Subject: TIJUANA STUDS STRUT THEIR STUFF FOR ACTIVISM
From: [email-masked] (Rex Wockner)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 00:06:48 -0700 (PDT)

** Article copyright (c) 1995 Rex Wockner and Uptown Publications. All 
rights reserved. Contact author for reprint information.

****************************************************************
NOTE: In the phrase "Grupo Y Que?" you must put an upside-down
question mark directly before the Y and you must put an acute-
accent on the e. In the word "Clinica" put an accent on the first
i. Also, "discotheque" takes the other kind of accent on the
first e. Thanks, Rex
****************************************************************

Pretty Boys Strut Their Stuff For Tijuana Activism
by Rex Wockner

	Tijuana's eighth-annual Mr. Baja Gay Contest is this Friday
night, Sept. 1, at 11 p.m. at Los Equipales discotheque on 7th
Street just east of Revolution Avenue.

	The annual fundraiser generates much of the operating budget
for the leading Tijuana gay-rights organization, Grupo  Y Que?

	Subtitled "A Contest of Masculine Personality," the event
awards the three winners prizes and trophies. Mr. Baja Gay 1995
will receive 800 new pesos ($133) and the runners-up 300 and 100
new pesos.

	About 10 contestants are expected, from Tijuana, Ensenada,
Mexicali, Rosarito and Tecate, the principal cities of the state.

	They will be judged in casual wear, formal wear and swimming
suits "by a panel of international celebrities in the gay
community," and will be quizzed about gay culture and Mexican
current events.

	Grupo  Y Que? organized Tijuana's first and highly successful
Gay Pride March this summer and has been accepted as a member of
the International Association of Lesbian/Gay Pride Coordinators. 

	In conjunction with AIDS Project Tijuana, Grupo  Y Que? also
co-founded Clinica ACOSIDA, Baja's only gay-community-based and
completely free AIDS clinic.

	For more information, phone, direct-dial 011-52-66-80-99-63.

                              ==end==