Subject: RE: UNAIDS THEME GROUP: CENTRAL AMERICA
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 22:06:04 -0600 (CST)

News From Triangulo Rosa/Asociación of Costa Rican People Living With AIDS:

LETTER TO PAHO  CRITICIZES  UNAIDS THEME GROUP  IN SAN JOSE

San Jose, Costa Rica
14 June, 1998

In a letter sent to Officials of the Pan American Health Organization in
Washington (PAHO), representatives of the Costa Rican Association of  People
Living with AIDS (ASOVIH) and the gay/lesbian association Triangulo Rosa,  have
criticized the apparent  lack of any cohesive functioning on the part of the
so-called  UNAIDS "theme group," here in San Jose.

 Richard Stern of Triangulo Rosa and Guillermo Murillo of ASOVIH sent the
letter to  PAHO
on May 29th.  According to Stern "the issue is an important one.  UNAIDS
continues to
refer to the "theme group" as the avenue by which proposals may be
considered,   programs supported, and dialogues initiated. Yet the reality
is that the theme group  exists virtually in name only."   

In their letter Stern and Murillo refer to their concerns  that "the theme
group is a kind of Catch 22...We have been told by UNAIDS in Geneva that the
theme group is the place to present a proposal and  dialogue about our
concerns.   Yet the person who is supposed to be the  chairperson, Dr.
Marcia Moreira, of PAHO in Costa Rica acknowledges that the theme group
meets irregularly and doesn't have any clear cut guidelines from UNAIDS as
to its functions.

"We met with Dr. Moreira on April 21st and she promised us a response within
two weeks and as of June 14th, we are still waiting for even an
acknowledgment of the proposal we presented.   These kinds of situations
only occur in the developing world where People with AIDS have not generally
formed organized groups to advocate for their needs and interests.   In
Europe or the US, this situation,  which has existed in Central America for
about two years, would have been challenged by activists long ago.    We
feel an obligation to  at least mention the situation after listening to
references to the "theme group" for over six months," they commented.  

"Apparently in other regions, the theme group has taken its role seriously
and is playing an important part in  participating with NGO's to improve the
situation of People Living with AIDS.  Here we are still waiting to get a
return call from Dr. Moreira after leaving more than  a dozen messages
during the last month. We have no doubt that whether people live or die in
our region is related to the efficiency   of  International Organizations
such as UNAIDS and PAHO,  that seem to be completely silent in our region
about AIDS related issues.   In our proposal we  have asked  UNAIDS for help
in creating strong advocacy   groups of People Living with AIDS  throughout
Central America. These groups would then work for access to treatment and to
call attention to human rights abuses.  (Actually, obviously, we are not
waiting for UNAIDS and we have already begun this process, but we have no
funding as such, just a few donations by concerned individuals.) 

 "But apparently the theme group chairperson has yet to read the  proposal.
We actually sent this same proposal to UNAIDS representative Angel
Fulladolsa in Guatemala in November of 1997, and then to Geneva in March.
Luis Loures of UNAIDS  in Geneva then referred us to the "theme group."
directed by  Dr. Merlin Fernandez of PAHO San Jose. But Dr. Fernandez told
us that Dr. Moreira is the theme group chairperson, and Dr. Moreira gives
the impression that she does not have time to deal with theme group
related responsibilities.

"We have sent the letter to PAHO as well as to Peter Piot, UNAIDS Director,
because we feel that PAHO has the responsibility to carry out the theme
group in an effective manner, or report to UNAIDS that it cannot do so."

Stern and Murillo added that they hope that the upcoming  Geneva meeting
will offer an opportunity for people from developing countries  to
accurately present the situations they face and for UNAIDS officials to
attempt to clarify and explain what  programs such as the "theme groups" are
supposed to be doing.

A copy of the letter sent to PAHO, as well as other writings about AIDS in
Central America,  is available by writing to  Stern and Murillo at
[email-masked].

360 people living with AIDS in Costa Rica are receiving triple therapy
medication paid for by
the government's National Health Insurance  program, but the triple therapy
medication is not provided in  any other Central American nation. An
estimated 10,000 persons in Central America are in need of these medications.

For more information:

Richard Stern/Guillermo Murillo
Triangulo Rosa, ASOVIH
Apartado 366-2200
Coronado, Costa Rica
Tel/Fax  506-234-2411 /Richard Stern
                  506-258-0214/Triangulo Rosa
                  506-433-8522/Guillermo Murillo
e-mail: [email-masked]
              [email-masked]
              [email-masked]