Subject: UFMCC Global Outreach Statement
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 15:15:41 -0400 (EDT)

A Statement by
The Rev. Judy Dahl
Director of Global Outreach
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
concerning the participation of
The Rev. Sylvanius Maduka, UFMCC Area Coordinator for Nigeria,
at General Conference XVIII in Sydney, Australia

July 10, 1997

_________________
____________
_________

It is with great joy that I report that the Rev. Sylvanius Maduka, UFMCC Area
Coordinator for Nigeria, will attend and participate in UFMCC's General
Conference XVIII in Sydney, Australia July 20-25, 1997.

This is cause for great rejoicing!

Pastor Maduka last attended UFMCC General Conference in Washington, DC in
1976.  For the past 21 years, he has sought -- and been refused -- a visa to
attend our international church conferences.

Today, I am pleased to announce that the Australian Minister of Immigration
has confirmed that a travel visa has been issued.

It is also with joy I report that we have been in communication with Pastor
Maduka and that we have secured his travel and lodging.  By fax, he has
confirmed that he will attend and participate in this historic conference.

This will be the first time in UFMCC's 29-year history that every country of
Global Outreach will be represented at our General Conference.  This marks
another historic first for our gathering in Sydney -- and represents a
significant step in fulling our conference theme: "You are the Light of the
World."

The Rev. Elder Troy Perry added, "I am thrilled at the work of the Rev. Greg
Smith, UFMCC District Coordinator for Australia, and his team of dedicated
leaders who worked so diligently with the Ministry of Immigration to actually
reverse the earlier denial and obtain this travel visa.  Their efforts on
behalf of human rights and spiritual justice will result in Pastor Maduka's
historic visit with our larger church family at UFMCC's General Conference
XVIII."

In expressing his pleasure with the outcome of this human rights campaign,
the Rev. Greg Smith gave special recognition to the work of the Sydney
Organising Team, and to the efforts of Chris Puplick.

As a result of this action, every UFMCC Global Outreach country will be
represented at General Conference XVIII in Sydney.

As UFMCC Area Coordinator for Nigeria, the Rev. Sylvanius Maduka provides
spiritual direction and resources to more 1500 Nigerian UFMCCers in 20 MCC
congregations across the nation.

(END)
____________________________
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-mail: [email-masked]

Internet Website: www.ufmcc.com