Subject: Finland/Appeal
From: Hannele Lehtikuusi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 10:37:23 +0200 (EET)

Below you will find the citizens'appeal text
 I mentioned in my last info on Finland.
 It has been still possible to join this Appeal  since it 
 will be handed over to the Prime Minister just
 in the forthcoming week.

On the March 12th there will be also a Citizens'Appeal
handed over to the Minister of Justice Kari Haekaemies
by the Christian fundamentalist (info tells there are some 4000
who have signed this appeal).

 yours

 Hannele Lehtikuusi
 chairperson
 SETA

 ................................................................

 

  Citizens' Appeal
  for the Same-Sex Marriage

         

  Mr Paavo Lipponen, Prime Minister
 Distinguished Members of the Parliament

  We, the signatories to this Appeal would like to express
  our deep concern about the unwillingness to take up the
  law bill to ensure a human and legal position of same-sexed 
  couples in our society. Gay men and lesbian women wish to
  recognize their partnerships not only for the sake of solving
  a variety of practical problems but also for reasons of human 
  rights and principle.
  
  A partnership of two persons of the same sex is based on the
  same emotional bonds, mutual love as in the marriages and as
  well as common-low partnerships of couples of opposite 

  sexes. The regocnition of the partnership is a sign of the
  stable and serious nature of the relationship to the couple
  themselves, but also to their beloved ones as well as all the
  social environment, no matter what kind of love - hetero- or
  homosexual is concerned.

  It is common that in a family of two persons of the same sex, 
  there are children who regard the partner for life of their
  parent as their other guardian. The rights of these children
  should be protected without delay, as today, in any legal
  context the so-called social parent is treated as a complete
  stranger in relationship to the children, e.g. in the case of
  the death of the biological parent.

  We the signatories request that this human rights issue be
  immediately rectified and as regards the human and legal position
  of the couples of the same sex rendered on a par with 
  couples of different sexes.

                                         Helsinki 5 March 1996

(altogerher 181 signatures)