Subject: Police raid in Halle, Germany
From: [email-masked] (Queer Information)
Date: 20 Jun 1996 20:18:30 +0100

POLICE TERROR IN HALLE, GERMANY

Biggest antigay/antilesbian action in history of Federal Republic

The biggest police operation against gays and lesbians in the history
of Germany's postwar Federal Republic took place on the night of 
7th-8th June in Halle, in the state of Sachsen-Anhalt. Around 200
police in full riot gear were involved in the operation. Masked police
officers with guns drawn burst into the ZOOM disco in Halle and ordered
everyone to lie on the floor. Those who did not immediately respond
were beaten with batons and bar stools. The 70 or so guests were
then handcuffed and were not allowed to talk or move for up to 
four hours. A number of guests were strip-searched, and all were
subjected to threatening, insulting and violent behaviour on the part of
the police officers. People without identification were taken to 
nearby police stations. All the guests were filmed by police video 
cameras.

The police in Halle attempted to justify their action by claiming that
they were out to arrest drug dealers. The fact that all they found 
was one ecstasy tablet shows that this claim was completely unfounded.
Local gay and lesbian groups have pointed to the fact that the raid took
place the day before the first ever Christopher Street Day (Gay and 
Lesbian Pride) Demonstration in the state of Sachsen-Anhalt. The police
operation is thus widely being seen as a deliberate attempt on the part
of the Sachsen-Anhalt police to intimidate and supress the fledgling
gay and lesbian movement in that state. Concerns have also been 
expressed that the video footage of the guests will be used to create
so-called "pink lists" - police files of known gays and lesbians.

The "Nassauer Plenum" - a non-commercial, grass-roots democratic coalition
of gay and lesbian community groups organizing for this year's 
Christopher Street Day demonstration in Berlin - has passed a resolution
condemning the police action and has called for the following:      
  
* Solidarity with the gay and lesbian community in Halle!
* No "pink lists" in Halle or anywhere else! Video footage and police files
  on gays and lesbians should be released and destroyed.
* Full compensation for all the victims of the police operation. 
* Against heterosexist police raids! No more raids!
* Remember Stonewall! Let's defend ourselves against heteroterror!

Community activists from Halle have been asked to come to speak on
the Berlin Christopher Street Day Demonstration. Messages of solidarity
etc. can be passed on via this e-mail address.

Mike Hembury 
Nassauer Plenum, Berlin.

******************************************************************************
* To subscribe to QUEERPLANET, send mail to:   [email-masked]      *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe queerplanet   *
* To unsubscribe to QUEERPLANET, send mail to:   [email-masked]    *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe queerplanet   *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                              *
******************************************************************************