Subject: Panamanian PWA's Demonstrate for Meds
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:46:05 -0600 (CST)

PWA'S IN PANAMA CHAIN THEMSELVES INSIDE GOVERNMENT BUILDING

                                                                      By
Richard Stern

Panamanian AIDS patients chained themselves together inside  their
government's Health Care Agency headquarters Friday, in a  display of
frustration and anger after more than a year of unsuccessful negotiations
directed at receiving anti-retroviral medications.

The demonstration began Friday morning, May 7th,  at 6 a.m. and continued
peacefully throughout the day.  PWA Jorge  Nelson Moran and four others  put
chains around their wrists and sat down on the floor in the entrance hall of
the building.  Police were called to the scene but did not interfere with
the demonstration.

As the demonstration continued,  workers in the building brought
refreshments and chatted with the demonstrators.  The Agency's director,
Marienela Morales came down from her office and met with the group. She
promised to hold a meeting with them and other People with AIDS  on May
17th.  She plans to consult with Agency's  Board of Directors before the
meeting to see if a solution can be reached. Approximately 600 PWA's are
insured by the Caja de Seguro Social (CSS). The CSS currently provides only
AZT to People who have AIDS.   A large number of Panamanians  remain
uninsured, and would not benefit, even if the ISS begins to provide the
medications.

The demonstration occurred one day after PROBIDSIDA,  a Non-governmental
Organization of PWA's presented an appeal to Panamanian Supreme Court asking
to receive the triple cocktail.  A similar appeal was rejected on technical
grounds last November.

"We are tired of waiting and tired of seeing our friends dying needlessly, "
said Orlando Quintero, a Physician Living with AIDS, who is Director  of
PROBIDSIDA.  Quintero indicated that his group plans to demonstrate in front
of the Supreme Court building beginning on Monday,  continuing every two
days until the Magistrates reach a favorable decision.  "We will be there
every two days," he said, "because every two days a person dies of AIDS in
Panama.

Jorge Moran, who organized Friday's demonstration, is a 27 year old PWA who
has a CD4 count of 22. His wife  supports  his actions in a country where
People with AIDS suffer severe stigma and discrimination.  "I have decided
to do what is necessary to combat the violations of our human rights that
occurs daily, " he said. "We have no plans to stop until we are receiving
the medications we need."

Of the seven Central American nations, only in Costa Rica do PWA's receive
the triple therapy cocktail.
The region has an estimated 20,000  cases of AIDS.  Public demonstrations by
people Living With AIDS have been almost unheard of because of the strong
stigmas against PWA's the region.   A PWA group in El Salvador presented an
appeal to the Supreme Court there on April 28th.

Information:

Richard Stern (author)
Tel/Fax: 506-234-2411
e-mail: [email-masked]

Orlando Quintero
Director
PROBIDSIDA
(507) 233-6238
e-mail: [email-masked]

To see a recent article about People Living with AIDS in El Salvador, go to: 

http://www.ticotimes.co.cr/centam.html