From: [email-masked] (Bjoern Skolander)

One Swedish Homosexual out of Four Is Attacked for Sexual Orientation

According to an investigation by criminolog Eva Tiby at Stockholm university
and financed by the National Institute for Public Health, one homosexual out
of four (23%) in Sweden has been threatened or attacked physically because
of his or her sexual orientation. The study had 2000 participants. The
threats or assaults included everything from insults, mobbing and
maltreatment to attempted murder.

The results are corresponding to a similar study from 1996, where 900+ gay
and bisexual women in Stockholm were participating. In that study 27% stated
that they had been victims of threats and violence during the latest 12 months.

RFSL chair Haakan Andersson says that the study showns the need of improved
legislation directed at hate crimes against gay men and lesbians. Among
other things the law protecting ethnic minorities from incitement to hatred
should even include homosexuals.

- In parliament it is questioned if incitement against gay men and lesbians
exists. I recommend parliament to read this study. It shows a need of
improved legislation, says Haakan Andersson.
------------------

Mostly translated by Bjoern Skolander <[email-masked]>

SOURCE:
News from Swedish Lesbian/Gay Politics
Published by the Swedish Federation for Gay and Lesbian Rights (RFSL)
No. 6/1997 (March 20-April 10, 1997)