Subject: TEACHER FIRED FOR BEING GAY
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:38:49 -0600 (CST)

Teacher Fired for being GAY
                           (urgent support-action)
                           Costa Rica, March 1998

	 The Executive Director of Triangulo Rosa, Costa Rica´s GAY and LESBIAN
Association Francisco Madrigal, has publicly denounced St. Paul High School
for firing one of their teachers because he is homosexual, although this is
not an isolated case in Costa Rica, this is the first teacher to publicly
speak out  and therefore is creating a precedent  for other GAY and LESBIANs
in this country.
  
	We consider that this action is a Human Rights Violation  and is in ample
contradicction of articles 28, 33, 78 and 79 of our Political Constitution
and the  International Treaties confirmed by our country, according to
article 26 of the Declaration of the Human Rights, and article 13 of the
International Pact of Social, Economic and Cultural Rights.

	We believe that the sexual orientation of a person does not diminish the
right to participate in the educational process, since sexual preferences
are private actions which have nothing to do with a person´s effectiveness
as a teacher and is in no way illegal, or immoral and does not affect the
well being of others in our country.  

	We demand that drastic measures be taken against this institution  since
its role is the development of human chartacter and there is no reason for
discriminating against any person for his or her sexual orientation.
Therefore,  we demand that the Education Ministry, by means of the
department that regulates private schools, insist in humanistic education
without prejudice. 

	We urgently solicit your support in forwarding this message to others, and
sending your own messages of solidarity to:

Ministerio de Educación Pública,
Ministro de Educación
Eduardo Dorian
Directora del Departamento de Centros Privados
Carmen Castro Cordero
e-mail: [email-masked]

Saint Paul High School
Principal
Rodell Schneeringer de Ramírez
e-mail: [email-masked]

Asociación Triángulo Rosa
Executive Director
Francisco Madrigal
e-mail: [email-masked]
 
Asociacion Triangulo Rosa
PO.BOX 1619-4050
Alajuela-Costa Rica
Direccion Av.2 y 4 Calle 13 Edificio 217
Tel: 506-258-0214
Fax: 506-258-0635
e-mail: [email-masked]