Subject: UFMCC Responds to Savage Wyoming Hate Crime
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 02:21:56 EDT

From The News Service
of the Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

A Public Statement by
The Rev. Troy D. Perry
In Response to The Anti-Gay Hate Crimes
Committed Against Matthew Shepard in Wyoming

October 11, 1998

TEXT OF STATEMENT:
Along with people around the world, I have found myself both saddened and
angered at the savage anti-gay hate crimes committed against Matt Shepard in
Laramie, Wyoming.

I am deeply saddened by the pain that Matt and his family are enduring and
saddened that the bright promise of his young life has so soon encountered the
forces of intolerance and hate.

But today I am also feeling a sense of righteous anger.  I believe with all my
heart that the on-going homophobia of the Religious Right -- including the
anti-gay ads which have appeared accross the country -- give fuel to the fires
of intolerance in our society.

Together, we must put the Radical Religious Right on notice: You can no longer
attack gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons with impunity.  You
can no longer wrap homophobia and prejudice in a false cloak of "compassion"
and "spirituality."

We must be reminded that words have power.  Words have power to heal.  And
they have power to hurt.

The on-going anti-gay campaigns of the Radical Religious Right continue to
cause incalculable harm to the lives and souls of gays and lesbians.  They
also provide a foundation which is used to justify hate crimes against our
people.

In almost every faith tradition, there is provision for atonement or
repentance.  I am publicly calling upon the leaders of the Radical Religious
Right -- specifically upon James Dobson, James Kennedy, Pat Robertson, Ralph
Reed and Jerry Falwell -- to repent of the sins you have committed against
God's gay and lesbian children.  And I call upon them to repent of all words
and actions which have been used to justify violence against any person
because of their sexual orientation.

I have designated the Rev. Mark Lee, pastor of MCC Light of the Plains in
Cheyenne, Wyoming, as our on-site UFMCC representative in Wyoming. Rev. Lee is
working with GLBT organizations in both Wyoming and Colorado to offer UFMCC's
support to Matt and his family and to offer the services of UFMCC to the GLBT
community during this time of trauma and pain.

As a positive step to counter anti-gay violence, the Rev. Elder Don Eastman of
UFMCC's Board of Elders has worked with our UFMCC staff members to prepare a
"Resource Kit for Responding to Anti-Gay Violence."  While it has been
designed for use in communities of faith, it may be adapted with ease for use
by any individual or organization. "The Resource Kit for Responding to Anti-
Gay Violence" includes ways we can support and encourage Matt Shepard and his
family, ways to further protections for gays and lesbians in Wyoming -- and
ways we can address the broader issues of anti-gay violence in our society.
This resource kit is available free upon request by e-mail at [email-masked]
or by fax at (310) 360-8680.

Finally, our staff has prepared liturgical resources which may be adapted by
any faith tradition or community for use in public prayer vigils on behalf of
Matt Shepard. These, too, are available free upon request.

On behalf of the 42,000 members and adherents of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches, I encourage all people of goodwill to join
with me in surrounding Matt Shepard and his family with prayers for God's
blessing, peace and healing and to redouble our shared commitment to building
a just society for all God's children.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com