Subject: 1st Gay Pride in Indonesia: Surabaya, June 25, 1999
From: "Dede Oetomo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:20:33 +0700

The Surabaya-based gay organization, GAYa NUSANTARA, coordinator of the 
Indonesian network of lesbian and gay organizations, in collaboration 
with the [French] Centre Culturel et Coop=E9ration Linguistique (CCCL) 
of Surabaya, is organizing a Gay Pride Day at the CCCL, 10 Jalan 
Darmokali, Surabaya, on June 25.
 
This first public gay event in Indonesia consists of:
 
1. A discussion on the history and prospects of the emancipation of 
transgenders, gays and lesbians in Indonesia after the opening up of 
democratic space since last year.  Oetomo, founder and 
coordinator of GAYa NUSANTARA and lecturer at the Postgraduate Program 
in the Social Sciences at Universitas Airlangga, will moderate a 
discussion involving Mme Panky Kenthut, founder and chairperson of the 
Surabaya Association of Transgenders (Perwakos); Syaiful, chairperson of 
the Malang Association of Gay Men (IGAMA) and activist with the People's 
Democratic Party; and Ms Pinky Saptandari W., chairperson of the 
Undergraduate Program in Anthropology at Universitas Airlangga and 
representative of the Indonesian Women's Coalition for Justice and 
Democracy, which has put lesbian empowerment on its agenda. This will 
take place from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. at the CCCL.
 
2. Opening of an exhibition of photographs by French lesbian 
photographer, Elisabeth Carecchio. She is known for her photographs of 
gay pride parades in New York and Paris as well as protest actions of 
ActUp, among other things. The exhibit will also feature photographs of 
everyday life of gay and lesbian families, as well as Ms Carecchio's 
latest work on the transgenders of Surabaya. This will take place at 
7:00 p.m. at the CCCL.
 
3. Gay Pride Party. A night of revelry with the dangdut orchestra 
Mutiara, regular feature of the Thursday night transvestite show at the 
amusement park, Taman Remaja Surabaya. Ten singers will croon to 
accompany revelers dancing. Following this, DJ "Patouche" will play the 
hottest dance music this side of the globe. This will take place at 9:00 
p.m. at the CCCL.
 
For more information, please email the CCCL at [email-masked] or 
GAYa NUSANTARA at [email-masked] or call (+62-31) 567 86 39 (CCCL) or 
(+62 811) 311743 (GAYa NUSANTARA).

Flyer photo caption:  Elisabeth Carecchio, Gay Pride, Paris, 1994.