From: Daniel Soto Mayorga <[email-masked]> We, the members of the Gay University Students Colective Group (CGU),

knew about a recent accusation against students at the International
University of the Americas (UIA). The accusation, presented by 
Francisco Peralta, promotes discrimination
against a number of students who are being labeled as homosexual 
because of "their dressing style and their behavior in general."
	
	As a result, the UIA published a response in the newspaper "La Nacion"
on August 15. Many of the ideas expressed in that response provide
little room for further thought or any solutions to the real problems
of the students. On the contrary, they promote a "witch hunt" not 
appropriate of educators or educational administrators.
We perceive a clear fascist attitude in the UIA response that hurts 
the development of moral and ethical values in the Costa Rican society
because it shows no tolerance nor respect to the human right to be
different. 
 
	With the so-called pretext of preserving ethical values and the
Costa Rican traditions, the response hides homophobic attitudes
and stereotypes that associate fashion and self-determination in 
dressing styles with homosexuality. We believe that homosexuality
is a sexual possibility that may happen in any human grouping. 
It is even accepted by the new  catholic catechism which states in
point 2358 that "all signs of discrimination against homosexuals 
should be avoided and they should be looked upon with respect".
 
     To think that stockings, earrings or long hair equals
homosexuality
is ridiculous, otherwise, any person, even the members of the sports
teams supported by the UIA, would be gay, and therefore they wouldn't
be eligible to belong to the university. The UIA news response
attempts
to dictate the way Costa Ricans should dress and behave as
individuals.
 
	The UIA people show little knowledge of our constitution that states
that "every citizen is equal to the law and no discrimination should
be done against human dignity" (art. 33). (It's not contradictory 
that the UIA manipulates "the values inherited to us by great men",
because these men were the ones that did not allow women to vote or to
hold public offices until 1953. )
 
 	If Costa Rica prouds itself to be "the oldest democracy in Latin
America", educators should make the effort to ensure that educational
curriculums promote self-criticism, social development and the right
to be different" in this country. 
 
     We ask people to complain about this discriminatory action that
threatens human rights. Please direct you messages to:
 
send a postcard o letter to:
 
			 Lic. Miguel Angel Gutierrez Alvarez
			 Rector de la UIA, fax (506) 22-3216.
			 Apdo postal 1447-1002 Paseo los Estudiantes
			 San Jose Costa Rica
 
Ademas con copia al	 Colectivo Gay Universitario
	                 Apdo. 1476-2050 San Pedro,
with copy to:        	 San Jose Costa Rica.

Translation by: Isidro Bruno miembro de Arenal (the gay,lesbian &
Bisexual spanish list)

 
UPDATE: 
	Costa Rican suprem court has asked this University to change
its policy or Close for ever, we need more of your help. Please send a
postcard, or a fax.
 
Daniel Soto

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
Daniel Soto Mayorga          Pledge of allegiance: "...With liberty
[email-masked]        and justice for all".  Why is "all" so hard
[email-masked]                 to understand ?
[email-masked]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx