Subject: REPLY FROM UNAIDS: Central America
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 21:32:48 -0600 (CST)

From Richard Stern and Guillermo Murillo
Agua Buena Human Rights Coalition
Costa Rica
6 April, 1998

In response to our fax dated 23 March, 1998 and sent to Peter Piot, we have
received the following response by fax  from  UNAIDS, dated  3 April, 1998

The response was written by Luiz Loures,  whose title is "Team Leader for
Latin American and the Carribean, Country Support."
____________________________________________________________________________
_______

 Dear Mr Stern and Mr Murillo
        
                Further to your  letter dated 23 March 1998 regarding UNAIDS
in the Central American region, which  you addressed to the Executive
Director of UNAIDS, we are pleased to clarify below the four issues you raised:
        
        1.) As you pointed out in your letter,UNAIDS is in the process of
recruiting a new Inter Country Programme Adviser ( ICPA) for Central America
based in Guatemala. According to UNAIDS procedures, the post was widely
advertised. The selection procedure follows the UN rules. Very soon the
selection Commitee, composed of representatives of the cosponsoring
agencies, wiil nominate the new ICPA. Moreover, discussions are well
advanced in order to place one more staff in the region.
        
        2.) UNAIDS is making a major effort at this time in the region to
support national strategic planning on HIV/ AIDS. This process will
contribute to a greater involvement of NGO's and people living with HIV/AIDS
in the response to the epidemic. The process has already started in
Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador. You wiil find complementary information
in the attached document "Introduction to the strategic planning process for
a national response to HIV/AIDS" . The budget for Latin American and the
Caribbean  ( LAC). The total amount for the LAC is of US dollars  5, 547,000
for the biennium 1998/1999.
        
        3.) There is no automatic mechanism that guarantees funding  for "
grass roots" NGOs as the collaboration is a result of contacts between our
Theme Groups and the ONGs. Thus, there are  no "application procedures" that
we can refer you to. We recognize the importance of the issues that you are
bringing up and will advise our staff accordingly.
        
        4.) The point is noted.
        
        I hope that this information will clarify your concern and
facilitate a better understanding of UNAIDS and its work in the Central
American region.

                        Your sincerely,
                                                                (signed)
                                                                Luiz Loures   
                                                                 UNAIDS
                                                                20, Avenue Appia
                                                                Geneva 27,
Switzerland