Subject: Queerplanet Mailing list Problem caused by me????

From: Harald Holler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 95 18:50:59 -2400

Hello there,

I was sending yesterday an email with two photos as attachment concerning 
the discrimination of g/l in Costa Rica.

I have not received any mail from the queerplanet eversince!!!

If the mailing list got blocked by the mass of datas please look for the 
message "La Nacion" and delete the whole message!

I already put new messages which are more important because the 
discrimination continues or better gets stronger!!

In case that's the wrong adress please forward!

I can hardly access the Internet because of extense use or perhaps that 
somebody at the states monopoly for telecommunicatios tries to make me 
problems!!!

In case you are totally unaware of the situation here please note 
attached sheets!!!

Very kind regards

Harald

----------
NEW DISCRIMINATION / ACTION ALERT 

1. Today "La Nacion" was  -not- publishing what their e-mails yesterday 
stated!

"La Nacion" is not redrawing from their article about sex tourisme dated 
6/14/95 in which tey cannected visually Hotel Colours to sex tourisme and 
prostitution. The article was based on "La Prensa Libre" and Reuter and 
written in the name of "La Nacion" by Magarita Arteagara.

2. "La Nacion" has REJECTED our try to buy one page in next sunday's 
edition to publish our resolution against discrimination of gay/lesbians 
in Costa Rica!!!!

This rejection is in deed a worse discrimination than the articles 
written!!!!!

Beside that we our lawyers stated that we will have now the chance to sew 
not only reporter Rosibel Mena V and "La Prensa Libre" (it's director 
stated last monday that all the national press supports Rosibel Mena and 
he defended her articles!!!) but possibly also "La Nacion" for denying us 
to buy one page for our declaration at the Supreme/Constitutional Court 
(Sala IV).

We will study this possibility within the next days!!!!

3. Government has not made any statement about the discrimination!!!
        (email them your protest!!!)

4, There are serious hints that behind the discrimination is more than 
Rosibel Mena V..

This situtation is getting highly frightening!!

We need your support!

Please forward and email or copy and paste and fax the most important 
contents of my mails to any person or company you can think they might 
helpfull!!!

Please forward to amnesty international!!
(We think that the rejection of our paid page at "La Nacion" is already a 
case for them)

Please try to get political persons, companies, actors, writers etc. to 
send a letter of protest!!!!!

We need your support now!!! ACT UP!

Very kind regards

Harald Holler
-----------
hello out there

the international support slowed very much down!! I had to find out, that 
many people are not yet informed about what is going on in Costa Rica for 
not having e-mail!! IGTA had received all information by fax but they 
were unable to defend one of their members (Casa Blanca) by supporting 
our fight against the discrimination here. I need urgently statistics 
about the gay/lesbian travel market! I would highly appreciate to have a 
member of IGTA like American Airlines making a letter of protest (what 
about an actor!!).

Most gay/lesbian magazines are still unaware, too!!!

Please copy and paste the most important messages I put on the Internet 
and fax them to people and institutions which might be intereste to help 
our fight!!! 

"La Prensa Libre" wrote yesterday again about Costa Rica = Sex Paradise 
but I had no chance to get the paper, yet!!!

The Costarican government has not yet made any statement concerning the 
discrimination made by "La Prensa Libre" and its reporter which was 
compared by members of the European Parliament with the way Hitler used 
to kill thousands of homosexuals in the concentration camps!!! (I think 
that should make it serious enough to join the protest!!!!)!!!

Some of the first negative results from instutiones from the state:

Migration Police dropped in to control the books (which they have never 
done before at least not during the last 3 1/2 years and what they had to 
do regularly)
Tourist Bureau and Tax Office are studying already our files to get hold 
of something bad (guess why?!) and anounced an investigation in our hotel 
(I do not know any other hotel in our area which was inspected the last 4 
years!!!).

We have everything up to date, we never worked illegally. That's not the 
problem, but it seems that the old "putting pressure" game we all know 
very well from other states and from the history of gay/lesbian places in 
the US and Europe.

The glbt movement of Costa Rica will publish on this sunday one page in 
"La Nacion" with our resolution against discrimination of homosexuals in 
Costa Rica!!! I will translate and sent it to you on sunday!!!

For those who are yet unaware I am attaching the most important messages 
I sent!

Thank you very much for your support and remember: one of the biggest 
supports is if you keep on visiting Costa Rica!!!!!!!

Harald Holler

Hotel Casa Blanca
Manuel Antonio / Costa Rica

P.S. New: our lawyer claims that we cal also sew the newspaper "La Prensa 
Libre"

     I am out of the office from 6/26 to 7/7, for being the only one from 
our g/l/b/t movement, please in case of very important questions please 
FAX to:
"Gente 10", Sr. Jose Carrasquero Diaz, (+506) 285-5368!!!!!!!!!

***************************
Messages sent 13 to 16th of June
***************************
to the gay/lesbian worldwide community

In all democratic Costa Rica, where no laws exist to discriminate
gays/lesbians the national newspaper "La Prensa Libre" published today
6/13/95 the first report (promotion of Costa Rica as a homosexuell
paradies, prostitution, gays and lesbians) of in total three reports
stating that the gay/lesbian exclusively hotels: Joluva Guesthouse, 
Colours
and Casa Blanca de Ml. Ant. (Casa Blanca owned by my lover and myself) 
are
connected to prostitution. The report states further that on the Internet
are existing services which are promoting the sex turisme to these 
hotels,
which is of course not true!
The very offending first report (the owners of the mentioned hotels are
described as scrupelous people) is saying, too, that the international
promotion of gay/lesbian places in Costa Rica is in deed embarrassing for
the nation and that the fact that agencies try to bring gay/lesbian
tourisme to Costa Rica is a public offense against the politc of our
President Jose Maria Figueres Olsen to promote eco-tourism. The reporter 
-
Mrs. Rosibel Mena - states that unfortunately the laws of Costa Rica are
not strong enough to accuse the gay/lesbian hotels! She even filed above
mentioned hotels to the national tourist chamber (CANATUR) and the 
Tourist
Ministery (ICT) stating that these hotels are internationally promoting
their places being dedicated to prostitution!

The article is based on a information about a gay/lebian tour package to
Costa Rica issued by "Amphitron Holidays", Washington DC. Beside that 
this
information is not talking about prostitution, not one of the Costarican
gay/lesbian hotels were ever asked to be included in the package. We all 
do
not know that agency at all nor how we got included into their package.
The reporter Mrs. Mena visited me personally to get an interview. During
that Interview I confirmed her that we do not have any connection to
"Amphitron Holidays" and that we do not know how we got included into 
their
package!
In that interview I made clear that we -Casa Blanca- are in fact a
gay/lesbian hotel and explained to her that it would be better if she 
would
write in favour of the gay/lesbian society in Costa Rica to get more
tolerance and acceptance.
She promised to do so, but she falsificated all dates from the interview 
to
start an "inquisition" on us hotel owners and to ask for legal 
prosecution!

I am lucky for being able to name our receptionist as witness for that 
what
really was talked during that interview, because she followed the whole
conversation!

All hotels together will search tomorrow for legal support to sew the
newspaper for discrimination, falsification of information, damaging the
reputation of our buisnesses and ourselves as owners!

For showing our Casa Blanca entrance with rainbow logo and rainbow flags
"La Prensa Libre" even connect the Gay Pride movement and symbols to
prostitution!!

The biggest newspaper "La Nacion" will print tomorrow an interview I gave
them today, correcting the lies from "La Prensa Libre" by informing the
public with the real base and facts of the article.

We - Colours, Joluva and Casa Blanca - would highly appreciate your kind
support by sending your letters of protest (as many as you can write) to:

La Nacion:                              e-mail: [email-masked]
La Prensa Libre:                        Fax: (+506) 223-4671
Casa Presidencial
President Jose Maria Figueres Olsen:    Fax: (+506) 253-9078
Tourist Ministery
Ing. Carlos Roesch                      Fax: (+506) 255-4997
Defensoria de Habitantes
Defensor Lic. Rodrigo Carazo Zeledon    Fax: (+506) 296-2512
CANATUR                                 Fax: (+506) 253-8102

In case somebody of you has connections to ILGA and/or the United Nations
Council for Human Rights, please do us the favor to forward this message 
to
them!
If you know powerful travel agencies or their travel boards please 
forward
this message, too!!!

Please write the letters asap. for stopping that "inquisition" by
international protest as soon as possible!

I would like to thank you in advance in the name of the mentioned hotels
for your kind support,

very kind regards

Harald Holler
Hotel Casa Blanca de Ml. Ant., S.A.
Manuel Antonio / Costa Rica
***************************
NEW AGRESSION AGAINST GAY/LESBIAN HOTELS IN COSTA RICA

Today's editions from the Costarican national newspapers "La Prensa 
Libre"
and unfortunately also "La Nacion" (which yesterday promised to correct 
the
discriminations and lies made by "La Prensa Libre") called an 
"inquisition"
down on Hotel Joluva, Hotel Colours and Hotel Casa Blanca - Costa Rica's
gay/lesbian hotels.

Both papers are statig that gay/lesbian tourisme is naturally connected 
to
prostitution and sex-tourisme. Therefore the catholic church and other
institutions like the tourist bureau (ICT) are asking to find the legal
methods of closing all gay/lebian hotels down!

In the constitution of Costa Rica minorities are protected by law from
discrimination!

I just received dead threats by phone and I had a self nominated 
commission
"for the closing of hotel Casa Blanca" calling me to advise me that they
want to destroy physically our hotel!

I have no chance to get E-Mail address for the govermental offices of 
Costa
Rica (I doubt that they have E-Mail!), so please support us by sending 
your
letters of protest to the following fax numbers.

Please forward this message to all people and organisations which might 
help us.

We will elaborate the accusation of "La Prensa Libre" and "La Nacion" 
today
to present it today or latest tomorrow to the supreme court!

Please give us as much support as possible!

Thank you very much for you kind support!

Kindest regards

Harald Holler
Hotel Casa Blanca
Manuel Antonio / Costa Rica
***********************************
Manuel Antonio 06/15/95

To the international gay/lesbian community:

It's pathetic that only a few letters of protest where sent!

I am invited for an interview today at the local radio station and to a
live show next week at one of the biggest TV channels of Costa Rica
(Channel 4 - Univision)! It would be very nice, If I could say that we
(gay/lesbian hotels and gay/lesbian society of Costa Rica) have got a 
very
strong international support!!!!!!!

Our lawsuit against the papers "La Prensa Libre" and "La Nacion" will be
based on the following reasons:

1. Both papers are stating that homosexuality and prostitution are 
directly
connected and they use prostitution as a synonym for homnosexualtity!

2. For that reason they put us in a criminal backround because in Costa
Rica prostitution is forbidden by law!

3. To equal homosexuality with prostitution is a discrimination! Costa
Rica's constitution forbids the discrimination of minorities and the laws
are not showing any difference concerning the age of consense which is 16
years for g/l/b and heterosexuals.

4. The Supreme/Constitutional Court (Sala IV) of Costa Rica decided last
year that the existance of gay/lesbian stores, bars, discos is not 
illegal
and not against the constitution and that gays/lesbian are protected by 
the
constitution which forbids discrimination of minorities!

5. Both newspaper are stating that the gay/lesbian tourisme is nothing 
else
than 100% sex - tourisme which is against moral and culture and which is
against the government's politic of the promotion of ECO-TOURSIME!!!

6. Costa Rica is member of the UNO and accepted the Magna Carta of the
Human Rights. Discriminations like the reported one must be made public 
and
must be discussed internationally. Costa Rica receives money from all 
over
the world for ecological and social projects. One of the biggest 
donations
are coming from the Netherlands, proud and tolerant host of the Gay
Olympics 1999!!

If these points are not enough to make you move, than I do not know what
the international gay/lesbian groups exist for!!!

All gay/lesbian bars and discos from Costa Rica are joining us in our 
fight
and we will buy one page of "La Nacion" to present the letter of 
accusation
to the public!

Yesterday a party was held at gay/lesbian disco "Deja Vue" which was
interrupted to make a call to join our fight against discrimination in
general and in the case of "La Nacion" and "La Prensa Libre" in 
particular!

It is the first time for Costa Rica that the gay/lesbian society is 
joining
together to enter a political fight for our human rights!

I will post you still today a letter from "Gente 10" - Costa Rica's new,
first and only gay/lesbian magazin about the result of the party at "Deja
Vue".

Please note the following letter which was sent to "La Prensa Libre":

Original Text:

Senor Andres Borrase                                       San Jose 
14/06/1995
Director - Presidente
La Prensa Libre
Presente

Estimado senor:
Como persona, como ciudadano, como humanista, como abogado, como padre y
como abuelo me encuentro indignado por la tergiversacion que ha hecho la
periodista Rosibel Mena V. entre los terminos prostitucion y
homosexualismo.
Solo la homofobia y la lesbofobia (miedo o repudio al gay y a la 
lesbiana)
pueden ser los motivos que impulsen la redactora en su desconocimiento.
Hoy bien se sabe que la homofobia y la lesbofobia tienen origen no solo 
en
factores culturales sino en las propias inseguridades sexuales del fobico 
o
fobica.
Ojala que la Prensa Libre cese en este tipo de articulos que solo odio y
prejuicios fomentaran entre sus lectores, contra uno de los sectores mas
discriminados socialmente.

Atentamente
Marco Castillo Rojas
ID Card # 3-162-262
------------------------------------
Translation of the text:
------------------------------------
Dear Sir,
as person, as citizen, as humanist, as lawyer, as father and as 
grandfather
I am furious about the distortion (twisting) of the terms prostitution 
and
homosexuality made by reporter Rosibel Mena V.
Only the homophobia y lesbophobia (fear or repudiation against gays or
lesbians) could have been the reasons which impulsed the reporter in her
unawareness.
Today we know very well that homophobia and lesbophobia is not also
originated in cultural factors but also by the own sexual insecurity of 
the
phobic person.
Hopefully "La Prensa Libre" will end this kind of articles which only 
will
build up hate and prejudges among its readers against the socially most
discriminated sector.

Sincerely
Marco Castillo Rojas
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------

I will ask "[email-masked]" to put a pedition on their homepage to be
signed hopefully by all of you stating:

I support the fight of the gay/lesbian society of Costa Rica against
discrimination!

I am against the discriminating twisting between prostitution and
homosexuality and the equal use of both words for gays/lesbians, as made 
by
the newspapers "La Nacion", "La Prensa Libre" in their articles dated
13/6/95 and 14/6/95!

I protest against the statement of both newspapers that the gay/lesbian
tourisme is nothing else than sex tourisme. The gay/lesbian tourisme  is
highly interested in the natural beauty and wildlife of Costa Rica and 
the
conservation of the biodiversity in the primary rainforests all over the
world.

I kindly ask the Costarican Government and authorties to stop that kind 
of
discrimination which is forbidden by Costa Rica's Constitution and laws 
and
by the Magna Carta of Human Rights from the United Nations!

Sincerely
........

*********************
To the international gay/lesbian worldwide community:

After the last article was published yesterday at "La Prensa Libre" life
comes back to normal which allows the following:

FINAL EVALUATION:

Thanks to your letters of protest, yesterdays edition of "La Prensa 
Libre"
gave a report about what people in our region (Quepos) and nationwide are
thinking about gays, together with parts of the interview I gave the
reporter Rosibel Mena V..

----
So far so good, but .......
----

All 4 articles from "La Prensa Libre" were front page articles (as if the
world has nothing more important to be reported!)!!!

        6/13/95
        Front Page:
        Prostituion, Homosexuality and Lesbianisme
        COSTA RICA: SEX - "PARADISES"
        . the nation without legal instruments to prevent it
        . sex centers all over the country

        Article Headline and Intention:
        Prostitution, Homosexuality and Lesbianisme
        COSTA RICA PROMOTED AS HOMOSEXUAL PARADISE
        (color photo of Casa Blanca entrance with rainbow flags, photo of 
Joluva
Guesthouse)
        Articles starts with: "Prostitution, Homosexuality and 
Lesbianisme
have found in Costa Rica a paradise, worth for being promoted en the 
mayor
cities of the world. Since month scrupelous people have put Costa Rica on
the map for sex tourisme with messages included in satelites, sex 
magazins
and homosexual magazins with wide circulation in the world.
        The situation qualified by the authorites as very serious for the
international reputation of Costa Rica could not have been controled for
legal limitations....."
        "...... papers as "Gente 10" or the "Spartacus" which are sold
abroad are serving the owners of gay places in Costa Rica as worldwide
promotion.
        But those guides leave the ecological tourisme out, which is
promoted whith big efforts by our president Jose Maria Figueres Olsen, or
the traditional tranquility, peace and democracy Costaricans are
enjoying........"

        (in this article the reporter files us (gay/lesbian) hotels to
tourist ministery, president, national tourist chamber as places for sex
tourisme and prostitution)

        6/14/95
        Front Page:
        The law no restricts gay centers
        WITHOUT DEFENSES AGAINST SEX TOURISME
        . courts resolution protects gays in one or the other form
        . owners for hotels for homosexuales are speaking

        Article Headline and Intention:
        The law no restricts gay centers
        COSTA RICA WITHOUT DEFENSES AGAINST SEX TOURISME
        (Photo from Hotel Colours)
        Article starts with: "Costa Rica is without any defense against
this               wave of international promotion whicht defines the
country like paradise for prostitution, lesbianisme and homosexuality!
Costarican authorities are with tied hands for doing somethinmg against
this masive publicity..."

(this article still links Colours, Joluva and Cas Blanca to sex tourisme
for nothing else than being gay/lesbian hotels but at least this article
states the supreme courts decision that gays are protected against sexual
discrimination and that gays have the right to create their own bars,
hoteles etc.. states authorities are confirming that the mentioned three
hotels are having all legal permits and are paying all necesary taxes! On
the same page the owners of Deja Vue  - who caused the supreme courts
decision for putting a lawsuit after this mostly gay/lesbian disco whas
target of a violant police action which had no legal backround! -
confirmed that gay/lesbian tourist like to travel in groups or with their
longtime companion and  that's all and that gay's are as normal as any
other person. The hotel owners are confirming that they operate simply as
hoteles and nothing else!)

        6/15/95
        Front Page:
        For articles at "La Prensa Libre"
        INDIGNATION IN GAY COMMUNITY
        . they are receiving support letters from abroad
        . they will take case to comisions for the Human Rights

        Article Headline and Intention:
        For publicacions from "La Prensa Libre"
        INDIGNATION IN GAY COMMUNITY

        (this article is dedicated completely to the letters of protest
being sent to us, tourist bureau, tourist chamber, etc. and contains some
of the letters fully printed, which are stating the Costa Rica's
international reputation is damaged by the discrimination of 
gay/lesbians.
The article contains my statements that the gay/lesbian travel market is 
a
clean and healthy sector of international tourisme which has nothing to 
do
with drugs and/or drugs, the only bad thing of this article is that at 
the
end we are connected again to  end: Jacobo Schifter from the 
latinamerican
institute for prevention and edducion in health sector says that sex
tourisme is against safer sex and sex for money should not be promoted. I
accused Schifter for relating us again to sex tourisme and he called me
back immediatly to declare that he was interviewed over sex tourisme only
and that he is convinced that our place have nothing to do withit, only
that reporter Rosibel Mena printed only what was convenient for her!!)

        6/16/95
        Front Page:
        Homosexuality is something normal in the area
        IMPACT OF VALUES IN QUEPOS
        . formation of cildren in confuse situation
        . wide ranged analyses from specialists about phenomen

        Article Headline and Intention:
        IN QUEPOS IMPACT OF VALUES
        . some behave tolerant meanwhile others wants to keep ideas from 
the
        past. Many citizen consider that gays take parte of the every day 
live
The report names people from health ministery, teacher and citizins 
stating
the the time has come to accept gay/lesbians as part of the society, even
if it will cause a change in traditional values and that concerning Safer
Sex and AIDS the gay/lesbian society is the most sexually educated part 
of
the Costarican society.

        The only negative response came from Roman Catholic Church made 
by
the local priest stating that homosexuality is abnormal and not wanted by
the Lord and that the Holy Institution of Marriage between Men and Woman 
is
the only acceptable form of living together in human society.

-----------------------------

The paper "La Nacion" decided not to continue the reports about
sex-tourisme naming our hotel dedicated to sex-tourisme for being gay 
owned
and dedicated to the gay/lesbian travel market!

-----------------------------

After reading carefully all articles to find out whom we have to make
responsible I come to the following conclusions:

1. The papers "La Nacion" and "La Prensa Libre" cannot be sewed directly
because the articles were signed by the reporter itself and therefore
representing her opinion (OK, the paper let her publishing the articles,
but that/s journalistic freedom, too)

2. The Costarican government is not to blame:
        - Tourist Ministery claimed that we have all legal permits and we
are paying all necessary taxes.
        - Tourist Ministery said that they do not want Costa Rica to be
promoted as sex paradise. They never connected that statement to the 
hotels
Colours, Joluva or Casa Blanca. We do not want sex tourisme either!
        - Supreme Court decided that gays/lesbians are protected by Costa
Rica's constitution and against discriminacion (Deja Vue case) and they 
are
allowed to create places dedicated to their own community!

3. Jacobo Schifter is not to blame:
        - Jacobo Schifter was against his intention related to the
gay/lesbian hotels. When he was interwieved he said clearly that he do 
not
consider Colours, Joluva, Casa Blanca places for prostitution nor sex
tourisme!

4. The only person we have to accuse for is the reporter Rosibel Mena
V.herself for the following reasons:
        - Difamation and discrimination for connecting clearly the hotels
Joluva Colours and Casa Blanca to sex tourisme and prostitution for the
synonymous use of "Prostitution" and "Homosexuality and "Sex Tourisme"
        - Damage of personal reputation and for putting our lifes under
threats from homophobic persons following her prejudgments and synonymous
use of "Prostitution" and "Homosexuality" and "Sex Tourisme"
        - Damage to our business reputation as honorable member of the
national / international travel market.
        - Falsification of facts (like that we never were asked to be in
the package which caused the articles, that this package never started to
be promoted (statement of Amphitron Holidays)
        - Putting statements of ministeries, authorities, institutions
about sex tourisme together into an article about our places which was
never the itention of the same minsteries, authorities, institutions but
which happend on purpose by her (which leaves open if all those
ministeries, authorities, institutions wants to join our lawsuit?!)
        - damagin the reputation of Costa Rica, its government, its
citizens for mounting the image that Costa Rica allows the violation of 
the
Magna Carta of the Human Rights from the UNO and allows discrimination of
minorities!!

With our lawyers we will define and elaborate on monday 6/19/95 the
accusation based on above named evaluation and based on the resolutions
from the supreme court and the statements of the governmental 
institutiones
which are all in our favour!

The incredible international support in our fight against discrimination 
of
the gay/lesbian society and the gay/lesbian travel market helped us to 
get
at least
the chance to speak freely in the last two articles about what we are and
what we and the gay/lesbian supportive society are standing for!

Without your help it would have been impossible and whow knows what
articles what have followed by her or by other reporters!

Please continue to send letters of your support to the named numbers to
show all institutions that the gay/lesbian international society exists 
and
that this society defends its rights and that we are not to be named
prostitutes and sex tourists only for being gay/lesbian!

I will keep you informed about the results of the live Talk-Show on 
Channel
4 this Monday 6/19/95 at 10:00 PM local time!

Life will stay difficult for a while, until homophobics will stop to 
threat
us on the phone, on the streets and by spraying offenses against the 
walls
of our businesses as already happening in case of Colours!

Thank you very much in the name of Colours, Joluva, Casa Blanca and the
whole Costa Rica gay/lesbian society and all tolerant Costaricans

Kindest regards out of the tropics.....

Harald Holler

Hotel Casa Blanca
Manuel Antonio / Costa Rica
**********************************
Petition against discrimination of GLBT in Costa Rica is being found on:

http://www.cts.com/~drcarr/gay_travel/costa1.html

or search in the search programs (like Yahoo) for "gay travel" and look
under "The gay lesbian travel web"!!!!!

We need your support

thank you very much
****************************

I got finally the e-mail address of the informatic center of the 
Costarican
government.

Instead writing faxes to all governmental institutions please include in
the selfsending petitions the following e-mail address:

[email-masked]
****************************