Subject: THE Walk
From: owais khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:15:43 PDT

Hi,

I am writing this on behalf of LGBT India, the apex body of LGBT activism 
within India.  We congratulate you on the worthy work that you have been 
doing, and stand with you.  To update on our work here, I am pasting below 
the agenda for the next scheduled activity from LGBT India:  a Walk 
focussing on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and transgender persons rights and Human 
rights generally.

Cheers,
Owais.

On behalf of LGBT India
URL: http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Cafe/8033/

Friendship Walk 1999

LGBT India invites you to India's first public celebration of joy, 
brotherhood and love that is
our birthright.  This is also a remembrance of the Stonewall day that has 
become the single most
important event in the history of the LGBT movement.

In order to underscore our unity with our non-LGBT brothers and sisters, 
this event is being
planned as a Friendship Walk.  This is to send a message loud and clear that 
we are there; and
we are there as friends.  That we do not intend to intimidate anyone; and by 
the same token, we
are not about to be intimidated either.

To this walk, LGBT India invites all the people who believe that humans 
should be respected for
what they are.  This is an affirmation that we as LGBT people respect our 
rights.  This is also an
affirmation that we, again as LGBT people, respect others rights to live a 
life of their own
choosing.  And this, finally, is also an invitation for our non-LGBT 
brethren to affirm their faith
in human rights and walk with us.

As a result of this being the first instance of such a walk, the exact plan 
will not be shared
publicly.  All those interested in making history on Friday, the second day 
of July 1999 are
requested to register their names.  This can be done either with Owais (by 
sending a reply e-mail
/ e-mail to [email-masked]) or with Pawan / Ranjan (personally; by 
snail-mail to
PostBag # 10237, Calcutta, 700019; or by e-mail to [email-masked]).

A place of assembly in Calcutta, at 8:45 AM on 2nd July 1999, a recommended 
hotel for the
purpose of stay and an emergency contact number will be given to the 
registrants latest by June
25th.  In order for us to ensure that all the bits are in place on the 
appointed day, we request you
to register latest by June 18th.  The requirements of registration are a 
name to call you by, an e-
mail address / telephone number and your T-shirt size.  The expenses of 
travel, stay and T-shirt
will be borne by the participants.  However, we will be in a position to 
make reservations at a
recommended hotel and provide lunch for outstation participants on the day 
of The Walk.  If
someone is keen on attending and can not afford his or her own expenses, we 
could also look at a
limited number of such requests.

Please send in your registrations post-haste.  The schedule is given below.

--

Friendship Walk Schedule, July 2, 1999

9 AM - 1 PM: Two teams consisting of 15 participants each will start walking 
from two points in
the city along two pre-planned routes to network with other gay friendly 
CBOs, NGOs and
individuals. Handouts talking about the walk and LGBT-India to be handed out 
along with
flowers.  These two teams will meet at a common point, from where they will 
proceed on a short
walk to the culmination point of The Walk.

2 PM: Lunch

4.30 PM: At the press conference venue:
1. Intro to the event: Counsel Club and Integration welcome everybody on 
behalf of
LGBT-India to MediaMix '99 - II.  Topic of the second edition of MediaMix 
'99:
LGBT-India's Friendship Walk to mark the Stonewall Day on June 29. (Pawan: 
10
min.)
2. Welcome song by Shivaji and Ranjan (10 min.)
3. Introduction to LGBT-India by Owais (15 min.)
4. About Friendship Walk (brief description and purpose): Owais and Pawan 
(15 min.)
5. A friend's letter to be read out (these are the kind of letters which 
motivate LGBT
groups to exist and work, and which make events like marking Stonewall Day
relevant). (Aditya: 10 min.)
6. Dedication show - forming a triangle with candles and roses by the Walk 
participants.
(15 min.)
7. Cultural item by Raja and Shivaji (20 min.)
8. Press conference (Only speakers can be spoken to and photographed -with 
due
respect to requests for name changes etc.)
Ranjan: CC's new activities (esp. networking)
Owais: LGBT-India and Friendship Walk
Bina: Humjinsi
Pawan: Integration's plans

--

Would love to see you there.

Owais.
For LGBT India.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com