From: [email-masked] (Bjoern Skolander)

PRESS RELEASE - 1997-03-19

The Swedish Federation for Gay and Lesbian Rights (RFSL)

RFSL Conference in Oerebro this Weekend

The Swedish Federation for Gay and Lesbian Rights (RFSL) is this weekend
holding  its annual conference. This year the conference is arranged by the
local RFSL group in Oerebro. 

Besides usual conference issues the 119 delegates will be discussing the
boards proposal for a new platform for the federation.

- Compared to the 1983 platform we are highlighting the questions of
diversity and the right to cultivating one's individuality, says RFSL
president Haakan Andersson. In Sweden the gay and lesbian movement has come
relatively far when it comes to legal equality. Now we should work for the
right to be accepted even if we choose to be different. Gays should not feel
forced to live as and to look like heterosexuals to be accepted.

The draft platform launches the concept "homo community" ("homosamhaelle") 
as a term for the existing solidarity in a wide sense between lesbians, 
gay men and bisexuals. One of the hot issues at the conference will be
whether RFSL should work actively to develop the homo community in fields as
media, travel agencies, insurance companies etc.

- The diversity within the homo community is similar to the diversity in
society at large, says Haakan Andersson. This fact we want to illustrate
with specific chapters in the platform dealing with youths, seniors and
immigrants.

Invited speakers at the conference are among others MP Yvonne Ruwaida (The
Greens) who has been promoting pro-gay legislation such as gay and lesbian
parentage in parliament.

Translated by Bjoern Skolander <[email-masked]>