Cardinal Basil Hume, Archbishop of Westminster: "I deplore this evil attack
and the earlier attacks in Brick Lane and Brixton. It is deeply shocking
that minority groups should apparently be targeted in this way. These
outrageous acts must be condemned. My thoughts and prayers tonight are with
the families and friends of the dead and injured." 

        =====================================

Security has also been stepped up in Brighton, and Manchester's Canal
Street, which are both popular gay areas. 

Vigilance in gay areas is advised, and people are warned to look out for
suspicious people or unattended bags. 
Do not be embarrassed about false alarms - the LGBT community has every
right to take extra precautions given the stated objectives of Combat 18.

        =====================================
        =====================================

-- 
You may leave this list automatically by sending a message to
[email-masked], containing a line that says
   unsubscribe outrage-world
The 'lists' command will give information about other services

>end<