=============================================================
>From the Action Alerts column in the December 1992 issue of
Socialism and Sexuality, the quarterly newsletter of the
Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual Commission of the Democratic Socialists
of America.  You may reproduce this information freely pro-
vided you credit the source.

For information on the Commission's electronic mailing list
contact [email-masked]

Subscriptions to S+S are $8 per year payable to Chicago DSA,
1608 N. Milwaukee #403, Chicago, IL 60647.
============================================================

November 24, 1992

ANTI-GAY MURDERS CONTINUE IN BRAZIL

Grupo Gay de Bahia, the most active gay organization in Brazil,
has released files documenting 1200 murders of gay men over the
past decade in Brazil.  The group also has documented the
existence of twelve Brazilian paramilitary organizations that
have dedicated themsleves to "exterminating" homosexuals and
transvestites from Brazil.

Over 90% of these crimes go unprosecuted, partly due to rampant
homophobia within the Brazilian judiciary.  One judge told Luis
Mott, president of Grupo Gay de Bahia, that "to kill a gay is
like killing a dog".  In the few cases where charges are filed
the murderers often go free or receive light sentences, claiming
that they were forced to defend their honor against sexual advances
by the victims.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Write to the following officials of the Brazilian government,
and demand that Brazil begin to apprehend, prosecute, and punish
those who commit violence against gay men and transvestites.
Also urge the government to eliminate anti-gay prejudice within
the Brazilian courts and to invalidate "defense of honor" as
grounds for justifiable homicide.

Secretario de Direitos Humanos
Ministerio de Justisa
Brasilia
BRAZIL

Celio Borja
Minster of Justice
Brasilia
BRAZIL

Reinhold Stepanes
Minister of Social Welfare
Brasilia
BRAZIL

Ambassador Rubens Ricupero
Brazilian Embassy
3006 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20008

202-745-2700 voice
202-728-2827 fax

Air-mail letters from the U.S. to Brazil require a 50-cent stamp.

Please send copies of any letters you send or receive during
this campaign to the International Gay and Lesbian Human
Rights Commission at 540 Castro St., San Francisco, CA 94114.