From: Phillip Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 96 19:17:00 PDT

Today (May 9, 1996) in Canada, the Federal Legislature passed Bill C-33, an 
amendment to the Canadian Human Rights Act which prohibits discrimination on 
the basis of sexual orientation. This Act applies to federal government 
departments, Crown corporations and agencies, as well as businesses under 
federal jurisdiction. These include major employers such as banks, airlines, 
railways, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and Canada Post. Of Canada's 
10 provinces and 2 territories, 7 provinces and 1 territory protect it's 
citizens from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Today, only 
Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and the Northwest Territories 
don't protect sexual minorities from discrimination.
The free vote was 153 in favour and 76 against, of which 29 of the governing 
Liberal party members voted with the right wing Reform party. 

******************************************************************************
* To subscribe to QUEERPLANET, send mail to:   [email-masked]      *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe queerplanet   *
* To unsubscribe to QUEERPLANET, send mail to:   [email-masked]    *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe queerplanet   *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                              *
******************************************************************************