Subject: JAIL SENTENCES PROPOSED FOR PEOPLE WITH AIDS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:09:39 -0600 (CST)

NEWS FROM TRIANGULO ROSA:
19 June, 1997.

CRIMINAL PENALTIES PROPOSED FOR PEOPLE WITH AIDS IN COSTA RICA

In a new outbreak of  psychological violence against people with AIDS in
Costa Rica, the President of the Costa Rican Medical Association,  Dr. Marco
Antonio Batalla, has called for severe criminal penalties for HIV positive
persons who continue to have sexual relationships without informing
prospective partners of  their HIV status.  Dr. Batalla´s recommendation
received extensive coverage in yesterdays edition of LA NACION, the countrys
largest daily newspaper.

A law pending in the Costa Rican Senate since last year proposes prison
terms of  3 to 8 years for people who do not inform their sexual partners of
their  HIV status.   Penalties would increase to  12 to  20 years if a
person is infected as a result of a given sexual act.  Public hearings are
now being held on the law.

"These types of laws have nothing to do with prevention of  AIDS," said
Richard Stern, Health Coordinator of  Costa Rica´s gay lesbian Association
Triangulo Rosa. "They are unenforceable, but they  promote the witchhunt
mentality that already exists here.  On a worldwide level it is a known fact
that prevention has more to do with empowerment and  education, than with
punishment and fear. Here we have an AIDS affected population that remains
underground and fearful, and the proposed law will only maintain their
invisibility and perpetuate the epidemic.  Violations of the human rights of
people with AIDS, continue to occur on a daily basis here," he added. " We
will now have police officer following AIDS victims to try to see who they
sleep with."

Dr. Batalla also called for the elimination of provisions in the law that
recommend providing new medical treatments to people with AIDS, which he
called  "super-expensive."

Triangulo Rosa has been promoting a series of activities in Costa Rica
designed to promote access to the new retroviral medications which are not
provided by the government here. About 300 Costa Ricans are currently in
need of these medications.

Guillermo Murillo, Coordinator of Triangulo Rosa´s patient empowerment,
called for Dr. Batallas resignation from the position of Director of the
Medical Association.  "His statements reflect an attitude of  prejudice and
lack of awareness that should not be tolerated by an Association dedicated
to the health  and well-being of the population." he argued.