From: Bjoern Skolander <[email-masked]>

The Windhoek Advertiser
Stübel Street Windhoek, NAMIBIA
Friday 13 December 1996

LET'S TALK, GAYS URGE PRESIDENT
By Erhard Günzel

An obscure local gay rights organisation, apparently ruffled by President
Sam Nujoma's public whipping of homosexuals at the weekend, yesterday said
it wanted to meet the Head of State to clear up misconceptions regarding 
the sexual orientation of its lot.

The Rainbow Project, which represents members of the gay and lesbian
community in Namibia, said in a statement to The Windhoek Advertiser 
that it had noted with great concern President Nujoma's public statement 
at the opening of the Swapo Women's Council Congress in Gobabis over the
weekend. 

President Nujoma reportedly said all necessary steps must be taken to 
combat "all influences that are influencing us and our children in a
negative way".

He also reportedly said homosexuals should be condemned and rejected in
Namibia. 

A woman activist from Africa who attended the opening of the congress
reported the President's remarks to this paper.

The Rainbow Project pointed out in the statement that Prime Minister Hage
Geingob had in 1990, following discussions with members of the gay
community, assured homosexuals and lesbians of their rights in terms of
Article 10.2 of the country's Constitution.

The statement read in part: "We request you (President Nujoma) not to make
public statements regarding issues you are not familiar with and which in
return will have a detrimental impact on part of the Namibian
population.

"It added: "The gay community of Namibia strongly urges you not to
marginalise and discriminate against us, nor incite the masses which could
lead to regrettable deeds.

"We are prepared to meet you to clear up misconceptions regarding our 
sexual orientation of which we are proud of and not prepared to apologise for."