Subject: ACTION FOR PWA IN PANAMA
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 20:47:47 -0600 (CST)

CALL FOR SUPPORT FOR  AIDS
MEDICATIONS IN PANAMA

My name is Norma de Quintero and I represent PROBIDSIDA, a foundacion
dedicated to the well being and dignity of people living with AIDS in
Panama.  In October of 1997, we initiated a struggle in which we are hoping
to receive from the Caja de Seguro Social (the government health care
provider) the new anti-retroviral therapy for people who have AIDS.

At this moment in Panama, the government only provides AZT and there is also
the danger of rapid resistance when AZT is taken as monotherapy.  We have
had conversations with government authorities but they have told us that it
is us who have to take action if we want things to change.

For this reason we are asking  the international community to give a message
to Panamian Health authorities by sending letters of solidarity to the
following fax numbers.  If possible please indicate your organization and
from what part of the world you are writing.

The text of the fax could be as follows:

"We the members of ________________________________ support the actions
proposed by PROBIDSIDA, that the "Caja de Seguro Social" of  Panama and
other government entities
provide the new anti-retroviral medications."

Please send your faxes to:

Sra. Aida de Rivera, Health Minister
Fax No. 507-227-5276

Sra. Marianela Morales, Director General Caja de Seguro Social
Fax No. 507-261-2208

Sr. Ernesto Perez Balladares, President of  Panama
Fax No.  507-228-1061

with a copy if possible to our lawyer
Sr. Ricardo Lachman
Fax No. 507-264-4730

e-mail: <[email-masked]>

Note to Readers:  In negotiations with Central American governments, it is
apparent that pressure from the international community has a very important
impact, and  that these governments do have resources which they will only
use if they are pressured to do so.  Your small investment in  a fax may
help to save many lives.

Richard Stern
Asociacion Triangulo Rosa
Costa Rica