Subject: Zimbabwe Censors Gays/Books
From: [email-masked] (Deacon Maccubbin)
Date: 27 Jul 95 15:59:13 GMT

According to a Reuters report, the government of Zimbabwe is trying to ban
gays and lesbians from taking part in the Zimbabwe International Bookfair
opening Friday. Ironically, the theme of this year's book fair is human
rights.

The Zimbabwe government's action has come under fire from various human
rights groups, including Zimrights and Amnesty International.

"We strongly condemn the government's move to pressure the ZIBF (Zimbabwe
International Book Fair) to stop GALZ (Gays and Lesbians of Zimbabwe) from
participating," said Reginald Matchaba-Hove, chairman of local human rights
watchdog, Zimrights. "It goes against the grain of freedom of expression
and association," he told reporters.

A Zimbabwean government directive, signed by information, posts and
telecommunications director Bornwell Chakaodza, said the government was
"shocked and dismayed" at the fair organizers' decision to let GALZ take
part in the fair. The directive threatened that the government would
withdraw its patronage of the book fair were GALZ allowed to participate
because it would be "tantamount to legitimizing homosexuality."

Under common Zimbabwean law, sodomy and "unnatural sexual
acts" are illegal, but the status of gays and lesbians is less clear.

According to Reuters, "the government move came hours before GALZ convened
its first public seminar in Harare which was attended by human rights
organizations, including Amnesty International and homosexual activists
from Zimbabwe and South Africa.

South African judge Edwin Cameron urged the seminar participants to push
for constitutional protection for homosexuals against harassment and
discrimination similar to that contained in the South African constitution.

"Constitutional protection is not only socially necessary. It is a mark of
civilization...a necessary beacon to our continent and the world," said
Cameron.

Comments may be addressed to The Embassy of Zimbabwe, 1608 New Hampshire
Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20009, phone 202-332-7100 (voice) or 202-483-9326
(FAX). You may also write to: Ministry of Information, Box CY1276,
Causeway, Harare, Zimbabwe.

/s/ Deacon Maccubbin
========================================================
LAMBDA RISING BOOKSTORES - E-mail address: [email-masked]
Every Gay & Lesbian Book in Print - Videos, Music, & Gifts, Too!
FREE Catalog by Mail - Out-of-Print Book Search Service
========================================================