From: (David Lush) [email-masked]

FEBRUARY 3, 1997

The Journalists Association of Namibia (JAN) is horrified by the total
disregard for freedom of expression shown by the recent statement of SWAPO
spokesperson Alpheus Naruseb about gay people in Namibia.

Through their work, journalists exercise the right of every citizen to free
expression, and therefore it is of utmost concern to an organisation such
as JAN, which represents journalists, when freedom of expression is abused
in such a way.

By saying that homosexuality should be "uprooted totally as a practice", Mr
Naruseb implies that gay people have no right not only to express
themselves, but also to exist in Namibia. Put into practice, Mr !Naruseb's
comments would become a flagrant violation of the fundamental rights -
including the right of every person to express themselves freely -
enshrined in the constitution.

JAN recognises that freedom of expression also has its limits. These limits
occur when freedom of expression infringes upon other fundamental rights;
for example when hate speech is used to incite violence against or the
oppression of a group or individuals. By calling for homosexuality to be
"uprooted", Mr Naruseb is dabbling in the loathsome practice of hate
speech, and in so doing he is going beyond the bounds of free expression.

In his statement, Mr Naruseb went on to refer to the "moral values of our
Nation" which he uses to justify the suppression of gay people. In so
doing, Mr !Naruseb implies that the morals of the majority are somehow
above the constitution, which guarantees equality and freedom for ALL
Namibians, majorities and minorities alike. Again, JAN cannot condone such
disregard for Namibia's supreme law.

Since independence, the Government and SWAPO have done much to promote
freedom of expression and media freedom. JAN therefore calls upon
government and the ruling party to distance themselves from Mr Naruseb's
comments, and to reiterate their commitment to the fundamental rights which
we cherish.

ends

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT JAN CHAIRPERSON DAVID LUSH 
ON TEL. +264 61 232975, FAX. 248016, e-mail: [email-masked]

David Lush
Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA)
Private Bag 13386
Windhoek, Namibia
Tel. +264 61 232975, Fax. 248016
e-mail: [email-masked]