Subject: Finland, May 28
From: Hannele Lehtikuusi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 13:03:29 +0300 (EET DST)

Note that there is also another mailing:
The rpress release from the MPs. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

   THE BILL ON PARTNERSHIPS OF SAME SEX COUPLES
                  FORWARDING IN THE PARLIAMENT
                - Icelanders to vote on their bill in June - 

The Finnish MPs submitted today a law bill on the partnership of 
same sex couples. The  first signatory was Ms Outi Ojala, MP of the 
Left-Wing Alliance. The bill was signed by MPs 
representing the Left-Wing Alliance, the Greens, the Swedish People s  Party, 
the Social Democrats, the National Coalition Party and the Progressive Liberal 
Finns. The bill does not contain 
right to marriage, nor church wedding and adoption. The law bill 
corresponds to the policy adopted by the other Nordic countries. 
After a preliminary debate in the Parliament the bill  will be processed by the 
Law Committee of the Parliament (the standing
committee on  law-procedure).

Together with this bill Finland joins the number of the European 
countries updating their  legislation. It is a pleasure to note that the 
MPs have felt it is important to advance this  law. The MPs who 
have signed this bill have clearly stated having an understanding of 
justice. These MPs have also realized that this issue is related to 
equality and human rights of citizens.

The debate on legislation and law bills on partnerships of same sex couples have
become routine in European countries today. In fact, changes are expected in 
national legislations. Locally, progress has been made in some countries even 
before changes in 
the national legislation, by ensuring equality of gay and lesbian couples in the
local  regulations e.g. in Belgium, France, Italy and Spain.

Today, it is possible to form a (legally binding) partnership for a same sex 
couple in Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Greenland. 
In Iceland enactment is awaited before  the beginning of the summer holiday of 
the Parliament in Iceland. The law bill submitted in Hungary does not contain 
right to adoption. Similar law bills have been submitted to the  National 
Parliaments in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and 
initiative is in process alos in Luxemburg. The Parliament of the Netherlands 
ended up to support the right of marriage  to be extended to gay and lesbian 
couples. The issue is under further preparation in a 
committee of the Parliament of the Netherlands.

For further information, please contact: 
Ms Hannele Lehtikuusi                   	Mr Rainer Hiltunen
chairperson                    			secretary General
SETA ry                         			SETA ry
( Organization for Sexual Equality in Finland)
[email-masked]                  			 [email-masked]