Subject: Portuguese LesBiGay News Update - 3
From: [email-masked] (ILGA-Portugal)
Date: 24 Mar 96 18:22:05 GMT

ILGA-Portugal doesn't stop. Within our effort to have article 13 of the
constitution changed (add the term "sexual orientation") we have made
several advances.

Article 13
1) All citizens have the same social dignity and are equal before the law.
2) No person may be privileged, benefitted, forfeited, forsaken of any right
or exempt of any duty, on grounds of ascendancy, gender, race, language,
territory of origin, religion, ideological or political convictions,
education, economical situation or social condition.

We were recieved by two of the five parties represented in parliament, the
Socialist Party and the Green party. Our idieas were very well taken by the
Socialist Party and the indications were those of clear support. On the
other hand, the Green Party actually surprised us by having a proposal of
their own, already including "sexual option" in article 13. Although happy
with the iniciative, we advised the Green Party to change the term to
"Sexual Orientation". We feel this term is far more correct than the first.
The other parties (Popular (right), Social Democrats and Comunist) have not
yet set a date for our appointment. Their postion are as yet unknown.
ILGA-Portugal (IP) is having it's own proposal being drawn up to deliver to
all the parties as well as the Government and President. However, the
discussion in Parliament on this issue is already guaranteed thanks to the
Green's proposal.

IP is also supporting a national petition addressed to parliament regarding
discriminatory laws towards homosexuals. This petition mentions among other
important subjects; marriage, parenthood, adoption, age of consent and
protection laws.

As some may already know, we already have a host
(http://www5.servtech.com/ilga) for our homepages. A company in New York
offered us a free account without any conditions. As for our previous host,
IST (Technical Superior Institute - Lisbon), we have had some positive and
negative reactions. Our member who is a student there, and offered his
account to place the homepages, has been harrased and humiliated by fellow
students. 
Apparently, the teaching body has been alerted to the fact that our
homepages were censored as well as the situation of our member and are
acting swiflty on the students responsible for the Computer Department to
set an example. They (the teaching body) have given us their unconditional
support and we have been closely monotoring the situation with their help.

If possible, I would like to appeal to people to send messages of support to
the teacher dealing with this situation, emphisising how important it is
that they acted in favour of tolerance and respect for social diversity. His
e-mail is: [email-masked]

ILGA-Portugal
Goncalo Diniz
Lisbon, March 1996