Subject: Queer Watch at Shepard trial to oppose death penalty
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 01:32:29 EST

NEWS FROM QUEER WATCH
For Immediate Release
November 3, 1999

Media Contacts:
Bill Dobbs & Michael Petrelis
Phone: 307-745-4853

Queer Watch activists arrive in Wyoming; gay voices raised to oppose death 
penalty in Matthew Shepard murder prosecution

Laramie, Wyoming - Two members of the gay rights group Queer Watch arrived in 
Laramie yesterday where a jury is deliberating the fate of Aaron McKinney, 
accused of the the brutal murder of gay student Matthew Shepard.

Queer Watch opposes the death penalty in all cases.  Last winter, Queer 
Watch's stance sparked a controversy within the gay and lesbian community 
about the death penalty, finally catalyzing many gay and lesbian 
organizations around the country to stand jointly against this cruel and 
unusual punishment.  

Bill Dobbs of New York City and Michael Petrelis of San Francisco are now in 
Laramie for the jury deliberations.

"We demand justice, not vengeance.  We cannot be silent about this serious 
human rights issue.  We urge others to join us, to speak out against a 
possible death sentence in this case," said Petrelis.  

"We deplore the silence on this issue by national gay groups that have sent 
representatives to Wyoming. The fight against the death penalty, as a human 
rights issue, is ultimately a fight for the protection of the rights of gay 
people as well," said Dobbs.

"If McKinney is sentenced to die, it will not bring Matthew Shepard back to 
life," Petrelis said.  "The only motive for capital punishment is revenge."

-30-