From: Bjoern Skolander <[email-masked]>

PRESS RELEASE
Stockholm 18-12-1996

THE PRESIDENT OF NAMIBIA INCITES TO HATRED AGAINST HOMOSEXUALS

"Homosexuals must be condemned and rejected in our society". This fierce
attack was made by Namibia's President, Sam Nujoma, at a public meeting.

According to the newspaper The Windhoek Advertiser, 12 December, the
Namibian President attacked gays in his speech at the opening of the Swapo
Women's Council Congress in Gobabis on 7 December, 1996. Nujoma is reported
to have said that "all necessary steps must be taken to combat all
influences that are influencing us and our children in a negative way.
Homosexuals must be condemned and rejected in our society".

- We are deeply worried about this report, says RFSL's chairman Haakan
Andersson. Homosexuality is still criminalized in Namibia, and the
President's statement could be the starting signal of an active persecution
by the Namibian authorities. RFSL has today written to the Ministry for
Foreign Affairs and asked for an investigation.

- The rights of homosexuals are human rights, continues Haakan Andersson.
Oppression and persecution of different groups should never be accepted.
Will Sweden continue its aid program in Namibia if its homosexuals are
persecuted?

In 1996 Namibia received 112,5 million Swedish Kroner (112,500,000) in
financial aid from Sweden.

The Swedish Federation for Gay and Lesbian Rights (RFSL)
Box 350
S-101 26 STOCKHOLM
SWEDEN

Tel: +46 8 736 02 13
Fax: +46 8 30 47 30