From: [email-masked] (Alejandra Sarda)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 95 16:41:17 ARG

THE MYSTERY OF ARGENTINEAN CONSERVATIVES

Eduardo Duhalde is the Governor of Buenos Aires, the most
populated and influential province in Argentina. A popular -
conservative, until now his management has been backed up by
more than generous funds supplied by the Federal Government.
Those funds are destined to public works that generate
employment oportunities and a positive image for the
government, and also to welfare work . His province displays,
and not by mere coincidence, one of the country's most violent
police forces together with alarming poverty rates.

One of the last bills issued by Governor Duhalde was the one
prohibiting any type of public activities in the province
after 3 a.m, aimed at reducing drug comsumption and crime.

In that context, his sayings to the newspaper Pagina 12 on
July 29, seem particularly misterious. During the same
interview in which he states that "to killy an embryo is a
crime", after denying that young women who are forced to abort
(by sheer poverty) are treated like criminals in his province
(abortion is illegal in Argentina; the woman who has the
abortion and the person who helps her to have it are both
penalized), when asked what he thinks of gays marching for
their rights, the Governor answers as follows:

"I seriously regret they have to march in order to be
recognized. This issue of being discriminated against based on
your sexual preference is completely absurd. I feel sorry. I
think this type of things should not be happening, the whole
thing is outdated"

Hypothesis:

- The Governor is planning to run for President in 1999 and
homosexual votes look tempting to him.

- Homosexuals are not so threatening to "good society" any
more, as we now have other species like unemployed people,
public officers in revolt because the Government has not payed
them their wages for months, etc. 

- Others ..... (to be completed by the reader)

Alejandra Sarda
"Escrita en el cuerpo" - Archivo y Biblioteca Lesbica
("Written on the body" - Lesbian Archive and Library)

N.B.: According to how the question posed to the Governor and
his answer sound in Spanish, they refer to male homosexuals
only. His opinion on lesbians is unknown.

--
[email-masked]

< Fin - End >

******************************************************************************
To send a message to the entire list "queerplanet", email [email-masked]

This list is run by the program [email-masked].
*******************************************************************************