From: [email-masked] (Bjoern Skolander)

From The Namibian Friday January 17 1997

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

An Open Letter To President Nujoma

I AM greatly disappointed to learn of your reported recent remarks against
homosexuals at the opening of the Swapo Women's Council Congress in Gobabis.
As you well know from your own nation's struggle, the strength and promise
of a nation comes from the vigilance of its citizens to achieve and maintain
democratic freedom. Democratic freedom includes the rights of all citizens
to exercise their own lifestyles and beliefs, so long as they do not
infringe on the rights of others.

Homosexuals in Namibia and around the world are deserving of these same
rights and obligations.

Homosexuals and homosexuality is found in nearly all cultures of the
world.  Existing and emerging evidence on homosexuality in Africa finds that
it is part of many traditional and current African cultures.  It appears
that many of the taboos and negative perspectives on homosexuality in Africa
were brought from outside these societies during the colonial period - not
by the indigenous societies themselves.

Though the research on the origins of individual homosexual orientation is
still ongoing, it is relatively clear that homosexual orientation is formed
very early in life, if not even being partly or largely genetically
influenced.  Homosexuals do not and cannot persuade or influence children to
become homosexual.  And, in fact, studies in the United States suggest that
child abusers are far more often heterosexual than homosexual. There is no
reason to believe that this is any different in other countries.

Much of the recent negative attention on homosexuality can be traced to the
fact that the HIV virus and AIDS first effected the Western European gay
community disproportionately.  However, it is clear that unsafe sexual
practice - homosexual or heterosexual - is responsible for the tragic spread
of HIV. With Western gays having responded actively to teach and practice
prevention, the rate of infection is slowing among gays while rates among
heterosexuals continues to rise rapidly.  There is an important lesson here:
homosexuals (and heterosexuals) need to be taught about safer sex; this
requires them to feel comfortable to come forward for education, HIV
testing, and the like.  Quoting from a study conducted among hundreds of
homosexual men, "the most important component of preventing HIV infection
among gay men is their willingness to identify themselves as gay, and to
become sexually-confident, well-educated gay men, who are sexually and
socially engaged with community."

In sum, an open, nondiscriminatory political and social environment towards
homosexuals supports public health improvements, social advancement, and
democratic rights.  I urge you and other African leaders to acknowledge and 
respect the rights and interests of African homosexuals in your nation 
and across the continent.

DR MATTHEW ROBERTS
WASHINGTON, DC  USA