Subject: (fwd) Conference on Same-Sex Abuse:Kingston, Ont
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 17:14:14 -0400

CONFERENCE ON ABUSE IN SAME-SEX RELATIONSHIPS
October 22, 1994
In the Policy Studies Conferece Room 202.
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Phone (613): 545-2960  FAX: (613) 545-6576

Objectives of the Conference:
I:a) to help service providers and support recognise and learn to address
  same-sex abuse.
  b) to make service providers and support aware of (hidden) issues and
  needs of the abused in same-sex relationships
  c) recognising barriers in service provision -- personal and
  institutional
  d) identifying what should exist to help surviviors and those dealing
  with abuse in same-sex relationship
II:a) to inform survivors, those dealing with abuse in same-sex
   relationships, and caregivers about personal experiences
   b) to analyse barriers to getting help that survivors have needed or
   need (from the survivors perspective)
   c) to look at what should exist in care provision and support from the
   survivors perspective
   d) working towards achieving these goals and empowering individuals

Mackintosh-Corry Hall D209 (womyn only) and Mackintosh-Corry D211 will
be availbable for those wishing to take breaks from the conference--
volunteers will be avialable for help.

PROGRAMME:
8:30-9:15 Registration
9:15-9:30   Introductions
9:30-10:45  Survivors share their experiences (Policy Studies Rm 202)
10:45-11:00 Break
11:00-12:15 Service Providors and Support-- the origins and the reasons
for the perpetuation of abuse in same-sex relationships-- how to
recognize and address the abuse (Policy Studies 202)
11:00-12:15 Survivors and Support-- looking at the abuse and its
perpetuation in same sex relationships (Mackintosh-Corry Rm B201)
12:15-1:15  Lunch-bring your own or eat at one of the many restaurants in
Kingston.115-215 Service providers and Support -- continuation of the
morning sessions (policy Studies rm 202)
1:15-2:15   Survivors and Support-- continuation of the morning sessions
(Mackintosh-Corry rm B201)
2:15-2:30   Break
2:30-3:45   Service Providers and Support-- looking at would should exist
in service provision for survivors and identifying barriers to ending
violence as well as barriers in service provision and support (Policy
Studies rm 202)
2:30-3:45   Survivors and Support-- barrieres survivors have faced or are
facing in terms of support, resources, service provision -- also looking
at what survivors have found helpful (Mackintosh-Corry rm B201)
3:45-4:30   Panel Discussions-- Survivors and Service Providers together
sharing visions of what should exist and developing strategies to bring
what should exist into being (Policy Studies Rm 202)
4:30-4:45   Closing
4:45-5:00   Wind-down

REGISTRATION FEES SLIDING SCALE:
1) Employed: $15-$25; $10-$15; $5-$10
2) Non-Profit Group: $30/10 people;$25/5 people; $15/3 people or less
3) Unemployed/Student: $0-$5
Other donations are greatly appreciated to cover the cost of the
conference. If you or your group is interested in attending please
contact the Kingston Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Association (LGBA) 51
Queen's Crescent, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6

SPEAKERS:
Donnal MacAulay MSW, CSW
Donna has given many workshps to health care providers and shelter
workers. Donna has spoken most recently at the Guelph sexuality
conference and the National Gay and Lesbian Health Conference in New
York. Donna takes a pro-feminist approach on dealing with abuse in
same-sex relationships.

Nike Mule MSW
Nick is a social worker with over six years experience. He counselled
abusive men of opposite-sex partners and children of abused mothers for
close to three years at Social Services of Hamilton-Wentworth INc. Nick
has addressed the issue of abuse in same-sex relationships in support
groups and on support lines. Active with the Coalition for Lesbian and
Gay Rights Ontazrio, Amnesty International Members for Lesbian and Gay
Concerns and Project Affirmation (among others), Nick has spoken on the
issue at conferences in Hamilton, Guelph, Toronto, Vancouver and New
York City

Alisa Craig
Alisa Craig has spoken on CFRB and CKLN radio, at George Brown College,
and to the Globe and Mail about issues in Lesbian relationships. Her
writing has been published in Xtra!, Quota and Undercurrents, and shi is
currently working on a resource novel for surviviors. Alisa writes
poetry, fiction, non-fiction and tales for fairies. She is living
happily ever after with her life-partner and two cats in the magical
land of downtown Toronto.

Karl Penton
Retired at teh age of twenty from a professional acting career, Karl
moved to Troronto in 1988 and by accident fell into a professional music
career. Two albums and two tours later his is currently recording his
first up-coming solo album "Healing the Pain", and he is also a law
student.