Subject: Legal Action Against Discrimination: Costa Rica
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:01:00 -0600 (CST)

News From Triangulo Rosa
San Jose, Costa Rica
23 September, 1998

COSTA RICAN GAY ASSOCIATION FIGHTS DISCRIMINATION BY CHURCH AND GOVERNMENT
OFFICIALS

The Director of Costa Rica's gay/lesbian Association Triangulo Rosa,
Francisco Madrigal,  has filed a complaint in  the Supreme Court's
complaints division  against Mr. Roman Arrieta Villalobos, the Archbishop of
San Jose, and Mr. Minor de Jesus Calvo, Parish Priest.  Triangulo Rosa also
placed a complaint with the Defensoria de los Habitantes, the government's
ombudsmen organization, against the President of Costa Rica, Dr. Miguel
Angel Rodriguez.

These complaints have been filed as a result of  the public statements made
by  Arrieta, Calvo and Rodriguez in the nation's television, radio and
newspaper system,  with respect to a planned gay/lesbian festival, which was
to have been held here  in August,  organized by a local tourism company.
The festival was finally canceled because of the fear of violence against
participants. 

On August 2nd of this year, a national religious holiday,  the President of
Costa Rica  was quoted in the press as saying "Its important that the
indicated  authorities not grant any permits for any type of public
activities for this festival."

Roman Arrieta, Archbishop of San Jose stated on the same day "I fervently
desire that  legal means be found to impede this festival from being carried
out, and that our people, men as well as women, express in a dignified and
civilized fashion their complete rejection of the  festival." He added "Its
a terrible example for our youth and goes against our values and offends the
ethical and religious feelings of a large majority of Costa Ricans." 

Minor de Jesus, a Parish Priest who appears frequently on television, stated
that "I feel sorry that in Costa Rica we open the doors for the realization
of a Gay/Lesbian tourist congress, which is debauchery."  He also criticized
the relationships of  gay couples as going against nature,  and being
'corrupt and loose.' He insisted that his listeners should call the
Municipality of Quepos, site of the proposed  festival, to oppose it, and
concluded saying that he would like to  be part of any demonstration against
the activity.

We believe  that these individuals, who have significant influence here,
are  creating and promoting a climate of  hate and discrimination in the
population.

For the reason we believe that:

*they are violating article 48 of  Costa Rican General Law 7771 which refers
to discrimination on the basis of "sexual option."

*Article 385 of the Penal Code which penalizes those who incite hate and
publicly spread information designed to humiliate others.

*Article 26 fo the Political Constitution which guarantees  the right to
hold peaceful, non-violent gatherings.

*Article 33 of the Constitution which establishes the equality of all
citizens  before the law  and prohibits discrimination against human dignity.

*Article 20 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states that
"all people have the right to meet and associate."

*The San Jose Treaty (American Convention of Human Rights) in article 13,
which establishes the respect for  the reputation and rights of all people.

In general we consider that our rights as people have been violated and that
,with respect to the church,  this is not an isolated case.  Therefore, in
the case of the Archbishop and the Priest we are asking the respective
institutions  of our  government to impose the penalties  indicated by law.
With respect to our President, we are asking that the Defensoria de los
Habitantes make it clear to him that he cannot violate the laws of our country.

Please  your  letters  of  support to

Case of President Rodriguez
Defensoria de los Habitantes
Licensiada Sandra Piszk
Re: File # 5387-22-98, oficio #318-98
Oficio. # 318-98
 e-mail:  [email-masked]
with copy to us at [email-masked]

Case of Archbishop Arrieta:
Send e-mail to us at [email-masked]
referring to Case # 98-0035-15-626FC

Case of Father De Jesus:
Send e-mail to us at [email-masked]
referring to Case #98-0035-14-626FC

Asociación Triangulo Rosa
Apartado 1619-4050
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Tel: 506-258-0214
Fax: 506-258-0635
e-mail: [email-masked]