Subject: Need info. New AIDS law in Costa Rica
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 11:58:05 -0600

The government of Costa Rica is beginning to hold hearings on the proposed
new "General Law About AIDS."
We at the Triangulo Rosa gay/lesbian Association are very concerned about
this law. Although it does contain provisions protecting PWA=B4s from
discrimination, it also contains two  very disturbing articles.

Article 44:   "A prison term of 3 to 8 years will be imposed on a  person,
who, knowing that he or she is infected with HIV,  has sexual relations,
oral, anal, or vaginal, with another person."

Article 45 imposes a prison sentence of 10-20 years for anyone who has
sexual  relations as above, that results in the actual infection of another
person.

Very briefly, it is our impression that this law is very dangerous for
several reasons. !) It will cause HIV+ persons to have to go even further
underground than they already are in  our culture, even possibly avoiding
the few supportive programs that exist. 2) It could lead to "witch hunts" by
police or government authorities on various levels including gays, as well
as HIV+ people. 3) It will require potential "witnesses" to violate
confidentiality.  4) It is unenforceable and will not work at all towards
meaningful prevention.

At the present time,  we are seeking information via e-mail about the
existence of other similar laws
in other countries.  Do such laws exist?  If so, how are they being
enforced?  What does the international community think of such a law?.

Our strongest  weapon in fighting such a law may be information and support
that we receive from the international community, so your responses could be
very important.

For now, we are asking only that information be sent to us here at Triangulo
Rosa, because we would like to use to influence the hearings being held on
the law, while it is still possible to modify the law.

So please send us your comments, and specific information from other
countries,  to  [email-masked]. co.cr.  We also have a fax/phone at (506)
442-7375.

Thank you.

The Directors of Triangulo Rosa
Costa Rica